Front Panel Proof Reading Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Siri
Common Wiggler

Post by Siri » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Hum... I just checked, on this bocgs for example...

The phaser doesn't follow what you say, but the ones who are 7 row do on the top, but not the bottom... :despair:

(edited)

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:58 pm

Yeah, just what negativspace said:

It's true that the grid is applied somewhat inconsistently in both the original Serge lineup and the third-party panels that followed.

On the Animal, for example, the 6-row columns on the PVCO are lined up with the 8-row grid at the top, but not the bottom:
http://serge-fans.com/newpics/panel_animal_150dpi.jpg

On the Soup Kitchen, the 6-row columns on WAD are not aligned at top or bottom, but on the Phaser, the left column is not lined up and the right column is:
http://serge-fans.com/newpics/panel_sou ... 150dpi.jpg

Just my opinion but I think all of these would look better if the top and bottom rows were aligned. There is enough space for all the labels, knob legends, etc as you can see on the Resonant EQ on the Soup Kitchen panel.

Siri
Common Wiggler

Post by Siri » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:28 pm

thanks sempervirent! :hail:

i should get another coffee maybe, but i can't understand how you did that.
I understand the top and bottom alignement, but is the vertical spacing between the rows consistent on the sample and hold module?

Should I take this lenght (top to bottom) and divide by five (i guess that would be the logic) but when i measure what you've done i don't get the same distance between each row (it's not the same distance between the centers of "clock led" <-> "rising" and "rising" <-> "falling". Unless you did that quickly just to illustrate?

Anyway it looks way better this way! I have until tonight to modify them so i will try different spacing but if by chance you can bring some light it's more than appreciated!

:nana: awesome topic

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:40 pm

No problem, glad to help.

Yes, what I posted was just a quick edit to illustrate the idea. I did move the Rising and Slew Speed jacks on the S&H module, but it's not to scale. You should divide the total grid by five, as you mentioned.

Make sure you use the same distance below each jack for the labels too. On your original post I noticed that Lag Out (on the Envelope Follower) and Slew Out (on the S&H) had different spacing between the jack and the text.

Siri
Common Wiggler

Post by Siri » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:08 pm

thanks for spotting the distance between text and jacks, i want them the same, ithat's a mistake!

The whole distance (top to bottom) is 5 1/4". Divided by 7, for the 8 row gives 0,75" (3/4"). For the 6 row grid, divided by 5 gives 1,05" (1 1/20") which cant fit on my 1/16" grid... So if i change my vertical grid to 1/10" it's in conflict with my 8 row grid...

Here are my two suggestions :

Or third suggestion, i put my guides every 1.05, but it's going to be a p.i.t.a for pisitionning the text, no?

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:18 pm

I'd go with 1.05" vertical spacing for the 6-row columns and stay with Serge-standard 0.75" for the 8-row columns. Visually, using equidistant spacing will probably look better.

For the text spacing, I wouldn't worry about a 1/16" grid for vertical alignment of text. It will not work out with the other grid math. Just choose a distance below each type of element (jack, knob, switch) that can be consistently applied across the two different grids (and the 4+3 grid for a 7-row column).

Siri
Common Wiggler

Post by Siri » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:47 pm

I just tried your suggestion, but it's starts to augment considerably the time it takes to design it as the text won't be anymore on the grid for the 6-row. Add to that the mode switch has to be on a row half way the 1rst and 2nd, the 2nd beeing already off the grid.

So i will do one of my two suggestions, i want to keep it simple and fun to do, so it has to be on the grid.

For reference here is my suggestions, followed by a quick mockup, the left being the left suggestion, and the right, the right one. Didn't choose yet!

EDIT :Left one it will be 8_)

thanks for your help sempervirent and negative space :bananaguitar:

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:48 pm

Looks good. Either way, I think the top/bottom alignment is an improvement, even if it's not strictly in line with the Serge precedent.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:50 pm

For any French speaking panel-makers... :lol: I chose to name these modules in French in a not-so-serious manner. (for example, I realize that Compliquer is to complicate rather than complex... so it's kind of a play on words for the complex oscillator) Anyway, I just picked these all via thesaurus and Google translation. I know a bit of french, but am open to suggestions for better names for these.

I was hoping to stay consistent using the root conjugation for these in a verb form, but then I came across Aleatoire for the random panel, and that kind of broke the convention.

Just wondering if these look ok as is, or if some helpful French-speaker wouldn't mind suggesting fun alternatives. :cloud:

The panels are 5U MOTM format, currently set up for banana jacks, but are also spaced with 1/4" jacks in mind. The holes need to be adjusted for that to .375" though. The small Euro Synth-Tech style Tyco knobs will be used, NKK toggles, and Lumex panel-mount LEDs. The power inlet fits a switched, filtered, Corcom/TE module.

Anyway, just curious on the naming scheme. Thanks for looking!

Just for the curious, this system contains 5 full V/Oct VCOs, 2 simple LFOs and a clock. It also contains 16 VCAs (though only 12 are accessible independently at a given time.) Can never have too many VCAs or VCOs! :lol:

:party:
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by emdot_ambient » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:23 pm

^^^That is awesome! I can't help but I hope others pop in and offer some advice...TBH, though, the pic is downsized enough to make it difficult to see the fine print.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:27 pm

emdot_ambient wrote:^^^That is awesome! I can't help but I hope others pop in and offer some advice...TBH, though, the pic is downsized enough to make it difficult to see the fine print.
True. The fine printer though is in English, or some abbreviated item. I've got those portions where they should be. I have a larger version I can link though. I'll upload it as soon as I get home later. It's too big for the forum though, so I'll just post a link. Thanks for the kind words!

Starspawn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Starspawn » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Heh, det naming scheme reminds us norwegians of a pair of scary puppets from the 70s, we can bend words so they end in -ER(E) and half the time those repairmen went around saying lots of such words.

So yeah, I might steal some of those names and use them in Norwegian on my DIY ;)

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:07 am

Starspawn wrote:Heh, det naming scheme reminds us norwegians of a pair of scary puppets from the 70s, we can bend words so they end in -ER(E) and half the time those repairmen went around saying lots of such words.

So yeah, I might steal some of those names and use them in Norwegian on my DIY ;)
Nice! I'd love to see this!

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:07 am

I think I got the suggestions I needed over in the 5U forum. I will post some updated images ASAP. :party:

thx2112
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thx2112 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:41 pm

J3RK, that look great!

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:22 am

i'm about to screen print my panels soon and figured i might post the designs here before getting my hands dirty. in case anyone is inclined to take a look, here's a link to a vector version. thanks!

Siri
Common Wiggler

Post by Siri » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:51 pm

@roglok
awesome work.
the font for the russian module is in bold, but maybe it's wanted. Didn't see any typo. I like the differents jacks for the clocks!

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:28 am

Siri wrote:@roglok
awesome work.
the font for the russian module is in bold, but maybe it's wanted. Didn't see any typo. I like the differents jacks for the clocks!
thanks a lot for checking. for the the russian i settled on Neue Helvetica Black Condensed since Interstate doesn't feature any cyrillic glyphs. I might recreate the missing letters from scratch, but then again i'm not sure it makes a huge difference. also: i forgot to convert the text to vector, so depending on your rendering engine, the difference between the two font weights might have appeared more pronounced. i've updated the PDF so it should be closer to the final result now.

the black Kobiconn jacks i'm using are mono without switching function, so i had to choose a different model for switching functions. the benefit is that you can immediately tell which ones are normalled 8-)

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:53 am

roglok: was it intentional to include 1 on the sequence length? not wrong, but i more often see 2 as the minimum number of steps. very nice (and ambitious) project, post pics as you go!

Siri
Common Wiggler

Post by Siri » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:02 am

roglok wrote: thanks a lot for checking. for the the russian i settled on Neue Helvetica Black Condensed since Interstate doesn't feature any cyrillic glyphs. I might recreate the missing letters from scratch, but then again i'm not sure it makes a huge difference. also: i forgot to convert the text to vector, so depending on your rendering engine, the difference between the two font weights might have appeared more pronounced. i've updated the PDF so it should be closer to the final result now.

the black Kobiconn jacks i'm using are mono without switching function, so i had to choose a different model for switching functions. the benefit is that you can immediately tell which ones are normalled 8-)
Yes the russian panel looks better. On the L-1 VC strereo mixer the text appears like that on my screen:

And there is an exclamation mark on the sem vcf, left of the freq knob.
Last edited by Siri on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:02 am

fluxmonkey wrote:roglok: was it intentional to include 1 on the sequence length?
yep. that's intentional. i like varying the sequence length while the sequence is playing and by going down to 1 step you can create the impression of a "hanging" note to build up tension. i'm into acid music if that makes any sense :hihi:
very nice (and ambitious) project, post pics as you go!
thank you. the modules are 90% done and i've posted quite a few of them over the course of the last 3 years but i plan on doing some documentation and beauty shots of each module before final assembly.

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:08 am

Siri wrote: On the L-1 VC strereo mixer the text appears like that on my screen:

And there is an exclamation mark on the sem vcf, left of the freq knob.
thanks a lot for catching these. the question mark i found myself but the glitch on the L-1 i missed. not sure what went wrong there, but both should be fixed now...

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:57 pm

thanks again for the help, guys. film has been produced, so there's no way back now - documentation here

Barcode
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Barcode » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:28 pm

Here's my first draft of the Elby ASM-2. My version is based on the thebadproducer 4U layout. This guy will be semi-modular and use 3.5mm jack. Please look over my panel and find my errors and give suggestions. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:27 am

Barcode wrote:Here's my first draft of the Elby ASM-2. My version is based on the thebadproducer 4U layout. This guy will be semi-modular and use 3.5mm jack. Please look over my panel and find my errors and give suggestions. Thanks!
I don't see any real typos but I noticed a few little things:

- sometimes you add a space between function and number and sometimes not (e.g. 'VCO 1' vs. 'VCO1' or 'RINGMOD' vs. 'RING MOD')

- the normal dash sign ('CV-') looks a bit crippled in Futura - it sits too low and runs too short. you should use a minus sign (yes, it's a different character) or alternatively - but not correctly - en dash.

- the 'FREQUENCY' labels on the LFO module run very close to the LEDs

- the lines are much thicker than the stroke of the typeface. to balance it i'd either reduce the weight of the strokes, or pick a heavier style of Futura

Return to “Music Tech DIY”