Dirty Boy Pedal Power Issue

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

warmtape
Common Wiggler

Dirty Boy Pedal Power Issue

Post by warmtape » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:41 pm

Hi, I just received a dirty boy, cannibal boy pedal in the mail. unfortunately it's not working properly and I'm hoping someone might have some insight as to how i can fix the issue.
When I plug the input jack in half way, the power light comes on the pedal, but when I plug the cable all the way into the input jack the power light shuts off and the pedal is dead (when the effect is engaged). it is true bypass and when the pedal is off (whether powered or not) the signal goes through fine. So the issue is only when the effect is engaged. Any ideas?

I've attached some pics that mostly focus on the input jack (though the pics aren't great quality...). the pic showing the whole pedal from above has the input jack at the top of the image, in case anyone can take a look
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

warmtape
Common Wiggler

Re: Dirty Boy Pedal Power Issue

Post by warmtape » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:03 pm

and something absolutely insane just happened.
i also have a Germanium boy from Dirty Boy pedals. I got it from the same seller a few weeks back. I was enjoying it since then (only ever used a wall wart) and haven't had any issues. I just opened it up to see how it looked to compare/contrast and right after i opened it, looked at it, put the back plate back on, plugged it in to check it, but the same exact issue that is happening with the Cannibal Boy started happening with the Germanium. the Germanium was fine up until now. i feel like i'm losing my mind.

edit: i've tried multiple cables and cleaning the input but no improvement (i knew this wouldn't work as the pedal passes the bypassed signal fine)

jimini
1-Post Wiggler

Post by jimini » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:15 am

Might be a short. Does the backplate have any kind of insulation?

plainofjars
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plainofjars » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:24 pm

Golly what a mess in there... oof

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Just for shits and giggles, are you certain that you've got your in/out cables properly plugged in to the pedals? Look, and be absolutely certain before you answer that. Be sure the output of your guitar is plugged into the input of the pedals (and not the other way around). It's ~free~ to check this, no money involved and just a minute of your time.
warmtape wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:41 pm
....When I plug the input jack in half way, the power light comes on the pedal, but when I plug the cable all the way into the input jack the power light shuts off and the pedal is dead (when the effect is engaged). it is true bypass and when the pedal is off (whether powered or not) the signal goes through fine. So the issue is only when the effect is engaged....
This is what's leading me to wonder if you've got things connected properly. Well, this and the fact that your other pedal is behaving "the same way" now after you've tried it, but it worked fine before.
5U NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

SCREW IT ... PULL THE PIN

prscrptn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by prscrptn » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:12 pm

1st I’d try using a 9v battery to eliminate the issue is not the pedal, if it works on battery power then it is the input jack or the psu which probably is due to a short. In a worst case scenario you would need to replace the 2.1mm input or your power source. If you have a DMM, check the power on the supply to verify voltage and also check continuity between the barrel input on the pedal and the pcb. Sometimes it can just be 2 wires touching when the connector gets twisted so don’t panic, it’s probably an easy fix :tu:

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”