Amp/Cab Sims, Direct Recording (Niall Goes Gearslutz)

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Amp/Cab Sims, Direct Recording (Niall Goes Gearslutz)

Post by syncretism » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:23 am

Electric guitar's not my main thing, but I have a need for some clean-ish rockabilly and early country twang stuff... and zero desire to deal with moving and micing combo amps, let alone cabinets, etc. There are a lot of rack and floor solutions out there, but all the demos I'm seeing are shredder and heavy riffing stuff.

I guess I'm wondering - can all these Line 6, Boss, Mooer, etc things get me here convincingly?

Or, put another way, I got the Telecaster - do I really need it "through a Vibrolux, turned up to ten?"

XXXEsq
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Amp/Cab Sims, Direct Recording (Niall Goes Gearslutz)

Post by XXXEsq » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43 pm

I can vouch for the Line-6 gear. I have a Helix which is exceptional. If you take the time to build and tweak your own patches and add a few after-market IRs, it will do a very convincing emulation of pretty much anything you could want.
I still have my old PodXT-Live which now only does effects in my studio chain, and - while it was OK 10 years ago - can't hold a candle to the Helix.
If you don't need all the controls, the XH-Stomp can get you 95% of the way there.
Moog IIP, Dot.Com 110, Moog One 16V, MiniMoog, Cubase 10.5/64, Ableton Live 10.1.2/64, W10Pro/64, i75820/GigaX99SLI/16Gigs Hyper-X, 3xSSDs, 2xMR816, MidiExpress128, Expressionist, Social Entropy Engine, Novation SL61MKII, SL49MKII, HPD15, HR824s, NS10Ms, Analog Rytm Mk II, Komplet12, Omnisphere 2.6, RMX, Trillian, Analog Lab, MMV2, Z3ta+, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), 700, Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:57 pm

That's helpful, thanks - are you recording the output direct, or micing up a speaker, too?

[Edit: The Helix looks nothing short of amazing. Holy shit, will you look at all those sends. You can place those anywhere arbitrarily in the signal chain and free up DSP by looping out to other pedals, channel strips, etc?]

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:51 pm

Also a happy Helix user here. I also use Tech21’s VTBassDI and engineers love the tone.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:50 pm

Another Helix user. It is great.

wuff_miggler
Common Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:07 pm

depending on how "pro studio" you want the solution - what i've used in the past are the Palmer rack cab sims:

They are analogue hardware (which for me is important when recording tube amps) - basically jacks - with a big dummy load with an EQ after it - which you can control (ie. imitating the natural 5khz cut off that happens from guitar speakers) - then you can output as line level, or mic level.

I personally like to use Mic level outputs and input into something super coloured like a TG chandler germanium preamp, or the API 500 series JLM TG preamps.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:28 am

I use and champion the Fractal Audio Axe FX. They are rather pricey but I find it to be worthy.

I’ve read your needs and suggest investigating a Boss VF-1. They can be had for less than 150 EuroBucks. I snuck a model of a Fender Twin Reverb onto a couple of records and no one was the wiser. They are excellent.

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:59 pm

Thanks, Kent!

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:32 pm

Was thinking of such things lately & got the Strymon Iridium - happy so far but I'm not super knowledgeable on all the guitary bits - didn't want to dive deep into decision makings, so lazily went with the Iridium - perfect for me.

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:44 pm

Aye, Tom, it’s a real quagmire of options and research. There’s definitely something to be said for getting on with it!

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”