[PCBs] NeinOhNein CLAP -- a DIY TR-909 hand clap

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:40 am

Is the BOM for 12V or 15V operation? :)

stevesavage
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stevesavage » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:29 am

Where can I find info on adding pitch control to this module?

Thanks

Steve

hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times

Post by hexinverter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:45 am

NS4W wrote:Is the BOM for 12V or 15V operation? :)
It works perfectly fine at either voltage!
Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

mDang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mDang » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:08 am

hello stacy,

some trouble here (i'm newbee diyer), maybe you'll can help me to fix that ?
there's no action when i send a trig in trig/gate input. but :

it's seem the noise work good, but it's endless when i up the intens. (and level) knob. the noise a and noise b affect this noise. and the volume up correctly when i send a trig in the accent input.

like if an adsr doesn't work.
any idee, please ?

thanks

maxime
Analogeeks

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:27 pm

mDang wrote:hello stacy,

some trouble here (i'm newbee diyer), maybe you'll can help me to fix that ?
there's no action when i send a trig in trig/gate input. but :

it's seem the noise work good, but it's endless when i up the intens. (and level) knob. the noise a and noise b affect this noise. and the volume up correctly when i send a trig in the accent input.

like if an adsr doesn't work.
any idee, please ?

thanks

maxime
Hiya Maxime.

Sure, I can try and help but I have to admit it is quite difficult to solve any problems without seeing the boards in person!

Can you please check and double check for shorts on the back of the PCB? Sometimes even just a hair of a wire can short out stuff and make it not work. This happens to the best of us and is usually the cause of 90% of problems!

Also, please take a photograph of the front and back of the PCB for me (high resolution in sunlight so I can see properly), making sure I can see the part numbers on the components you used. If they are not legible, please tell me the exact part numbers you used for the ICs instead!

It is important that the CD4069 is "UB" suffix, NOT "B" suffix.
Hexinverter Électronique

mDang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mDang » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:07 am

thanks stacy, all seem to work finally.
i just don't understand the clap have to receved trig + accent. i just send a trig on it.
is it right ? is it the same snare, kick, and rimshot ?

thanks
Analogeeks

dkMode
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dkMode » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:43 am

Hello Hex. Sorry if this has been asked but when will you be restocked?

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:48 pm

mDang wrote:thanks stacy, all seem to work finally.
i just don't understand the clap have to receved trig + accent. i just send a trig on it.

thanks
Hey Maxime,

Hmm, no, you should be able to trigger the drum with just a trigger signal! They all work like that :) The accent is tied up so that by default it is as loud as possible, but if you plug in an accent signal, you can vary it yourself.
Hexinverter Électronique

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:54 pm

dkMode wrote:Hello Hex. Sorry if this has been asked but when will you be restocked?
As a matter of fact, PCBs just arrived today! :) Go ahead and order!

I will have Jupiter Storm PCBs likely on Monday or Tuesday of next week if you want to wait -- there will be plenty of clap/snare PCBs in stock until then so there's no risk of them going out of stock if you choose to wait to bundle up and save on shipping.

Jupiter Storm info thread: viewtopic.php?t=82966&highlight=

NeinOhNein order page: http://shop.hexinverter.net/category.php?id_category=8
Hexinverter Électronique

emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by emdot_ambient » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Hmm...tried ordering but looks like the site's down. :confused:

mDang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mDang » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:23 pm

Oh. Strange.
When i plug a jack into the acc (without any signal) everything work.
But if nothing is connected to the acc nothing work :(
I'll check and sent you a photograph tomorow.
Thanks for the infos ;)

hexinverter wrote:
mDang wrote:thanks stacy, all seem to work finally.

thanks
Hey Maxime,

Hmm, no, you should be able to trigger the drum with just a trigger signal! They all work like that :) The accent is tied up so that by default it is as loud as possible, but if you plug in an accent signal, you can vary it yourself.
Analogeeks

dkMode
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dkMode » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:43 pm

hexinverter wrote:
dkMode wrote:Hello Hex. Sorry if this has been asked but when will you be restocked?
As a matter of fact, PCBs just arrived today! :) Go ahead and order!

I will have Jupiter Storm PCBs likely on Monday or Tuesday of next week if you want to wait -- there will be plenty of clap/snare PCBs in stock until then so there's no risk of them going out of stock if you choose to wait to bundle up and save on shipping.

Jupiter Storm info thread: viewtopic.php?t=82966&highlight=

NeinOhNein order page: http://shop.hexinverter.net/category.php?id_category=8
:-) I didn't mention snares...you are a mind reader? I may just order today as my residence is changing. :-D what a great week of SDIY!

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:19 pm

emdot_ambient wrote:Hmm...tried ordering but looks like the site's down. :confused:
GoDaddy has been a pile of crap these last couple of weeks :( Sorry if the site is down...nothing I can do about it! You can always email me and I can invoice you directly with PayPal though! hex[at]hexinverter.net
Hexinverter Électronique

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:21 pm

dkMode wrote::-) I didn't mention snares...you are a mind reader? I may just order today as my residence is changing. :-D what a great week of SDIY!
Haha! And rimshots (with pitch mods), and 808 toms!!! It's a whole world of crazy analogue percussion instruments in my DIY offerings these days.

I have more of my own design in the works as well! :yay:
Hexinverter Électronique

mDang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mDang » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:29 pm

Hello hex !
Clap, snare vcnoize and batery acid work perfectly here !!!
I finally find my newbie mistake, i connected the ground on the second signal inlet...
:)
Analogeeks

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:51 pm

mDang wrote:Hello hex !
Clap, snare vcnoize and batery acid work perfectly here !!!
I finally find my newbie mistake, i connected the ground on the second signal inlet...
:)
Hehe that'll do it! Glad you spotted the error! Have fun :tu:
Hexinverter Électronique

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:52 pm

I've just restocked PCBs and added some eurorack panels for this project in my shop :cloud:

http://shop.hexinverter.net/category.php?id_category=8
Hexinverter Électronique

rosch
roadkill

Post by rosch » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:09 am

the clap sounds great and worked first try (with Re:Synthesis panel)
right now i'm waiting for a bunch of pots that i hope will be here before the weekend and once i've completed the rest (and they work too, fingers crossed) i'll make a video. it's just the kick and clap so far.
looking forward to the mutant cowbell and hats of course.
are you planning to do some more of the ateohate sounds (or other drum legends)?

strategy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by strategy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:27 pm

I wanted to box up my Bananeurysm/Anesthetic Audio 808 kick drum module and my neinOhnein clap in the same box to create a "sidecar" type expander for my TR606 - giving it what it lacks (flexible kick and clap!)

curious to see if i could run them off the same supply I put bipolar 9V to the clap and can confirm it works great. I don't know if it sounds identical to higher voltage becuase I haven't tested it with that supply yet but, it sounds like a 909 clap to me but something I can make 'my own.'

So if anyone was curious to power it at a lower voltage....it works.

I used a little power conversion circuit too to get +/-9V from a positive 9V supply. You can find these for 'effects pedal' circuits - like this one: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/com ... gory_id=23

Uses a MAX1044 chip to do the conversion. So you can have a unique drum sound or several powered from a typical guitar pedal supply. Some loss of headroom but not very noticeable in my opinion

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:57 pm

strategy wrote:I wanted to box up my Bananeurysm/Anesthetic Audio 808 kick drum module and my neinOhnein clap in the same box to create a "sidecar" type expander for my TR606 - giving it what it lacks (flexible kick and clap!)

curious to see if i could run them off the same supply I put bipolar 9V to the clap and can confirm it works great. I don't know if it sounds identical to higher voltage becuase I haven't tested it with that supply yet but, it sounds like a 909 clap to me but something I can make 'my own.'

So if anyone was curious to power it at a lower voltage....it works.

I used a little power conversion circuit too to get +/-9V from a positive 9V supply. You can find these for 'effects pedal' circuits - like this one: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/com ... gory_id=23

Uses a MAX1044 chip to do the conversion. So you can have a unique drum sound or several powered from a typical guitar pedal supply. Some loss of headroom but not very noticeable in my opinion
Sweet! That's awesome. You should photograph your project! It sounds cool.
Hexinverter Électronique

Aniara
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Aniara » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:31 am

Very nice clones from hexinverter, after some troubleshooting all of them are up and running smoothly in the modular. The exception is the 909 clap. I have a problem with the Intensity, which isn't effected by the 50k pot voltage divider at all. It seems to be at full intensity all the time with much too much decay. The voltage on the collector of Q7 is changing though. I have made an adapter for using ½ 13700 instead of CA3080, but this shouldn't bring any noticable effect or what? Before I substitute any transistors, I wonder of any one has a clever idea what could be the problem. The PCB is thoroughly checked for errors.

Thanks!

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Aniara wrote:Very nice clones from hexinverter, after some troubleshooting all of them are up and running smoothly in the modular. The exception is the 909 clap. I have a problem with the Intensity, which isn't effected by the 50k pot voltage divider at all. It seems to be at full intensity all the time with much too much decay. The voltage on the collector of Q7 is changing though. I have made an adapter for using ½ 13700 instead of CA3080, but this shouldn't bring any noticable effect or what? Before I substitute any transistors, I wonder of any one has a clever idea what could be the problem. The PCB is thoroughly checked for errors.

Thanks!
Sorry, I've got nothing for ya!

But yes, the LM13700 should be a perfectly fine substitute for the CA3080. I'd go over your connections and make sure that you've connected it right. The pinouts are of course nothing alike :omg:
Hexinverter Électronique

Aniara
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Aniara » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:15 am

Thank for reply. The adapter for 13700 works just just fine. When listening to samples from the Clap, I got the exact same sound as when in full Intensity. Ive spent many hours checking connections, orientations and discreet components, all seems fine. Perhaps I must try substituting transistors :(

hexinverter wrote:
Aniara wrote:Very nice clones from hexinverter, after some troubleshooting all of them are up and running smoothly in the modular. The exception is the 909 clap. I have a problem with the Intensity, which isn't effected by the 50k pot voltage divider at all. It seems to be at full intensity all the time with much too much decay. The voltage on the collector of Q7 is changing though. I have made an adapter for using ½ 13700 instead of CA3080, but this shouldn't bring any noticable effect or what? Before I substitute any transistors, I wonder of any one has a clever idea what could be the problem. The PCB is thoroughly checked for errors.

Thanks!
Sorry, I've got nothing for ya!

But yes, the LM13700 should be a perfectly fine substitute for the CA3080. I'd go over your connections and make sure that you've connected it right. The pinouts are of course nothing alike :omg:

zvonx
Common Wiggler

Post by zvonx » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 am

I'm working on this build right now. (my first eurorack build)

Just wondering if anyone knows off the top of their head what size drill bits to use the for the alpha pots and the 3.5mm knobiconn jacks?

Since resynthesis is down I ordered blanks for synthrotek

Also on Hex's pcb mounting video, the sheet metal screws look quite long for attaching the PCB to the metal bracket. Do you typically just hacksaw off the screw to the right length once installed?

Thanks!

EDIT: I figured out the drill bit. Still wondering if people just cut off the screws?
Last edited by zvonx on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zvonx
Common Wiggler

Post by zvonx » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:53 am

What kind / size of header pins do you use for connecting the noise board? I'm having a hard time figuring out the right ones to use.

I pulled these from a different hex project:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 1-124-20LF

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 0-01-20-RB

but the male pins say they are .48 inches and I'm worried that won't be long enough to clear the socketed ICs

If anyone can let me know what size they used that would be great!

Thank you

Return to “Music Tech DIY”