Front Panel Proof Reading Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Veryfungi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Veryfungi » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:32 pm

I'm new here. I want to display an image on here, but it's not showing me an option to upload. :help:

duff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by duff » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:11 pm

Veryfungi wrote:I'm new here. I want to display an image on here, but it's not showing me an option to upload. :help:
You have to have a minimum number of posts, possibly just the 1.

Veryfungi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Veryfungi » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:14 pm

ah, now I see it take two posts. I should be good after this one. :banana:

Veryfungi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Veryfungi » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:41 pm

I'm new to the hobby. I'm building a diy rig, doing most pc boards myself. I purchased a Rando Chordo and am making my own face plate for it. I use my laser and a special acrylic that is made for engraving. I also use a polycarbonate layer inside for added strength. I'm building DIY using banana jacks. Because I haven't used the module, I'm unsure of the graphics. I.e. is there an association with the fifths switch and channel 3 output. I've made the face plate in the style of the other modules I've made so far. :D

duff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by duff » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:36 pm

I can’t help with your question regarding the Rando Chordo, there may he thread elsewhere that gives insight, but I like your style. What banana jacks are they?

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:40 pm

Veryfungi wrote:I'm new to the hobby. I'm building a diy rig, doing most pc boards myself. I purchased a Rando Chordo and am making my own face plate for it. I use my laser and a special acrylic that is made for engraving. I also use a polycarbonate layer inside for added strength. I'm building DIY using banana jacks. Because I haven't used the module, I'm unsure of the graphics. I.e. is there an association with the fifths switch and channel 3 output. I've made the face plate in the style of the other modules I've made so far. :D

You could look at the numbering for the scales. The switch goes 0-7. The list of them goes 1-7

Veryfungi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Veryfungi » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi Duff, Thanks I am having a great time building this thing. I got the banana jacks on amazon, 100 for $12. I use locktite on them because there is no mechanical restraint to prevent turning. 8-)

Veryfungi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Veryfungi » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi Ashlym, Yes I knew about it, but forgot to fix it. lol It's fixed now. :)

Default Loser
Learning to Wiggle

Yusynth VCO for eurorack

Post by Default Loser » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi guys, here is my take on a eurorack version of the yusynth VCO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Yusynth VCO for eurorack

Post by ashleym » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Default Loser wrote:Hi guys, here is my take on a eurorack version of the yusynth VCO.
Nice. My mind says move the PWM socket down to line up with the pulse width controls. I then move up the sync socket as it’s frequency related-ish. Then you don’t have another (3rd) grid for the controls/sockets. Please take these as suggestions only!!

Default Loser
Learning to Wiggle

Mmmm

Post by Default Loser » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:47 am

I actually like the sound of that, I think I’ll give this a try. Thanks

floris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by floris » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:57 pm

Here's a new live performance panel in Serge format, fits in one BUD enclosure. Using Alpha pots, Johnson banana Jacks and 5mm LED's with Tayda bezels.
Using typical Davies knobs and 3 larger ones.

I tried to have a Serge font. Is the spacing okay?
This will be printed and laminated with very thin clear adhesive plastic.
I tried this before and looks very good, even after years.
The lines need to be rounded better.

top row:
cgs serge dusg (1)
mfos vclfo
cgs serge dusg (2)
cgs serge SSG
buchlidian voltage processor
cgs serge dusg (1)
cgs serge dusg (2) and extra sample & hold

bottom row:
cgs filter internally wired to optical sound of film projector
cgs mixer
cgs mixer
cgs rené s VCA
cgs serge VCF '73
ring mod and attenuator
cgs serge wave multipliers (called even, odd and vca)
blacet time machine
cgs serge dual channel stereo mixer
cgs filter internally wired to optical sound of film projector

let me know what you think about it.

bathmutz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bathmutz » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:14 am

Wow, that black one with the black knobs looks really nice!

I have a stupid question: The lines around a pot, how do you know where to draw them? Or is it just like a clock in 12 parts?

PWM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by PWM » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:41 am

bathmutz wrote:Wow, that black one with the black knobs looks really nice!

I have a stupid question: The lines around a pot, how do you know where to draw them? Or is it just like a clock in 12 parts?
Well, a clock goes 360 degrees. Most pots go 300 degrees.

quid246
1-Post Wiggler

Post by quid246 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:51 pm

bathmutz wrote:Wow, that black one with the black knobs looks really nice!

Unless you are trying to mark off certain levels of whatever with a pot, then just do like a clock... 8 marks, 16 marks, depending how detailed you want to go.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:08 am

floris wrote:let me know what you think about it
What I pers. like on the 4U layout is the space. Here you decided to split it vertically into up to 3 parts, which makes it IMHO very dense. I know its a choice not to go on the same width vertically between top module and bottom, but to me it does not make it very intuitive, readable, nor Serge alike. Though it's a question of getting used to it I guess. And also does it need to be like Serge? I'm sure if you did like this it's because you wanted it like this :tu:

I'd suggest anyway before you decide to go for it, to print it on paper and check that the distance between banana and the mark under the banana is large enough. Looks quite tight. By putting a banana on the paper I mean and see how it looks. Even by putting all bananas (even upside-down <<< or I found the term I was missing last week in the bugbrand part of the forum!) so you get a feeling, knowing that cables will be plugged there.

You might also want to check the distances / alignments of marks with holes or lines because they differe here and there (ODD for instance, compared to others). What I mean is the alignment of text like if you take the bottom line. marks are not aligned together.
Or the outlines of the last 2 modules on top is an example.
So you know what I mean. If you take the ECHO module the distances between banana and marks are not the same, this is what I mean. This is what jumps to my eyes. But I was working with grafix many years earlier so I'm aware I might too much into details. But it's about proof reading, so I hope it helps, even if too much.

Powerfull panel you have in perspective, and a LOT of wiring in perspective :sb:

jersupereq
Common Wiggler

Post by jersupereq » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:34 pm

Here is my attempt at an Animoo clone panel using all CGS boards. A lot of inspiration came from old Serge paperface and LW obviously. Let me know if you spot any issues. I'm planning on removing the second saw output to add the Sub osc input on the extended VCO. Also need to add some unicorns!

rctr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rctr » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm

You are using "Lo", "Low", "Hi" and "High". My OBD calls for consistency :mrgreen:

In the Pan section yoh have "R" left and "L" right.

Other than that it looks good. I guess the Space in "VC F" and "VC Q" is personal preference.
jersupereq wrote:Here is my attempt at an Animoo clone panel using all CGS boards. A lot of inspiration came from old Serge paperface and LW obviously. Let me know if you spot any issues. I'm planning on removing the second saw output to add the Sub osc input on the extended VCO. Also need to add some unicorns!

jersupereq
Common Wiggler

Post by jersupereq » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:26 pm

[quote="rctr"]You are using "Lo", "Low", "Hi" and "High". My OBD calls for consistency :mrgreen:

In the Pan section yoh have "R" left and "L" right.

Other than that it looks good. I guess the Space in "VC F" and "VC Q" is personal preference.

Thanks for the advice, fixed the pan and the lo/hi issue. Sticking with the VC F and VC Q to follow classic serge. Also using a more serge font plus a serge and cgs logo. Not sure about the placement though

vongon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vongon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:43 pm

Some of you may already know this, but just wanted to say I found a really cost efficient way to make front panels with pcbway.com

The black front panel of this device is an 2.0mm thick aluminum pcb with matte black solder mask and white silk screen. I can order 10 for about $100. Hope this helps someone!

more photos at www.vongon.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:56 pm

That's pretty sweet Vongon. What are you using to generate the gerbers(?). I know I'd like to play with sending proto panels out as PCBs but I use KiCAD and you can't even change the silkscreen font in there so it's a non starter for me.

MalphasWats
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MalphasWats » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:32 pm

devinw1 wrote:That's pretty sweet Vongon. What are you using to generate the gerbers(?). I know I'd like to play with sending proto panels out as PCBs but I use KiCAD and you can't even change the silkscreen font in there so it's a non starter for me.
It's a bit of effort, but you can convert images into footprints for silkscreen:

http://img2mod.wayneandlayne.com/

Doing it 1 label at a time could be a real pain, but you could probably design the silkscreen design as 1 single image in some other application, and then import it as one big overlay into kicad.

welhamc
Common Wiggler

Re: Front Panel Proof Reading Thread

Post by welhamc » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:13 am

I've attached a screenshot of my design of the MFOS rotary sequencer, with the addition of the vari-step board in 5u

I have made overlays for each of the components, so just posting to see if theres anything blaringly obvious/stupid that I'm missing. The panel is going to cost around £120 from FPD so would rather not make any mistakes!

Chris

welhamc
Common Wiggler

Post by welhamc » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:18 am

This is without component overlays

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:07 am

welhamc wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:18 am
This is without component overlays
I didn't see your post earlier.
Is it not "Analog sequencer" instead of "Analogue"? I'm french, so it's really a question, not an affirmation!

Oh and on this last layout without components you have the sequence top left 16, 15, 14... etc.
On the other previous one (which I prefer) you have 1, 2, 3...

I see now. You put 1, 2, 3 etc on the right side because on the rotary switch they are on the right side...

INT is a bit further left than EXT, but it's a detail.

I don't know the module, so what is the rotary switch starting wiht 5?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”