Favorite PT2399 based Delay Pedals

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Favorite PT2399 based Delay Pedals

Post by Illwiggle » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:25 pm

I have a Bugbrand PTDelay (‘18) that I love everything about except for the hum it introduces into my pedal rig. I bought it when I had a Bugbrand system & it was super, but in my guitar/rhodes rig its just too noisy. So Im looking for a replacement.

So far the ones that have caught my ear are
*Death by audio - Delay dream 2
*Electroman

I specifically like the griminess & edgy sparkle of the PTDelay... I already have a Moog 104z, & I find its smoothness pairs superbly with the PT2399 grit.

Anyway, I appreciate any help
Thanks!

prscrptn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Favorite PT2399 based Delay Pedals

Post by prscrptn » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Although my experience with bug brand is somewhat limited, I do believe that Tom makes some pretty high quality devices. That being said, have you tried using an isolated power supply with your PT Delay? I have found that it can make a dramatic difference in performance when a isolated PSU is used. It can often just be the combination of connections between different sources.

Here is my top three PT2399 delays;

1. Demedash Effects - T-120 videotape echo; probably my favorite of all time, sounds like a true tape echo, incredibly organic and Steve the designer/manufacture is a great guy. Not cheap or easily obtained, but well worth the wait, highly recommended!

http://www.demedasheffects.com/pages/t- ... otape-echo

2. Caroline Guitar Co. - Kilobyte Lo-fi Delay; gritty lo-fi delay with a solid preamp that can get a nice distortion. There is also a “Havoc” switch that engages momentary feedback for dub style effects. Although this is labeled a lo-fi delay, it will clean up nicely, and it’s definitely not a one trick pony. Philippe is the designer/owner and another wonderful person to work with...

http;//carolineguitar.com/product/kilobyte/

3. Synthrotek - PT2399 Dev. Delay Kit; inexpensive DIY kit that can easily fit into almost any device and has all of the grit and grime of an old school delay. Very quick and easy build and pre-built stomp box versions are also available for purchase.

http://store.synthrotek.com/PT2399_Dev_Delay_Kit

B0bcat
Common Wiggler

Post by B0bcat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:25 pm

prscrptn wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:00 pm
1. Demedash Effects - T-120 videotape echo; probably my favorite of all time, sounds like a true tape echo, incredibly organic and Steve the designer/manufacture is a great guy. Not cheap or easily obtained, but well worth the wait, highly recommended!

http://www.demedasheffects.com/pages/t- ... otape-echo
This looks interesting - have you tried the deluxe version?
WTB: Plan B or SubCon Model 15 VCO, Intellijel Dixie v1, Doepfer A-129-5

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:50 pm

prscrptn wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:00 pm
Although my experience with bug brand is somewhat limited, I do believe that Tom makes some pretty high quality devices. That being said, have you tried using an isolated power supply with your PT Delay? I have found that it can make a dramatic difference in performance when a isolated PSU is used. It can often just be the combination of connections between different sources.
Especially important for digital pedals.

prscrptn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by prscrptn » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:45 pm

B0bcat wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:25 pm
This looks interesting - have you tried the deluxe version?
I have not tried the deluxe, but I can safely say the standard version sounds better than any other analog or digital delay that I own. Demedash has also collaborated with Pine Box Customs to create Sirens which is a unique Chorus effect with a warm medium overdrive that can be both subtle and extreme. Another fantastic product from two exceptional designers/engineers!

http://www.pineboxcustoms.com/sirens

B0bcat
Common Wiggler

Post by B0bcat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 pm

Thanks!
WTB: Plan B or SubCon Model 15 VCO, Intellijel Dixie v1, Doepfer A-129-5

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:00 am

I did write to Illwiggle to check out what the issue might be - saying I've not tended to use the PTDelay within pedal chains and also enquiring about power. I've not had people expressing issues, so I'm curious to find out what is up!

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:07 pm

Thanks for the recs everyone.. That Demedash pedal sounds amazing...not really like a VHS tape ha, but still sounds killer... & that chorus pedal has got me thinking of selling off my Diamond chorus for it.

johnstilton
Common Wiggler

Post by johnstilton » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:09 pm

the MFOS ECHOFXXX used the PT2399. (modular, not pedals ) I have two pcbs finished but I havn't completed the panel build yet.

I'm hoping to be done with my big MFOS build by September in time for KnobCon and I hope they work well.

JimY
Common Wiggler

Post by JimY » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:17 am

I would make an effort to cure the hum with the pedal you have. Most stompboxes common the signal and power ground wiring so there is a good chance you can have a similar hum problem with a different make.
Has a conversation with Bugbrand happened?

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:14 pm

Yea, I am in dialogue with Tom about it. Nothing else in my pedal rig is making noise. :waah:

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”