I'm addicted to Phasers.

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Re: I'm addicted to Phasers.

Post by AbundantChoice » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Just got the Old Blood Visitor. It's a Phaser / Chorus / Tremolo with a "secondary layer" that can be Chorus or Tremolo. It's freaking amazing. Set the primary layer to phaser, set the secondary layer to tremolo and it really brings things to life.

Biom
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:48 pm

Thorsday wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:28 pm
My basis of comparison is also owning Moogerfooger MF-103, MXR Phase 95, and Eventide H8000FW... The ADA Final Phase is my go-to Phaser. I also have the full size Flanger. These 2017 reissues are top
quality.
Extremely interested in this one either! How would you compare it to the MF-103?
To my opinion, the 103 is very transparent, sometimes even invisible at mild settings, though you realise, how great it is while bypassing and then switching it on again. It just does this psychoacoustic movement without altering the timbre, absolutely a very hi-fi phaser. Then again, it does bring something to a sound. Something very beautiful, organic and tangible, as many of us usually call "magical". same goes for the 102 - not only does it perform the task, but it also adds something else, something really amazing.

I own ADA flanger and would call it anything, but transparent or invisible, no matter how you set it up, yet it's the best flanger I've heard, so very curious about the phaser too.

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:42 pm

Biom wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:48 pm
Thorsday wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:28 pm
My basis of comparison is also owning Moogerfooger MF-103, MXR Phase 95, and Eventide H8000FW... The ADA Final Phase is my go-to Phaser. I also have the full size Flanger. These 2017 reissues are top
quality.
Extremely interested in this one either! How would you compare it to the MF-103?
To my opinion, the 103 is very transparent, sometimes even invisible at mild settings, though you realise, how great it is while bypassing and then switching it on again. It just does this psychoacoustic movement without altering the timbre, absolutely a very hi-fi phaser. Then again, it does bring something to a sound. Something very beautiful, organic and tangible, as many of us usually call "magical". same goes for the 102 - not only does it perform the task, but it also adds something else, something really amazing.

I own ADA flanger and would call it anything, but transparent or invisible, no matter how you set it up, yet it's the best flanger I've heard, so very curious about the phaser too.
I go for the MF-103 when I want juicy, more subtle phaser... The subtle magic you experience is in the MoogerFooger's drive circuit... Sometimes, I go totally dry and use them (101, 102, 103, 108M) for their drive alone. The cool thing is, each has a different characteristic drive! So cool.

The ADA Final Phase is actually like you described their Flanger. It is in your face and like a airy electronic whoosh that is not subtle. It says it in the description, it is more ratio... From ADAamps website: "...versatile RANGE CONTROL to position your sweep center and high-Q filters that can be made resonant with the INTENSITY control. (Techies: the Final Phase filters have a Q of 1, as compared to the industry’s standard Q of ½. This means more coloration and depth to the sound.)"

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:53 am

Technologear? wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:19 pm
There's been a few mentions in this thread of using two phasers as a stereo pair. Anyone who's experimented with this care to comment?
I like the idea for string synths and pads, and have return channels on my mixer free.
I use a pair of Boss RT-20 Rotary Simulator pedals in this manner ... well, sortof. I really like the ~dual Leslie~ sound which was so prominent in the 1970s. I came up with this dual RT-20 thing as a test ... and does it ever work great! Combined with a decent mixer that has some useful routing options, there is a lot that can be done with a rig like this. I use a Mackie 1202 VLZ for this purpose (I have a VLZ Pro and a VLZ3 .. I think). Those Boss rotary simulators can be set up as phase shifters. Of course, like anything, it all depends on what you're doing and where you want to take things which could determine whether or not something of this nature would work.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

johnstilton
Common Wiggler

Post by johnstilton » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Mu-Tron has posted on their FB page that assembly of the first run of Bi-Phaseii pedals will be ready for sale this month (July 2020).

Many people have asked if they are doing pre-sales, but they don't answer to those inquiries, so probably not.

No hint of the cost either but the few re-imagined Bi-Phases they have already released were $529 and they were sold out within hours.

https://www.facebook.com/MuTronMusitron ... 2143098293

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:39 pm

johnstilton wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:37 pm
Mu-Tron has posted on their FB page that assembly of the first run of Bi-Phaseii pedals will be ready for sale this month (July 2020).

Many people have asked if they are doing pre-sales, but they don't answer to those inquiries, so probably not.

No hint of the cost either but the few re-imagined Bi-Phases they have already released were $529 and they were sold out within hours.

$529. Really. Damn, I'm in the wrong business.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

johnstilton
Common Wiggler

Post by johnstilton » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:00 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:39 pm
johnstilton wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:37 pm

$529. Really. Damn, I'm in the wrong business.
Who knows what it cost to resurrect the brand name from whoever owned it (?) They have resurrected a number of classic designs already in more modern packages for $279 each. I’ve been waiting 25 years for the possibility of this resurrection but the steep price without at least seeing it thoroughly reviewed has me thinking about waiting out the initial run. Esp. since I plan on giving Mr. Holzer a deposit for a Benjolin before he goes off to university.

L13
Learning to Wiggle

Post by L13 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:59 pm

love my non script vintage mxr phase 90
it does the EVH thing perfectly
also the vintage small stone i have is is great
i use both more as a filter/treble boost than a washing machine though

Biom
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:44 pm

Thorsday wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:42 pm
I go for the MF-103 when I want juicy, more subtle phaser... The subtle magic you experience is in the MoogerFooger's drive circuit... Sometimes, I go totally dry and use them (101, 102, 103, 108M) for their drive alone. The cool thing is, each has a different characteristic drive! So cool.

The ADA Final Phase is actually like you described their Flanger. It is in your face and like a airy electronic whoosh that is not subtle. It says it in the description, it is more ratio... From ADAamps website: "...versatile RANGE CONTROL to position your sweep center and high-Q filters that can be made resonant with the INTENSITY control. (Techies: the Final Phase filters have a Q of 1, as compared to the industry’s standard Q of ½. This means more coloration and depth to the sound.)"
Thank you for your insight!
I'm also a fan of Fooger's drive, but the one I like most is 101, 102. I easily prefer it over a hi-end thousand dollar overdrive. Though, in 103 I rarely go beyond unity, preferring the subtlety, besides, as you mentioned, the drive there is a bit different to the other Foogers. I believe, the "magic" lies in something else there, like the space they tend to occupy and "lush" sound. They definitely has a character.
Glad to know about ADA! Of course, I've read the description, but been curious if their circuit is as interesting as it is on paper. It seemed too showy with this Q of 1 on the demos I've seen, though, they were guitar-centric.

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:56 pm

Biom wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:44 pm
Thorsday wrote:

I'm also a fan of Fooger's drive, but the one I like most is 101, 102. I easily prefer it over a hi-end thousand dollar overdrive. Though, in 103 I rarely go beyond unity, preferring the subtlety, besides, as you mentioned, the drive there is a bit different to the other Foogers. I believe, the "magic" lies in something else there, like the space they tend to occupy and "lush" sound. They definitely has a character.
Glad to know about ADA! Of course, I've read the description, but been curious if their circuit is as interesting as it is on paper. It seemed too showy with this Q of 1 on the demos I've seen, though, they were guitar-centric.
Another thing about the ADA... It is not nearly as forgiving as a MXR Phase 90. It is brutal and dynamic. Especially with the drive. Not compressed at all. Unique beast, the ADA. Funnily enough, I have yet to try it with any of my synths!

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 pm

Thorsday wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:56 pm
Biom wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:44 pm
Thorsday wrote:

Another thing about the ADA... It is not nearly as forgiving as an MXR Phase 90. It is brutal and dynamic. Especially with the drive. Not compressed at all. Unique beast, the ADA. Funnily enough, I have yet to try it with any of my synths!
This exactly. The A/DA Final Phase is way more than a Phaser. It is 'symbiotic' beast. The Phaser part is not as whooshey and standard as generic phaser. The Overdrive part is very dependent on the amp or guitar you use tone wise and on both versions drops volume pretty steep (40%).

I grew up w/ an original Final Phase and Flanger and have had the reissue Final Phase for 5-7 years. The Flanger forever.

The Final Phase is odd. The Flanger is the best.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Biom
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biom » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:12 am

Thank you, guys!
Totally agreed about the flanger (will never part with it), need to try the phaser!

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”