Eventide's Blackhole Pedal

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Orville71
Learning to Wiggle

Eventide's Blackhole Pedal

Post by Orville71 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:15 am

Hi everybody, in case you haven’t heard, I’m pleased to announce the release of the Eventide Blackhole reverb pedal!

Check out our live stream!
We’re broadcasting on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/eventide/live or on YouTube at https://etide.io/91520 

Learn more about the pedal here:
https://www.eventideaudio.com/blackhole-pedal

Blackhole demonstration videos can be viewed at https://etide.io/blackhole-pedal-videos
Blackhole 1080D.jpg
Features

Five presets loaded at your feet with dozens more available with Eventide Device Manager (EDM) software
Control the Size of your space from a cartoonishly small room to a limitless universe
Use PreDelay to offset the onset of the reverb
Turn up Feedback to go beyond the event horizon
Tap the Freeze Footswitch to instantly 'freeze' your sound 
Dual action Active Footswitch is latching or momentary
Rear panel Guitar/Line Level switch for selecting use with guitar, synths, FX loop or DAW interface
Map any combination of parameters to an Expression Pedal
Use a single Aux switch to Tap Tempo or a triple Aux switch for easy preset changing (up/down/load)
MIDI capability over TRS (use with a MIDI to TRS cable or converter box) or USB
Multiple Bypass options: Buffered, Relay, DSP+FX or Kill dry
Catch-up mode helps dial in your sound when toggling between presets/parameters
Eventide Device Manager PC or Mac application for software updates, system settings and creating/saving presets
Fine-tune your tone with Lo, Hi and Q (resonance) controls. Use the tone controls to add airiness or clear up the low-end. Map the EQ controls to an expression pedal to add movement to the reverb tail
Unique Gravity control to custom-tailor the reverb tail in two realms — normal or inverse decay. Create interesting swells or suck the dry signal back into the reverb tail. At longer decay times, Blackhole allows the articulation to shine through without competing with the reverb tail
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kattefjaes
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Eventide's Blackhole Pedal

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 am

Uff those presenters, very QVC, duuuude. I'll wait for some third party demos, I think ;)

crowleywaltz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crowleywaltz » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:16 pm

So is this a cheaper alternative to Space or a replacement or?

Orville71
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Orville71 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:31 pm

crowleywaltz wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:16 pm
So is this a cheaper alternative to Space or a replacement or?
Space is currently still available but I do believe the older technology pedals are becoming harder to make. I think you've hit the nail though, this is a good intro to Eventide or great for people only looking for a killer, unique reverb.

crowleywaltz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crowleywaltz » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:12 pm

About half the price of a new Space I see, which is even cheaper than I was expecting! Might have to give it a try...
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... verb-pedal

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:51 pm

The Blackhole VST is dope, and it looks like this has the same presets. I see Andromeda called out in that playlist. Very cool little verb.

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:42 pm

I wonder how this will compare to the Empress reverb and the GFI specular tempus - there's some very mean competition in regard to reverb.

Pyrrhix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pyrrhix » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:51 pm

Looking at the features, enclosure, knobs, even LED style, I can't help but think this is intended to directly compete with Meris' Mercury7.

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:33 am

All those others are in competition with Eventide! (I kid... kind of.)

I can't imagine just using Blackhole myself, the hall, room, reverse algorithms are all so good on Space.

This, however, makes more sense for a lot of people - takes up less room on a pedalboard, can run on pretty much any power supply on the market, all functions are clearly labeled, half the price.

I have a Mercury 7 still and had a Specular Tempus. I didn't think the ST was outstanding aside from the shimmer - but shimmer's not my thing. Excellent oddball delays though.

Mercury7, I've got the hi frequency knob almost perpetually at 0 on the cathedral algorithm - too much high end makes it grainy IMO. The pitch shifting is awful and not in a cool retro way. Remembering the secondary functions and the startup functions (like changing from instrument to line) - awful.

Space/Blackhole is denser than the others and melds into the dry signal better - I sort of have a theory that this is because there's no analog dry component, the entire signal is running through the box. (I think the Blackhole pedal will have an analog dry thru though?)

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:55 am

Nothing at all going on in that R&D department anymore, eh? Why anyone wouldn't just save for a used Space is beyond me. It's this... and SO MUCH MORE. I'm a Space and H9 Max owner for what its worth.

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:13 am

I was ready to be very impressed but am a bit meh after the demos. Seems a bit fizzy and buzzy unless everything's rolled off. Not a fan of the TRS input either.

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:27 pm

digitalganesha wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:55 am
Nothing at all going on in that R&D department anymore, eh? Why anyone wouldn't just save for a used Space is beyond me. It's this... and SO MUCH MORE. I'm a Space and H9 Max owner for what its worth.
The Space is very large, has a weird power requirement and the knobs aren't very intuitive for the most part. If you don't use the other algorithms and want to be able to power it from your regular pedalboard supply, this makes a ton of sense.

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:34 am

everydaycurry wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:27 pm
digitalganesha wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:55 am
The Space is very large, has a weird power requirement and the knobs aren't very intuitive for the most part. If you don't use the other algorithms and want to be able to power it from your regular pedalboard supply, this makes a ton of sense.
For the relatively narrow difference in price - I still don't see the logic.
Space and big format Strymon pedals are roughly about the same size. Having immediate access to low and high EQ, mix and pitch/modulation (depending on the model being used) are as intuitive as it gets. And power is 9V 500ma center + ... a $3 reverse polarity converter solves the issue, not much of a problem in my book. I used to have MoogerFoogers on my live board... that is much more problematic. :hihi:

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:45 am

digitalganesha wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:34 am
For the relatively narrow difference in price - I still don't see the logic.
Space and big format Strymon pedals are roughly about the same size. Having immediate access to low and high EQ, mix and pitch/modulation (depending on the model being used) are as intuitive as it gets. And power is 9V 500ma center + ... a $3 reverse polarity converter solves the issue, not much of a problem in my book. I used to have MoogerFoogers on my live board... that is much more problematic. :hihi:
A lot of people don't use the Timeline or the big reverb for the same reason, though. The Volante's size compared to the Dawner Prince Boonar is a strike against it. Whether or not they're a problem for you doesn't mean various issues aren't a problem for other people.

I have no plans to replace my Space, I'm just stating how the Blackhole is useful - you can now save $200 (not a small amount), have a lighter power requirement, take up less space and have all knobs clearly labeled.

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:12 am

This is a no-brainer for me. I own a BigSky; and while it's very lush-sounding (and has a TON of tweaking available), there's something to be said for a more streamlined set of controls. You don't fall down a rabbit-hole of sound design (just for your effects); better for end-of-chain 'verbness. Seems to tick the important boxes: Mono or stereo, line or inst level; and has an (the?) Eventide sound, without breaking the bank.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:24 am

This is now in the top of my wish list. I got a Rose recently and I really like it - great sound, very versatile and intuitive (but also capable of deep editing). I've always been intrigued by the *Factor and Space boxes, and might still grab them at some point, but right now this makes more sense to me.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”