Good stereo reverb

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Jee
Common Wiggler

Good stereo reverb

Post by Jee » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:49 pm

I'm in a quest to find a good stereo reverb to pair with my modular and / or hardware synths and it's actually a bit overwelhming with all the pedals on the market.
I have discarded the rack reverbs (maybe wrongly) for now because... too much choices (and often more expensive).
That said I want to be sure that the pedal will go well with line-level (or even directly modular levels ideally) and that it won't saturate harshly. It's hard to find the information if a pedal is compliant with line-level signals.
I also want a rather hands-on reverb, easy to play and adjust live. No screen, no fancy "you have to remember the buttons combination" stuff. Secondary functions through a function button, when decently labelled, are OK though.
Simple and direct setup.

Anyway, this technical bit aside, I'm looking for a reverb that can do these nice large and lush ambiant sounds but without too much coloration (not fond of shimmers for example), but also one that has nice sound in shorter times.
ALL the demos I found on youtube always strongly focus on long tails ambiant sounds played with a guitar (beautiful but boring) and I feel like it's just half of the options here.
Short times pair well with drums and percussive synth sounds, and I struggle to find such demos.
And finally, I like tremolo effect but I have none. A reverb that would have some tremolo-verb would be appreciated.

I spent countless time watching reverb demos on youtube and I ended up with some sort of shortlist but I just can't decide / be sure of the one that would be the best / most suitable to my (wide) needs.

- Empress reverb
- Source Audio Ventris
- Mercury7
- EHX oceans 12

The oceans 12 caught my attention (also quite cheap) but I heard it can distord with line level and some demos did sound quite good and some other pretty bad (maybe also linked to the presenter sound) so i'm not sure. If anyone use this reverb with synths, I gladly take a feedback.
Any feedback about the listed pedals combined with synths and modular stuff is good to take too.

Any thoughts on other reverbs that would fit these requirements is more than welcome.
thanks!

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Good stereo reverb

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:56 pm

Obvious one- see if any of the modes of the Strymon Bigsky light your fire? Very popular reverb unit for a reason.

Flounderguts
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:24 pm

The Meris has a line level switch.

I'm jonesing for one, but I really prefer rackmount stuff. I just don't see value in the 500 series, tho...
----------------------

Flounderguts

Claude
Common Wiggler

Post by Claude » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:27 pm

Pick up a used TC Electronic Nova Reverb, they run at 12V and have lots of headroom.

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:35 pm

GFI Specular Reverb (or the Specular Tempus if you want delay built in too) is quite underrated imo but sounds absolutely lovely. Worth checking some demos.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:08 pm

The strymon gear well... I don’t know, not so convinced so far.
The nova reverb look quite interesting, especially if it has good headroom. I didn’t even know it exist, thanks.
There’s one used available for 80€, let’s see if I can get it. At this price looks like a no brainer compared to any other choice.
If I’m not convinced I’ll resell it, it’s not like I need to put 450€ in a new one and sell it for 70% of the price one month after if I’m not convinced :)
The speculat verb : I’ll check it, didn’t know about it neither...
Thanks for the answers guys.

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:16 pm

Could you stretch to an Oto Bam? Pedal, goes well with synths, does long ambient stuff really well, and the plate is good for percussion.

vadimred13
Common Wiggler

Post by vadimred13 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:13 pm

+1 for Big Sky. I'm not as crazy about other Strymon pedals, though I still like them. Eventide Space and Empress Reverb both seem interesting too. For level conversion, I use this guy. $50 seems reasonable.

tvh
Common Wiggler

Post by tvh » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:49 am

Was kind of in the same boat as I used to have a Space, it sounded nice but rather complicated for me. My guitar board has an Ocean's 11 which like set-it-and-forget-it so I just wanted to go with another 'simple' pedal for my synths.

I recently picked up a Neunaber Immerse MkII and I am very pleased with the purchase. It has some delay or modulation settings, all the reverb types sound good but I just found myself going back to the Wet setting. It sounds incredible without being too shimmer-y, if that makes sense. This pedal is stereo, I have so far just tested on a rhodes suitcase.

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:25 am

According to Benn Jordan, who seems very knowledgeable on the effect, the best reverb around is by Empress with the GFI Specular Tempus right behind. From your list, the Ventris and the Meris seem really up there, very high end effects (though the endless button tapping on the Meris can be a bit of a pain, especially live - I have their Ottobit and, frankly, always forget to push or pull some button or other - but a piece of cake if compared to modular insanity, something like the Morphogene where I never really know what I'm doing.....).

The only one in your list I would probably have some doubts would be the Ocean 11. EHX stuff is fun, but not always up to task (though must confess that I never used their reverb)

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:30 pm

Super cool feedbacks thanks!
Well I got the Nova reverb used for 80€.. looks like a good price for value. I watched Ben Jordan videos but I’m not sure to hear any difference between the empress and the specular tempus or other high end verbs. Maybe YouTube.
These pedals are damn expensive too.. ultimately not blocking if I’m not happy with the NR-1 I’ll raise the price tag but let’s give it a chance, it was quite appreciated apparently.
The passive preamp sounds like an option for level conversion but it’s one more gear... and I find it hard to justify only for a verb. I have no other stuff that needs it.
Let’s see.
Don’t bother with more replies, I think I’m covered for now :)
(This forum is amazing!)

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:56 pm

I have the Nova Reverb and it is always connected to the outputs of my eurorack system. My chain is Eurorack->Nova Reverb->Line6 DL4. I really like the spring algorithms in the Nova; most of the time I just use the vintage spring algo. The other algorithms are also good. The Dynamix setting can lead to interesting results. The quality is similar to my Lexicon MPX-100 and MPX-500, only not as tweakable as the MPX-500.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:56 pm

cool to hear, eager to try it :)
I realise that it doesn't have an expression pedal input though, it would have been cool.

Claude
Common Wiggler

Post by Claude » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:15 pm

I like the Nova very much as a simple, hifi end of chain reverb for live performances and tracking. It is the fancier forrunner to the TC HOF which replaced it, providing a more affordable 9V pedal for guitarists. It's not a modern instant-ambient-album modulated reverb pedal, but I wasn't looking for that. Already have Clouds. Please post your impressions, would love to hear!

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:12 pm

I finally settled on the Neunaber Immerse. Besides the sound the main deciding factors were no menus, no dual-function knobs, no computer app, no hidden functions.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:01 am

Gave the NR-1 a try with synth.
Wraps nicely the sounds used as aux send, will play its role.
Nothing too crazy, more like regular verbs, nothing reaaaally long or on the opposite super short but still a good taste of both.
It sound good and rather clean, fine for my initial purpose.
I like the hand-on approach, very simple to use we can switch quickly the algos and it keeps in memroy the last used in each section which is cool.
Looks also very solid.
I might get their nova delay actually, will surely pair nicely :)

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:12 am

Surprised the Bam isn’t getting more of a mention - price tag is on the steep side, but amazing quality. I had a Ventris but sold it - it sounded good though.

I would love to try that new Chase Bliss / Merris pedal.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:05 pm

tvh wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:49 am
Was kind of in the same boat as I used to have a Space, it sounded nice but rather complicated for me. My guitar board has an Ocean's 11 which like set-it-and-forget-it so I just wanted to go with another 'simple' pedal for my synths.

I recently picked up a Neunaber Immerse MkII and I am very pleased with the purchase. It has some delay or modulation settings, all the reverb types sound good but I just found myself going back to the Wet setting. It sounds incredible without being too shimmer-y, if that makes sense. This pedal is stereo, I have so far just tested on a rhodes suitcase.
Space is more of a mixing technician's box, IMO. I mean I guess it's fine on a pedlaboard or whatever, but it's somehow sad to have however many algos and then you only use 1 or maybe 3 while playing your guitar.

The Immerse / WET algos are awesome for ambient. You can get a Stereo Wet for nothing ($150 maybe less). Great pedals, just don't come looking for "realistic spaces".
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Claude
Common Wiggler

Post by Claude » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:54 am

Whew, glad the Nova Reverb is working for you. I think it's quite a high quality device for utility/vanilla reverb. Based on it's quality and being similarly overlooked, I too have been considering the Nova Delay, lol! The newish Eventide Space looks promising, to solve some minor short comings of my partners use of the EQD Transmisser as an effects/aux send/return on her mixer.

Still, the Nova Reverb is a a very good deal IMO. Enjoy!

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:55 am

Yes it's a good stereo vanilla verb :)
Especially for the price I paid I think it was a good bargain :)
I am quite happy with the feelings I get at lower mix of the reverb, sounds quite large and wraps nicely the sounds. The short verbs are not plenty but very useable.
I will surely get another reverb, probably mono as insert this time, for more creative purposes, with expression pedal input and stuff like that.

I was actually looking at the transmisser among others, any feedback about it?
I feared that the resonance becomes a bit annoying / too present / too specific at some point, how do you use it and are you happy?

Guitar pedals seem to be addictive too, I can see so many i'd like to have, damned ! :lol:

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:09 am

I'm loving the Poly Digit/Beebo
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

Claude
Common Wiggler

Post by Claude » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:59 am

The Transmisser is discontinued, but certainly available used. If you check out the Knobs or Pedal Zone videos for it you'll have a very good idea about it. Similar pedals might be the Old Blood Noise Endeavours Dark Star and maybe the Eventide Blackhole.

My partner, Ola, uses the Transmisser in an aux send on her main mixer, mostly to process her voice, though it sounds cool on everything. I wish, from a pedantic technical perspective, that it had a line level option, more tone controls, and a dry kill option (although, come on, it's SUPER wet, really). Those points aside, it's awesome, and is pretty darn perfect, though not necessarily versatile. Not sure I would like the Blackhole more, though it probably is more versatile. Will probably wait for them to become well established on the used market to try one.

The Oto devices are, without a doubt, awesome, but for that money I would rather have the option of living well on tour, when such things become possible again. Of course, a balance must be struck and everyone's circumstances and goals are unique. Definitely agree, though, that guitar pedals are awesome, particularly in the reverb and delay world!

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”