Front Panel Proof Reading Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

johnchantler
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Front Panel Proof Reading Thread

Post by johnchantler » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:43 am

ashleym wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:28 pm
johnchantler wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:37 am

mixer/filter panel for full 4U panel (7x17"). stereo mixer will have 1/4" jacks on the back of the boat for connection to patchbay/interface, etc.
.....err.......not much. Nudge the quad mixer inputs if your bananas allow. You’re already a little off the usual full or half grid spacing. Do your sockets allow “one on grid, next 1/2 step along and/or 1/2 step down “ for each column? Without interfering with the mixer knobs.

I’m sure you’ve already agonised over this.
yeah, much agonising already... but always good to reconsider what and why. at the moment that row is centered at 1" vertically with each jack 0,125" above and below. they are spaced equidistantly between the far left and right jacks which are 'on grid' horizontally at 1" and 5" respectively...

jersupereq
Common Wiggler

Post by jersupereq » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:53 pm

ashleym wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:06 pm
All great looking.

Constructively looking at the panels most of them have mod depth controls positive depth only. Is that correct?

For the BOCGS style panel the master divider panel doesn’t make sense stylistically or practically. Why LEDs at angles? Why not put them next to the sockets like the other sections? Also, without looking into this, why 4 sockets for each division? You’d save a column if you didn’t. I think the Sub only looks busy because of the writing below the knobs. You you need all of it? Lots of the other controls don’t have all their information below. I’m sure if asked someone here could offer suggestions for simplifying
I need to look into those depth controls and verify it with the Haible boards. :hmm:
Already fabricated the BOCGS panel, FPD really does some good work, but still wanted to comment back. The four outputs on each division of the master divider are 90 degrees out of phase which makes for some very cool uses. Its also really hypnotic :woah: to look at having the leds in a square formation. Ended up going with the busy looking Sub Oscillator, I'm a fan of having all the info on the panel. Don't want to go down the rabbit hole now looking for simpler way since there's no going back.

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:34 pm

jersupereq wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:53 pm
. The four outputs on each division of the master divider are 90 degrees out of phase which makes for some very cool uses. Its also really hypnotic :woah:
:bop: :bop:

That WILL make for some interesting offsets and timings. I must investigate.

jersupereq
Common Wiggler

Post by jersupereq » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:42 pm

So many blinky lights! :deadbanana:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”