DIY Graphic Depot

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:19 am

cbm wrote:
zthee wrote:I imagine he did the layouts by hand in that time. Which mean he probably sat with a ruler and rub-on letters (I don't know what you call it in english, where you have a translucent paper with letters on, and if you rub the backside, the letters come of).
I've always used one manufacturer as the generic name for this sort of thing: Letraset
Do you use Letraset on your Eardrill modules Chris?

is banned
is banned

Post by 2012 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:38 am

Brands,Horse and bird

enjoy..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:05 pm

Roycie Roller wrote:Do you use Letraset on your Eardrill modules Chris?
No. I imagine that the Leteraset market has really dried up since the advent of desktop publishing in the 1990s.
Chris Muir
Personal -http://www.xfade.com
My Jobby -http://www.eardrill.com (Jobby = less than a job, more than a hobby)

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:15 pm

As I mentioned in the other Illustrator thread - I'm creating fairly detailed mechanicals for the custom blind panel site (name yet to be determined). Example below...

FRAC/BLACET - two sizes. One is 3" w the other is 1.5".

I also attached the vector EPS file (didn't want to do .ai since I don't know everyone's Illustrator version) since EPS is very cross platform and cross application.

More like these will be possibly downloadable via the blind panel site once it's launched to assist in custom designs. I'm also thinking of having an online designer application to submit and review artwork.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1994658/Frac ... 5.25x3.eps
--------------------------------------------
Qu.One Instagram
Qu.One Bandcamp
Qu.One on YouTube Music

haricots
Droppin' Loads

Post by haricots » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:55 am

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have an Illustrator file for 5U (MOTM) single and double panels handy?

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:39 pm

haricots wrote:Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have an Illustrator file for 5U (MOTM) single and double panels handy?
I do - if you can wait until Monday...
--------------------------------------------
Qu.One Instagram
Qu.One Bandcamp
Qu.One on YouTube Music

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:16 pm

zthee wrote:The Serge font is called ITC Eras, and they use a demi bold (IIRC) for letters written in the knob/jack area, and bold for the module description text.
any opinions on which font in Front Panel Designer might be closest to Eras, or more generally the best choice for making Serge-ish panels?

b
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

zthee
Panelhöna

Post by zthee » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:27 pm

I'd say just use anything that's slanted. You'll probably gain readability when using one of the classic san-serifs. But don't use Myriad! I go mad when I see face place with Myriad.

The ITC Eras is kind of a strange font - very hippie if you ask me. But I'm learning to like it.
No PM's please! Send an e-mail - ttsh(a)thehumancomparator.net

Information regarding the Two Thousand Six Hundred DIY project - > http://www.thehumancomparator.net

_

"Oh Batman, why you got to be so heteronormative?".

bananeurysm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bananeurysm » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:23 am

does anyone have any 5u designs to share? (any module really!) i'm really just looking for a good way to get started on panel design.. it's not my forte at ALL.

inkscape would be ideal - but I can deal with illustrator files as well!

thanks!

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:44 am

bananeurysm wrote:does anyone have any 5u designs to share? (any module really!) i'm really just looking for a good way to get started on panel design.. it's not my forte at ALL.

inkscape would be ideal - but I can deal with illustrator files as well!

thanks!
I've got shitloads of 5U designs in illustrator that start with standard MOTM format and get more cramped and bastardized as time goes on.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Blacet's web site has documentation at http://blacet.com/tech.html.

Dimensioned drawing:
http://blacet.com/FPtyp.jpg
Paia invented the "Rack". We engineered a slightly different version to meet our quality and delivery needs. Modules from Paia, Blacet and some of Wiard's will fit in either rack. A typical front panel drawing is shown below for making compatible DIY modules. Note that the maximum PCB height is 4.22" to allow clearing the Blacet Rack mounting rails. Click on the drawing for a much larger version.
To achieve the same "feel" as Blacet units, use Panasonic Pots (Digi-Key P3T9503-ND), Rean knobs (Mouser 550-67002) and jacks (Mouser 16PJ012).
(Sounds)--> :eek:

Pfurmel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pfurmel » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:59 am

EDIT:

Found this handy site on the e-m forum:

Scale-o-Matic

themanthatwasused
I don't speak that language anyway

Post by themanthatwasused » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm starting to design my own serge-like panel.
I have a few AI files to begin with, but I was wondering if anyone can share a few more files in AI format or EP.
Cheers,
Harvey

aladan
Desperately Seeking Sondra

Post by aladan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:10 am

bananeurysm wrote:does anyone care to share a full module or panel of serge-ish gfx in SVG or similar format to help kickstart my design process? so far i'm creating some pretty ugly panels! (haven't figured out how to make nice curved lines, or knob/jack gfx yet in inkscape)
To draw unattached curves, use the Bezier tool (looks like a felt-tipped pen with some little boxes and lines next to it.) Use the boxes to resize the lines and change the shape around. It takes a bit of getting used to.

To curve the edges of a rectangle, create the rectangle then grab one of those two circles on the edge of the rectangle which defines the shape and move it around. The further from the corner it is, the larger the roundness.

I think there are some good tutorials for Inkscape on youtube that I watched to learn more. And google has answers to almost every question, you just have to work out how to ask the question correctly :lol:

It's been ages since I played with Inkscape but I hope this helps! I have moved on to ArtCam since it came with my CNC machine.

(oops, just realised I replied to a 3 year old post... sorry about that :oops:)

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:31 am

Would be nice to have this thread marked sticky.

There is also some HPGL here:
viewtopic.php?p=926049#926049
viewtopic.php?t=37486
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

baloo
Common Wiggler

Post by baloo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:52 pm

any hex nut minijack and switch layout for inkscape?

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:29 pm

Figured it was a good time to resurrect this thread to ask for some help from the DIY community. A few weeks ago my house was robbed and one of the many things they took was my badass i7 27" imac... along with my symbols that i used in illustrator for laying out panels. Can anyone share their symbol set with me for banana jacks, pots, switches, other jacks... etc? Thanks so much in advance guys!
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:46 pm

I haven't figured out illustrator well enough to create symbol sets, but if you pm me I can send you a file that has some of those in it.

CJ Miller
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CJ Miller » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:52 pm

Here's a file which contains various bits of hardware. They're not all pretty, as my Illustrator skills are a bit limited. They are more a tool I use to make sure that my hardware will actually fit my panel layouts. Looking at it now, I should update a few things, but here it is if anybody finds it useful.

Like most of my stuff, it is Creative Commons copyrighted for non-commercial use.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:49 am

cj, thanks a ton bro! I"ll have to make custom symbols out of that file when i get home... that really helps. And i assume everything is pretty damn near actual size right? i'm using it for the same purpose... to make sure things fit behind panel.

Anyone have a symbol / drawing / .eps of alpha pots? thanks guys!
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:30 am

tragedybysyntax wrote:A few weeks ago my house was robbed and one of the many things they took was my badass i7 27" imac...
sorry to hear that :ripbanana:

maybe this cheers you up a little:

vector files here

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:56 am

Superb!

CJ Miller
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CJ Miller » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:49 am

tragedybysyntax wrote:cj, thanks a ton bro!
You are most welcome to them! Sorry to hear about the loss of your computer and data. Reminds me that I should back up my work more often just in case.
tragedybysyntax wrote:And i assume everything is pretty damn near actual size right?
Yes, they are quite close. I used a mix of datasheet info and actual caliper measurements. Some of the parts were slightly larger than the specs indicated. The knobs were tricky because I didn't know how to do cutout shapes then, so I layered lots of shapes which make the total size and position a bit off. That's why I collapsed those to raster versions.

Castle Rocktronics
Common Wiggler

Post by Castle Rocktronics » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:37 pm

Here are some banana jack graphics I created. 1:1 scale. 11mm diameter, 4mm hole. They look a bit fugly blown up, but I added a little bit of lighting effects which makes them look pretty good at the proper size.

.ai and .png (300dpi) formats. If anyone wants them in another format or another color, just let me know!

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:32 pm

CJ Miller wrote:Here's a file which contains various bits of hardware. They're not all pretty, as my Illustrator skills are a bit limited. They are more a tool I use to make sure that my hardware will actually fit my panel layouts. Looking at it now, I should update a few things, but here it is if anybody finds it useful.

Like most of my stuff, it is Creative Commons copyrighted for non-commercial use.

Thanks for this, very useful.

Is anyone else having problems with the Fresnel lenses and Davies knobs when you open this in Inkscape?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

Return to “Music Tech DIY”