Euclidean Polyrhythm generator - code and details

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

unauthorised-service
Learning to Wiggle

Post by unauthorised-service » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Catfish wrote:After playing a lot with this wonderfull device, I noticed that the Tombola/Sneakthief with midi and patch version from CLee, missed a trigger once in while. I couldn't get it to sync straight for more than 1 minute or so. If I give it a reset every 4 bars it is totally do-able and funky to play with.
But after I uploaded Tombola/Sneakthief's 0.7 version again the sequencer synced far better.
I red in the beginning of the thread that Sneakthief had the same missing trigger issues with Tombola's first version and it disappeared after using the encoder library.
For now I use Tombola/sneakthief 0.7, but I really liked the midi options from CLee, does anyone recognise this syncing issue, or maybe have a solution?
Try a resistor 1k ? Or experiment on the input...

MrRoastToast
1-Post Wiggler

Post by MrRoastToast » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:16 am

Hi

So I built this euclidean rhythm following the diagram but it dosen't work. Are the Zener Diodes backwards in the diagram or are they meant to be like that. I done quite a bit of trouble shooting and read over the forum post but still haven't got it going.

Also I wired the encoder to the digital pins as mentioned in the sketch v5.1 is this correct or should I have wired it like the diagram?

Thanks and lookin forward to getting this going.

chrischn2000
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chrischn2000 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:15 pm

just try http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-61011.html - the latest code and schematics there work out of the box. Also check the components (rotarys with or without switch etc.).

Is there anybody who can tell me if it is possible to rotate the LED-Dispay 90°? I have a LED with the MAX chip attached but it takes way too much space when mounted horizontally...

Thanks in advance!

BobHart
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Euclidean Polyrhythm generator - code and details

Post by BobHart » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:49 pm

I've been experimenting with this design for most of the past year, and I think the project is at a point I'm ready to share what I'm doing with it. I was most interested in Clee's design that added the MIDI functionality as well as density and a few other things, and I really liked his input conditioning/protection design, although I realize it adds more parts overall. Of course, the kits available for that version are for the 4U format, and my system, like most here, is eurorack. Plus, there were features I felt the design needed that weren't there in any version.

So, after a great deal of breadboarding, and a (somewhat flawed) board spin later, I have 95% of what I wanted out of this design, and have basically maxed out the Arduino Nano pin-wise. I'm providing a link to a video below that covers the functionality, but basically, in addition to Craig's features, I've added a cable-inserted detection circuit for the clock input that allows the internal clock to resume when the cable is removed, an on-module reset button for added play-ability, and TRS MIDI (due to space limitations, yea, I know many hate TRS MIDI, but it does work). To get around the problem of which type, A or B, I've added a switch that can select either one. And lastly, I've added a button to allow a new mode I call BPM (Beats Per Minute), which allows for changing the internal clock speed.

I have one other feature I want to add that I plan on putting into the final PCB design, and that's a Pause switch. The plan is to use an On-Off-Momentary toggle switch so the pause is latched in one direction, and only as long as it's held down in the other. At this point, I hope to have a final version of the design and code released on GitHub in the next 3-6 months.

Currently, the PCB design is a 2 board through-hole set. I'm planning on it staying that way in the next spin to keep it easy to build. The boards are designed to snap apart and go together with headers/sockets. I may consider trying to do SMT if there's a huge cry for it, let me know.

Here's the video

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CLee » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:57 am

Nice work! I love seeing this design keep growing.

BTW, I just noticed the bug where the GATE mode doesn't output on internal clock. I was scratching my head for a while trying to find out why my sequence wasn't happening...

BobHart
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BobHart » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:31 pm

CLee wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:57 am
BTW, I just noticed the bug where the GATE mode doesn't output on internal clock. I was scratching my head for a while trying to find out why my sequence wasn't happening...
Yea, I want to dig into that, but I figure it's just a coding issue, so I'm going to tackle it last. If you figure it out let me know, and I'll add it. BTW, I really appreciate the work you put into your version, it's what inspired me to add on.

yentzee
Common Wiggler

Post by yentzee » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:28 am

First of all, Thanks everybody for sharing and developing this project.
I built one on stripboard but encounter the problem that the offset parameter sometimes doesn't work on one of the three tracks. So I can happily switch in between track 1 and 2 and set offset whereas it just wont work on track 3 for example. Sometimes it is track2 sometme track 1 and sometimes they all work. Any idea what could have gone wrong?
I am going to to a pcb for kicad to make sure there aren't any bad solder joints and try again.
Apart from this a really nice and extremely easy project.
Oh and could anyone tell me where to get other 8x8 led matrices with other colours?
Cheers,
Jens

Buster44
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Buster44 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:25 am

I wish I had found this thread before I started on the Sneakthief/Tombola build over on electro-music. No big loss really as it only took a couple of hours to build.
Really cool project, I thought I would share my build. I need to replace the headers for the encoders, but now I'm prepared to invest more time in this project having seen it working.

Its have it connected to a BOSS DR55 clone DIY board.

Cheers.

yentzee
Common Wiggler

Post by yentzee » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi,
I built this sucessfully with the parts mentioned.
Does anyone know if all LED Panels work the same and if they get the same voltage?
There are tiny 8x8 panels https://www.makershop.de/module/led/8x8-matrix-led/ that would make it possible to do it on 6 HP instead of 8.
The panels come with a chip TM1640but are also available without the chip.
I was wondering whether it is possible to use the panels with a max 7219 as on the other panels or if it is big work to add the library for the tm1640 but I suppose the commands to drive the chip differ from the max one so the code probably would have to be modified quite a lot.
If anyone knows some details thanks for helping.
Still trying to get a datasheet of the panel and compare to the one recommended in this thread.
Cheers,
Jens

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Post by pjbulls » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:29 pm

These 8x8 matrices all work with the MAX7219 (or MAX7221). Powered with +5V the colour of the LEDs isn't going to matter (need to overcome forward voltage which is ~3.5V at most), and common cathode or common anode is going to dictate how exactly you wire the matrix to the controller and drive the latter, but it can always be made to work. What won't work easily is driving common anode 8-segment displays due to the way these drivers address them, but with a matrix you don't care about any individual segment (you can rotate rows into columns and vice versa and the display will still 'make sense'). All that matters is that you make sure the correct dots get lit up in your firmware.

The TM1640 programming and addressing looks different than that of the MAX drivers, so you'll need a different library (or roll your own - it's not that hard).

Still, neither the original design nor the parts you linked give a lot of detail on how it's all wired up exactly, so there's no telling whether it'll be plug-and-play, but with some modification it can definitely be done.

yentzee
Common Wiggler

Post by yentzee » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:54 pm

I am going to try the mini matrix with max controller. It would be awesome as 6HP would be amazing for such a versatile module.
So far I just tried the "standard 0.7" Version which worked great. I read that there is another version that allows to program sequences rather than having the notes be spread according to euclidean terms. However at that point I am losing track as it comes with more parts to build and a pcb not in eurorack format. I might have messed things up on my hd (having adhd doesn't help organizing stuff either) so is there a version that allows programming sequences instead of euclidean based spreading of trigs that can be executed on the simple setup with an arduino, some resistors and some push encoders?
The reason I am asking is that I found a nearly perfect transportable case with about 40 HP which I want to stock with DIY stuff only and the only thing I am missing is a capable sequencer. So if there was a version that would allow programming events (set length, select step, activate) I would be perfectly covered. Maybe two of those plus a sample and hold for longer notes and with minimum space it would be possible to do some drums plus a bass all in that lovely small box (even has a lid with a handle and is built like a tank). The only alternative would be a micro ornament & crime which seems way more complex, expensive and as far as I know difficult as some parts are not that easy to source.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”