Front Panel Proof Reading Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

okelk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by okelk » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:52 pm

nice work roglok! :hail:

May I ask what program to design your panels?
I use Illustrator because I'm used to it from other work...but working with exact measurements is a pain...

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:12 pm

okelk wrote:nice work roglok! :hail:

May I ask what program to design your panels?
I use Illustrator because I'm used to it from other work...but working with exact measurements is a pain...
thanks. i use Illustrator as well. i agree that Illustrator is not a tool for precise CAD work, but it works well enough for design sketches. i usually enter coordinates manually using the Transform panel (which also supports mathematical operations, big time saver). once all designs were ready i redrew the panels in Rhino so i could export STP files for waterjet cutting. however, the graphic for screenprinting were rendered to PDF straight from Illustrator.

PWM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by PWM » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:56 am

hank wrote:Image

Excuse me for digging up this old post, but how, in Bob's name, did you get those red squares in your panel.
This is a Schaeffer .fpd design, is it?

I've been trying this for a while now, but I never got it..

das_Produkt
Common Wiggler

Post by das_Produkt » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:44 pm

This is my take on the SDIY Experimenter Board from MFOS.

My board is pretty dense, so i tried to seperate the knobs from the patch cables.

The square-wave-looking things are just fillers for gaps in my design.
The kerning looks better in print.

It would be nice if somebody would look for errors, but I'm also open for other criticism.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:10 am

Looks good but do you really wanna call the CV inputs of the VCAs "AM"? That looks inconsistent especially as the other CV ins are simply called "CV in" and not numbered.
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

das_Produkt
Common Wiggler

Post by das_Produkt » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:18 pm

Yeah, you are right about the AM thing. I just copied this from Ray Wilson's panel and didn't think about it really.
I will change it to CV In.

And about the numbers: The two inputs do different things and i can't figure out the difference, so I just used numbers to differentiate between them.

Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jarno » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:17 pm

I think having gates left and outputs right on the LFO patch panels would make more sense to me, but that's a really minor remark. I do like VCO VCA VCF better than partly abbreviated as they are now, but ymmv.

oblis
...sigh...

Post by oblis » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:29 pm

Well, here's my first real attempt at panels. Plan to repanel the e340 and e350 in Modcan A format (hopefully locate some kits to avoid too much desoldering).

Open to any suggestions/critiques/etc...maybe the numbers are a little crowded against the tic marks :hmm:

fragletrollet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fragletrollet » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:01 pm

Can anybody help me make a HPGL file out of this PDF? I`m having a hard time figuring out how to make them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jarno » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:27 pm

LOL, those were the days, haven't needed hpgl in a long time.
Apperently you can just install a printerdriver of a driver which supports hpgl ( hp designjet), and then print to a file.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Oblis: looks fine, I guess, don't really know the conventions in modcan A. One thing that I've found to be really useful with these is attenuators for the cv ins, at leas the morph ones on the 350, and the chaos, chaos bw and spread ones on the 340. I don't know where you would put them though. Are concentric pots a thing in modcan A?
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

oblis
...sigh...

Post by oblis » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:33 pm

sduck wrote:Oblis: looks fine, I guess, don't really know the conventions in modcan A. One thing that I've found to be really useful with these is attenuators for the cv ins, at leas the morph ones on the 350, and the chaos, chaos bw and spread ones on the 340. I don't know where you would put them though. Are concentric pots a thing in modcan A?
Thanks sduck, I'm finishing up an attenuator module now, so hopefully will be good in that department.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:53 pm

fragletrollet wrote:Can anybody help me make a HPGL file out of this PDF? I`m having a hard time figuring out how to make them.
Jarno wrote:LOL, those were the days, haven't needed hpgl in a long time.
Apperently you can just install a printerdriver of a driver which supports hpgl ( hp designjet), and then print to a file.
There is also a free tool called Inkscape which can export .hpgl & .plt filetypes.
Here are the files I exported for you. You can check if you can need them (I choosed standard values without changing any parameters).
You can if you want download the app and try.

I had to zip the files to attach them here.

fragletrollet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fragletrollet » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:28 pm

Thanks a bunch batchas! :cloud:

Here`s the panel.

All jacks (1/4", measured 9mm) and potmeter (Bourns 24 mm pots, shaft with bushing measured to 9mm) drill holes are 10mm. Leds 3mm and switches 7mm (measured switch "shaft" with bushing 6mm).

Attached is .fpd

http://www.filedropper.com/biphaseucmotmwextralfoouts

Somehow the print-screen does something to the image. The text looks quite a bit thinner when viewing in FPD.

Edit: uploaded new version of fpd doubling the LFO outputs.

fragletrollet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fragletrollet » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:09 pm

Changed the design to use 9mm concentric pots, and made modifications to the design. I think it looks much better now 8-)

All pot and jack holes are 9.5mm. I`ve measure the mounting holes in the corners according to some MOTM panel I have.

Would be nice if anyone coursed in MOTM format could verify my design before I send it off, first time i`ll actually order something through fpd :banana:

fragletrollet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fragletrollet » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:56 am

Oh well, ordered...

...crossed fingers...

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:50 am

fragletrollet wrote:Would be nice if anyone coursed in MOTM format could verify my design before I send it off, first time i`ll actually order something through fpd
I wish I had the expertise to help you.
Months are passing by and I never ordered from fpd, though I should!
fragletrollet wrote:Oh well, ordered...
All the best with the panel!!!!

BTW, there's also schaeffer in germany/europe woth fpd tool.

fragletrollet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fragletrollet » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Yeah confused the two, but my order ended up at Schaeffer. Had to cancel my order and re-order, as I ofcourse found some errors and small things I needed to change. So hopefully the panel will turn up and actually fit my rack/components :roll:

komyta
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by komyta » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:19 am

das_Produkt wrote:This is my take on the SDIY Experimenter Board from MFOS.

My board is pretty dense, so i tried to seperate the knobs from the patch cables.

The square-wave-looking things are just fillers for gaps in my design.
The kerning looks better in print.

It would be nice if somebody would look for errors, but I'm also open for other criticism.

Hi das_Produkt,

There seems to be something weird happening with the typeface : the spaces between letters are not consistent. For example, the last "a" and "t" in "attenuator 1" are spaced differently for the jacks and the pots in both .png you posted.

:hmm:

ove
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ove » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:48 am

Hi, I'm working on a MIDI controller for my Roland MKS-50, powered by a Teensy 3.2. I've started working on a panel design. I would like some feedback on the layout of the different sections. The controller includes most of the controls available in this Ctrlr panel:
http://ctrlr.org/forums/topic/roland-mks-50-advanced/
I've also added two buttons, one for assigning the keyboard mod wheel to any control on the panel and one for dumping all controls' states to the MKS-50.

I've never used Front Panel Express before, so I would gladly receive any feedback regarding line thickness etc. For example, will the lines forming the "env mode" icons and the related "DYN" font be large/thick enough to be sharp and clear on the completed panel?

Theres no scales/icons for most knobs yet because I would like to know if the thickness is ok before starting.

Thanks!

Rob_C
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Rob_C » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:17 pm

Minor point: "Key Follow" in the ENV section is on two lines, but in the VCF section it is on one line. All other labels are on one line, with the exception of "Dump Control State" You might be able to put the ENV "Key Follow" on one line, without it coming too close to the section dividing line. I'm guessing you've already tried this?

das_Produkt
Common Wiggler

Post by das_Produkt » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:48 am

komyta wrote:
[...]
Hi das_Produkt,

There seems to be something weird happening with the typeface : the spaces between letters are not consistent. For example, the last "a" and "t" in "attenuator 1" are spaced differently for the jacks and the pots in both .png you posted.

:hmm:
Yeah, like i wrote, the kerning is really bad. But only if i export the file as a .png, the pdf looks great. Inkscape is strange.

But after i had my synth fully assembled I noticed that i printed the old version of the frontpanel. Without the changes from this thread. :bang:

Well, better proof read twice, the next time.

komyta
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by komyta » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:11 am

das_Produkt wrote:Well, better proof read twice, the next time.
I know the feeling !

:bang:

And I agree, Inkscape has got a few (bad) surprises to impress you with... But sometimes it can do things that Illustrator cannot.

Bartimaeus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bartimaeus » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:32 pm

@ove the labels seem a little close to the pot holes. Depending on the knobs that you use, they may be covered up.

BlackCrowSounds
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlackCrowSounds » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:46 am

I'm working on a filter for a customer and as this is my first computer aided front panel design i'd like to run it by you guys first. The black dots are placeholders for holes, and the grey and black circles are placeholders for knobs and jacks in actual size.

It will be made using the same technique as Serge Paperface modules and is 5U by 2U. I may consider a negative version and also a colour version.

All feedback is welcome, bonus points if you can guess the module. Also as this is my first post, hello fellow wigglers!

Edit:oops accidentally almost matched the background colour of the forum!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”