what is your favorite amp?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

tthogs
Common Wiggler

Post by tthogs » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:01 pm

My modded blues jr 3s. Stereo rig ftw!

justintonation
Common Wiggler

Post by justintonation » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:18 am

Very happy with my 65' Fender Deluxe Reverb.
I have tried twins but there is something about the more focused sound coming from a single speaker that I like.

Willowhaus
Common Wiggler

Post by Willowhaus » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:11 pm

I have a Trinity Tramp that I built from a kit a few years ago - based around a single octal tube, I have it set up so I can switch between EL34, 6L6, 6V6, etc - I tend to go with a KT66 usually, which gives a nice strong rock vibe. A little hard to keep up with half stacks, but I've always preferred small amps anyway.

Other than that, I recently had a Vox AC15 that I really liked, once I paired it with a treble booster. I let that one go, but only because I had other priorities and figured that it was replaceable.

Hiwatt Bob
Common Wiggler

Post by Hiwatt Bob » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:25 pm

wattz my muthafuckin name?

esko997
Common Wiggler

Post by esko997 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Hiwatt Bob wrote:wattz my muthafuckin name?
Was gonna say, my favorite is probably the Jimmy Page Custom-100 Hiwatt.

The favorite that I own is the Hughes&Kettner Tubemeister 36.

pitri
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pitri » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:24 am

Kitty Hawk Junior with G12M-70 speaker
or PSA Sansamp 1.1 into a mesa 50/50

nnamesor
Common Wiggler

Post by nnamesor » Tue May 03, 2016 8:40 am

Another vote for the Swart AST (Pro) - beautiful reverb and tremolo . . .

peaches27
Common Wiggler

Post by peaches27 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:37 am

I have this ridiculous love for the Fender Excelsior, sound so great, especially for the price point. One in brown, one in white for stereo

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon May 09, 2016 1:06 pm

peaches27 wrote:I have this ridiculous love for the Fender Excelsior, sound so great, especially for the price point. One in brown, one in white for stereo
If ones brown and ones white then it's not stereo. Haha.

peaches27
Common Wiggler

Post by peaches27 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:28 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
peaches27 wrote:I have this ridiculous love for the Fender Excelsior, sound so great, especially for the price point. One in brown, one in white for stereo
If ones brown and ones white then it's not stereo. Haha.
Yeah I guess you're right, could be a phasing issue?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon May 09, 2016 3:29 pm

That was a shitty joke. Haha because they're different colors. I've toyed around with two amp setups. It's pretty neat.

peaches27
Common Wiggler

Post by peaches27 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:07 am

Haha, I feel like my joke was shittier.

But yah, two amps is fun as heck, only drawback is trying to gig with that setup.

Zube
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zube » Tue May 10, 2016 7:18 am

My favorite? My 70's silverface twin, custom modded by its original owner with a Fender Dimension oil can (Tel Ray) hard wired and two beast JBL speakers. It's a special sounding amp.

peaches27
Common Wiggler

Post by peaches27 » Tue May 10, 2016 12:16 pm

Zube wrote:My favorite? My 70's silverface twin, custom modded by its original owner with a Fender Dimension oil can (Tel Ray) hard wired and two beast JBL speakers. It's a special sounding amp.
So much yes. I adore my Silverface twin. Crap, I may have to reevaluate my previous comment on this thread.

GraysonJames
Common Wiggler

Post by GraysonJames » Fri May 27, 2016 12:19 pm

I've played just about every boutique and expensive ass amp out there. I've found that it's hard to beat an AC30. Although the Benson Monarch sounds incredible

IstvanM
Common Wiggler

Post by IstvanM » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Been playing through a Mesa TA-30 for the past year and a half as my gigging amp. Has a really versatile range of tones, one side is an american flavor that goes from really convincing blackface tones to nice classic hi-gain Mesa tones. The other side is an obvious AC-30 deign, and sounds the part. Solid too

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:07 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
booger wrote:Does anyone have any opinions on the Fender Blues, Jr? I'm getting an electric guitar (after 20 years of no guitars) and figure I'm going to need something to practice on. The Blues Jr. seems to be the cheapest contender with the specs I want (tubes, reverb). Is this a good amp?
I've tried a few out in the shops. They seem pretty popular and certainly not a bad amp, especially if you want it just for practice. Takes pedals well. Low wattage.

I used to own a Blues Deluxe Reissue, which you could find in a similar price range used. Also a good amp. It's loud as hell though, I ended up putting an attenuator in the FX loop to reel it in. It (along with other Fender amps I believe) does this thing where it's incredibly quiet til about 2, and then there's a huge volume spike. There are mods to address this. I just opted for the attenuator.
I ended up with a Peavey Classic 30. It's a nice sounding amp (and everything I wanted) but it also seems to go from quiet to screaming loud in under an 1/8 of a turn. I noticed that hooking my Big Sky up to the effects loop seems to tame the volume a bit and make it playable (without having my wife telling me to turn it down). What attenuator would work best to get this beastie under control (without having to always rely on my BS)?

blungo2
wiggly wiggler

Post by blungo2 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:16 pm

Audio Kitchen Big Trees, 2.5 watts of blazing el 84 fury! my favorite amp ever.

Logite
Common Wiggler

Post by Logite » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Boutique amps, handwired amps with a good design I eat that shit up haha

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:43 am

Thinking about buying a custom 12" tweed Deluxe cab and Princeton amp & chassis kit from Mojotone, and adding a Weber 12A125A speaker. Should be a nice bastard offspring of Tweed Princeton and Deluxe sound, and I should learn a lot building it. Will also be able to save about half on what a similarly specced off the shelf amp would cost.

http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Cabi ... er-Cabinet

http://www.mojotone.com/kits/TweedAmpKi ... le-Amp-Kit

http://www.tedweber.com/12a125-a

Standup
Common Wiggler

Post by Standup » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:25 am

My favorite amp is a mutant I put together. I bought a blackface showman head many years ago when they were cheap and used it as a bass head for a long time.

Later I built it into an open back combo cabinet with a 15" (Weber blue dog). I didn't need 100 watts, so pulled two tubes and replaced the remaining two with "yellow jacket" adapters for el84s (the speaker is 16 ohm which theoretically should make things easy for the transformer).

So now it's more like 15 watts and still loud as hell. The tone is tilted away from straight Fender, toward Vox, but it sounds great. I run it clean, use pedals for dirt. Too loud to crank for crunch in my small space.

Zon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:45 pm

Roland JC!
A wanderer in the desert, a merchant offering his wares.

dlozanothornton
Common Wiggler

Post by dlozanothornton » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:34 am

recently got a used Swart STR Tweed, the best amp I've ever played/owned, so quiet, so clean, such nice overdrive and reverb especially when pushed. Extremely loud too!
Yesterday I replaced the 12AX7 and chucked the old one into a Fender Greta I'm borrowing, it makes the greta a little more responsive and really really fun.
Two incredible amps in my life right now..

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:10 pm

I picked up a Fender Bassbreaker 15 last week and I'm quite enjoying it. I'm favouring the low and mid-gain structures more than the high gain one, but that might change if I try it with more than one guitar. It pairs beautifully with a DOD 250 preamp to clobber the front end as well, and the reverb has the right balance between length and tone.

15 watts can achieve stupidly obnoxious levels of loudness when pushed too. I don't think I've had it above 3 on the master volume unless the gain was set to 2 or 3 as well.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:37 pm

booger wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:
booger wrote:Does anyone have any opinions on the Fender Blues, Jr? I'm getting an electric guitar (after 20 years of no guitars) and figure I'm going to need something to practice on. The Blues Jr. seems to be the cheapest contender with the specs I want (tubes, reverb). Is this a good amp?
I've tried a few out in the shops. They seem pretty popular and certainly not a bad amp, especially if you want it just for practice. Takes pedals well. Low wattage.

I used to own a Blues Deluxe Reissue, which you could find in a similar price range used. Also a good amp. It's loud as hell though, I ended up putting an attenuator in the FX loop to reel it in. It (along with other Fender amps I believe) does this thing where it's incredibly quiet til about 2, and then there's a huge volume spike. There are mods to address this. I just opted for the attenuator.
I ended up with a Peavey Classic 30. It's a nice sounding amp (and everything I wanted) but it also seems to go from quiet to screaming loud in under an 1/8 of a turn. I noticed that hooking my Big Sky up to the effects loop seems to tame the volume a bit and make it playable (without having my wife telling me to turn it down). What attenuator would work best to get this beastie under control (without having to always rely on my BS)?
Shit, sorry. I totally missed this. I use this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Rod-Deluxe- ... 1549209528

It was cheap and it does the job without totally sucking out the tone. There are probably better ones out there, but this one did the job for $30.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”