Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
Fernando
Common Wiggler
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:58 am
Location: Barcelona & Emporda, Spain

Post by Fernando » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:43 pm

ok, thank you Bbob
.

Fer

User avatar
fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:05 pm
Contact:

Post by fluxmonkey » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:54 am

Big shoutout to Mike Peake for pointing out an error on my Buchla RingMod boards... one of the resistors marked 10r should in fact be 10k. I and others have successfully built these with the marked values, but trimming will be easier with the correction. I've updated the build page with errata and pics. Thanks, Mike!

This and all my other Buchla clone PCBs (110 Voltage Controlled Gate, 111 Ring Modulator, 160 Noise, 180 Attack Generator, 194 Bandpass Filter, and the Random Voltage Generator from the 208) are still available cheap for true DIY heads.

and I'm always expanding the documentation section of the historic buchla (100/200 series) pages, with more schematics and notes. Please let me know if you have other information to share!

happy wiggling!
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

User avatar
Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla
Posts: 7640
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:00 pm
Location: Loss Angeles

Post by Peake » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:54 pm

You can never tell if the schematics are correct, glad this makes a positive difference! A little bit deeper into the machine...

Fluxmonkey PCBs are awesome for mixing and matching 100 System functions to make use of otherwise mostly blank 1U panels, such as a module mixing a 194 and a dual 110, for example. There's panel art in this forum for Lazertran water slide decals you can mix and match and bake for yourself.

viewtopic.php?p=2671917

Below: Using Fluxmonkey 208 Random and 160 Noise PCBs on a single panel:

Image

Image
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

Delabelle
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:02 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs

Post by Delabelle » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:19 am

From where do you get the -15v that is not available on the Buchla 100 system?

User avatar
fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs

Post by fluxmonkey » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:27 pm

-15 is not used on on this module, so you can leave it unconnected. I only kept the connector for consistency, for folks who have mixed 100/200 series systems.
Delabelle wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:19 am
From where do you get the -15v that is not available on the Buchla 100 system?
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

djs
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1209
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:36 am
Location: South Beloit, IL

Re: Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs

Post by djs » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:54 pm

Speaking of mix and match- this one has a 208 random voltages and noise from fluxmonkey. Plus half of a 156 that I made myself (untested yet)
Attachments
54E99923-EC49-42FD-9468-5D75CC428697.jpeg
F693BF17-067B-4345-860D-B1F4A07A35B4.jpeg
"Noise is what the Earth is made of" - David Bowie

Delabelle
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:02 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs

Post by Delabelle » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:05 am

Fab and nice panel btw

I ll test with a transfo that delivers +-15v derived from the available 15v plus share ground

Delabelle
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:02 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs

Post by Delabelle » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:08 pm

I'll drop this idea and go for a fluxmonkey pcb if no -15V is needed.

Delabelle
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:02 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs

Post by Delabelle » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:21 am

fluxmonkey wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:27 pm
-15 is not used on on this module, so you can leave it unconnected. I only kept the connector for consistency, for folks who have mixed 100/200 series systems.
But when I see the blurry pcb example on the fluxmonkey shop there is that 68k connection to -15v. Or am I wrong?

djs
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1209
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:36 am
Location: South Beloit, IL

Re: Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs

Post by djs » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:58 pm

Zooming in on the pcb, the header for -v is there, but not connected to anything. Which would match the schematic for no -V needed:
Attachments
111.png
111.png (86.82 KiB) Viewed 102 times
"Noise is what the Earth is made of" - David Bowie

Delabelle
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:02 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs

Post by Delabelle » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:54 pm

djs wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:58 pm
Zooming in on the pcb, the header for -v is there, but not connected to anything. Which would match the schematic for no -V needed:
Ok thx, I ll order a pcb at Fluxmonkey

It is weird because I have another version from electro-music forum where the -15v is needed.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

User avatar
Moos Gummi
Common Wiggler
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:02 am
Location: Germany

Re: Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs

Post by Moos Gummi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:43 am

This thread is about the ring modulator, which doesn´t need -15V. The random source needs a negative supply.

Delabelle
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:02 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs

Post by Delabelle » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:48 am

Moos Gummi wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:43 am
This thread is about the ring modulator, which doesn´t need -15V. The random source needs a negative supply.
Correct, my bad and now I know ;)

Delabelle
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:02 pm
Location: Belgium

Re:

Post by Delabelle » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:52 am

fluxmonkey wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:54 am

and I'm always expanding the documentation section of the historic buchla (100/200 series) pages, with more schematics and notes. Please let me know if you have other information to share!

happy wiggling!
Grant Richter has uploaded loads of schematics in the Buchla FB group

User avatar
Moos Gummi
Common Wiggler
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:02 am
Location: Germany

Re: Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs

Post by Moos Gummi » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:07 pm

I think the random source should work on a single supply as well if you replace the weird LM3900 XOR with a CD4030 or 70. Maybe replace the outputs with LM324. But I absolutely don´t get the point of the 4016 at the gate input. Were they really expansive back then and Buchla couldn´t stand the thought of letting one of the swtches go unused?

User avatar
fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Re:

Post by fluxmonkey » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:52 pm

Delabelle wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:52 am
fluxmonkey wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:54 am

and I'm always expanding the documentation section of the historic buchla (100/200 series) pages, with more schematics and notes. Please let me know if you have other information to share!

happy wiggling!
Grant Richter has uploaded loads of schematics in the Buchla FB group
With Grant's permission, I cleaned up his scans and they are now indexed & included on the fluxmonkey pages. THANKS GRANT!
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

Don T
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:11 pm

Re: Re:

Post by Don T » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:25 pm

fluxmonkey wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:52 pm
Delabelle wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:52 am
fluxmonkey wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:54 am

and I'm always expanding the documentation section of the historic buchla (100/200 series) pages, with more schematics and notes. Please let me know if you have other information to share!

happy wiggling!
Grant Richter has uploaded loads of schematics in the Buchla FB group
With Grant's permission, I cleaned up his scans and they are now indexed & included on the fluxmonkey pages. THANKS GRANT!
Hold on, a Buchla FB group? There seem to be a few, which one is referred to above?

Delabelle
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:02 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Re:

Post by Delabelle » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:04 am

Hold on, a Buchla FB group? There seem to be a few, which one is referred to above?
There are only 2 it’s the normal not the official one.
Tap Grant and you’ll see the pictures ;)

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”