BMC010. Dual Decaying Noise/Dual Delaying Noise

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Boogdish
Common Wiggler

BMC010. Dual Decaying Noise/Dual Delaying Noise

Post by Boogdish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:16 pm

EDIT 1-26-2013: PCBs are in and available.

EDIT 1-22-2013: For info on the Dual Delaying Noise project that uses the same hardware, go to This post.

I just completed a new prototype that I wanted to share with folks. This project uses a single PIC16F685 as noise-source, VCA and envelope generator for both channels, so you can get two high-hat/snare/video game sword slash type sounds only using 3 ICs (The micro, a voltage regulator and a quad op-amp).

There's a picture of the front of my prototype in the gloat thread viewtopic.php?t=74730&start=62

And here's a picture of the guts. As you can see, it's a relatively low-parts count build. This is a 6HP panel.

Each channel has a knob for decay time, when using external CV for decay time, the knob will act as an attenuator, when turned all the way up, there is no decay and the channel will act as a straight noise source.

There are two switches for each channel, one selects between a linear or logarithmic decay curve. The other marked "Open/Closed" selects whether the noise stays on during gate signals or only responds to the rising edge.

The audio on my camera is pretty poor, so I recorded an mp3 demo. When first turned on, it's in logarithmic/closed mode, then I do linear/closed, then linear/open, then log/open.

http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/mp ... ample1.mp3

Luckily, I don't have to go through any hardware revisions on this, so I should have boards ready for folks relatively soon on this. $18 for a PCB/PIC. I will be writing build documentation for this soon, and when that's up, I'll start taking pre-orders.

If/when people are interested in getting boards, please e-mail me at Michael [the at symbol] bartonmusicalcircuits [period] com . E-mail makes it easier for me to keep track of, puts less strain on Muffs servers, and helps keep the content of this thread to only useful/fun information/conversation.

There is a page on my website for this project
Last edited by Boogdish on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I have DIY stuff and pre-made eurorack modules of my designs at: www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com

raisinbag
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by raisinbag » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:19 pm

Cool, see you outside the matrix.

Taylor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Taylor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:23 pm

This really sounds lovely to me. I am most definitely in for several.

I can't really tell from the clip - is there much energy in the bass frequencies coming out of this? Could one of these, lowpass filtered, be used as a kick as well?

Boogdish
Common Wiggler

Post by Boogdish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:55 pm

Hey Taylor, there is a little bit of a drop off of frequencies at about 120hz. I'm going to experiment with using a larger coupling cap to see if I can get it a little flatter down there. It's also possible that the mixer this ran through when recording might not have a flat response.

This is a spectrograph of a section from the mp3 demo I posted. As you can see, there's a little bit of a dropoff in the very low end, and it gradually drops off until about 15khz, which is about the edge of human hearing.
I have DIY stuff and pre-made eurorack modules of my designs at: www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:23 pm

You are killing me. Haven't you taken enough of my money today already ?

:)

Taylor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Taylor » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:42 pm

A few of these, plus your voltage to rhythm converter, would make a really fun compact drum synth. This is exactly what I've been looking for. Super excited!

I just did a little DSP sim of a noise-based kick drum. If there's still any energy left in the 50-100hz segment then this will work really well, and IMO sound much better than the damped filter-type kick drums we normally hear in electro music.

Boogdish
Common Wiggler

Post by Boogdish » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:57 pm

I have written build documentation for this project and made a page for it on my website.

http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/ddn/

Boogdish
Common Wiggler

Post by Boogdish » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Hey, so I decided I like programming more than I like cleaning the house, so I wrote another set of software to go along with this hardware.

It's the "Dual Delaying Noise." It's 2 channels of digital noise with a built in delay on each channel. Instead of the switches controlling Lin/Log and Open/Close, they now control what parameters the knobs are controlling. The parameters per channel are Decay, Delay Time, Repeats and Delay level. Using 2 knobs to control 8 parameters is a little awkward, but after a little practice, I was able to adjust any single parameter without messing with the other ones.

I recorded an mp3 of me adjusting some knobs. I don't have a stereo mixer, so I ran each channel through a bandpass filter so there's some separation.

http://bartonmusicalcircuits.com/mp3s/ddn%20demo2.mp3

So, this set of software will also be available if people prefer it to the decaying noise, and if people want an extra chip with this burned in, it'll be available for an extra $2 when buying boards.

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Oooh nice!

Microscopial
"stripes!!!" what me mmmm

Post by Microscopial » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:00 pm

I'm gonna wait till I need a few. Save on postage
lamond design
"working with wood"

email/ lamonddesign@gmail.com
flickr/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/59671775@N03/
twitter/ lamonddesign http://twitter.com/#!/
facebook/ ross lamond http://www.facebook.com/ross.lamond1 or follow the lamonddesign page
website/ www.lamonddesign.co.uk

Boogdish
Common Wiggler

Post by Boogdish » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:14 am

Got excited about this project again and wrote some more code.

This new one is decaying noise/tones. Each channel has a switch that selects between noise or square wave output, and a switch that selects whether the analog input for that channel is controlling decay time or frequency. One cool addition too is that the frequency control sets how often the noise updates itself, a feature that was definitely inspired by hexinverter's VC Noize project.

So, with one tuned tone and one noise, you can get a kick-like and a snare-like sound from one module.

Here's an mp3 demo of me turning knobs and flipping switches. The triggers are coming from my Clock/Divider in random mode, and the outputs are just going into a mixer.

Demo of noise/tones

Taylor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Taylor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:22 am

I dig it! This will be a third chip option? What would be required to have a switch to swap between chips o have all three possibilities in a single module?

Boogdish
Common Wiggler

Post by Boogdish » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Yes, this is a third chip option.

For switching, I usually just have a screwdriver sitting on top of my modular anyways, taking the module out of your system and physically swapping chips shouldn't be a big deal for your average DIYer.

Taylor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Taylor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Not too slick at a show though... :eek:

Would it work like some people do opamp chip swapping: solder all pins but power together and then just power on the one you want?

Boogdish
Common Wiggler

Post by Boogdish » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Boards are in. I built one up last night and can confirm they are working correctly. I will be shipping these out next week to folks who already expressed interest. If you'd like to build this project, please get in touch.

The one caveat is that I messed up my gerbers when ordering boards and left off the parts values on the PCB silkscreen. There aren't many different part values in the design anyways, so it's not a big deal, but I'll be including photocopied blown up overlays of the PCB to aid people when stuffing these PCBs. There's more information on this on my site.

Taylor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Taylor » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:31 pm

Got my first one built up, with the noise/tones chip. Fun! I must admit that I find it a little hard to control due to the way the pots control multiple parameters, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

For the moment I don't have much in the way of rhythm-producing modules (this will change once I get my V2R built up) so I could only create pretty basic beats with it, but I'm enjoying it still. A really cool circuit/MCU and a fairly easy build considering everything that it packs in.

I am not with my modular so I can't double check, but I couldn't get the pots to fit on the board. Are you using a new PCB-mount pot with a different spacing, or am I crazy?

Boogdish
Common Wiggler

Post by Boogdish » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 pm

The board is set up for Alpha 12mm PC mount pots. Alpha's part number is: Alpha RV120F-20-15F-B100K

Glad you're enjoying it.

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:15 am

Happy to announce availability of the clarke68 euro panel for the barton DDN :yay:

product link is here:
http://synthcube.com/cart/index.php?rou ... uct_id=234

we are also offering panel/pcb/chip bundles:
http://synthcube.com/cart/index.php?rou ... uct_id=235

panels and bundles will be in stock by 8 October 2013; click on 'notify me' to receive an email when they are in stock and available for shipping

thanks again to michael for the great circuit and clarke for the incredible panel design

Jonachi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jonachi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Finished mine today! works like a clock. Want to recomend Michael/Barton everyone! Always helpful! Thanks Michael!

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:20 pm

happy to report that full kits are in stock now- clarke robinson panel for euro, 10hp

http://synthcube.com/cart/index.php?rou ... uct_id=365

enjoy!

markfrancombe
Common Wiggler

Post by markfrancombe » Thu May 29, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi, bit of a newb here, and wondering about the...

"10K R2R Array, (6 pin version, 10K value not critical)"

Im trying to find in either
http://no.mouser.com/
or
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/
Just CANOT FIND IT!!

Can someone suggest a part number or something... I just dont know what Im looking for... No idea what an array is...

Mark

sammy123
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sammy123 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:26 pm

disregard
Last edited by sammy123 on Thu May 29, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markfrancombe
Common Wiggler

Post by markfrancombe » Thu May 29, 2014 3:41 pm

...the problem is R2R which seem to indicate some ladder connection of the resistors

M

Nordcore
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Nordcore » Thu May 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Last edited by Nordcore on Thu May 29, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Thu May 29, 2014 3:56 pm

try these?

100k bussed array 7 pin Mouser 652-4607X-1LF-100K
10k r2r array, 6 pin Mouser 81-RGSD8L203G

Return to “Music Tech DIY”