what is your favorite amp?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:53 pm

Finalising the details of a custom tube guitar amp with a builder in the UK (see link). I decided to pay someone else to put it together because I don't trust my soldering or 'troubleshooting very high voltage tube circuit' skills... :) Probably gonna end up being the bastard offspring of a Fender Tweed/Blackface Champ/Vibrochamp/Princeton/Princeton Reverb/Deluxe. Will be a lacquered Tweed combo cab with a 12" speaker. Haven't decided on spring reverb yet, price will dictate, but it'll definitely have Vibrato (actually it's Tremolo, but let's not go there...), an FX loop for the Eventide H9, and have very low noise. Should do the gorgeous classic Fender clean and chimeys at room/recording volume exceptionally well!

Been very tempted by a lot of the modern, off the shelf, made in China tube amps, especially on price, but none of them seem to have a tube rectifier, which I believe is a big part of that vintage compressed/touch sensitive tube tone.

http://vyseamps.com/

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:20 am

Weber 12A125A speaker arrived this week, amp will ship next, so excited!

Custom AB763 blackface Deluxe Reverb circuit with a few additions and mods, e.g. Tremelo is from Princeton, optimised for low noise, has added Mid EQ and Master Volume controls, FX Send/Rtn Loop, Line Out, NFB switch (for more of a Tweed sound) etc. Nine tubes in total.

construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:47 am

9 tubes!?
Nice looking build

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:00 pm

Yep, regular Fender Deluxe Reverb has nine too, although I'm doing without the first channel, so I think the extra tube on mine is for the FX send and return.

strangeonlooker
Common Wiggler

Post by strangeonlooker » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:31 am

After having it for awhile, I'll say the 1970s Twin Reverb I have is probably the only guitar amp I'll ever need....it is the voice of God!

Bonefish67
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bonefish67 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:19 am

just got this tweed bassman circuit from a friend of mine. once I'm done mod'ing it it could be my new favorite...stoked. it would have to be something special to knock off my 57 5e8 LPT though......

and these babies were inside but then went straight to my phono preamp...ooooh yeeeah........ #telefunkengoodness

jayfet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jayfet » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:52 pm

What are you using for the reverb tank? Ive been toying wih the idea of building a black face deluxe reverb clone for years, but i feel you on the troubleshooting tube voltages thing. That said, that amp looks great and i kinda want one of my own now.

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:30 am

Not my build, Vyse Amps in the UK are putting it together for me. No idea what reverb tank they are using. I was researching a bit the other day, seems Accutronics got bought oput by a Chinese company and now are all made over there and sound different from the old ones.

MaxPower
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MaxPower » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:58 pm

I still love and play my only Fender amp: a Princeton reverb reissue. It has such a nice tone and sag for me. Although I always wanted to try an old fender amp.
I really like some of the custom stuff that some of you are building here.

Just me
Has enough VCA's

Post by Just me » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:44 pm

MaxPower wrote:I still love and play my only Fender amp: a Princeton reverb reissue. It has such a nice tone and sag for me. Although I always wanted to try an old fender amp.
I really like some of the custom stuff that some of you are building here.
It may seem like sacrilege to say it, but the reissue PR are actually very good sounding and true to the originals in tone. They are, however not physically near as robust as the original amps. I have had or modified many silverface and some blackface amps back when they were new. It was so funny that then, so many people didn't like the sound of their amps and wanted them modified. I spent quite a bit of time in the last year's restoring some back to original for those same people.
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

MaxPower
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MaxPower » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:20 pm

I'm not gigging so the reliability is not a problem for me fortunately.
Just me wrote:It was so funny that then, so many people didn't like the sound of their amps and wanted them modified.
What modifications did you do to these amps?

The only negative thing I've found so far is a nasty vibration sound on louder volumes. I do not play loud often but someday I will have to get this fixed.

cram1960
Common Wiggler

Post by cram1960 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:32 pm

My favorites:
Bogner Shiva - EL34 head into 2x12 cab
Fender Vibrolux Reverb - 2x10
Fender Blues Deluxe (original) 1x12

billyk419
Veteran Wiggler

Post by billyk419 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:45 pm

Fender Twin Reverb 2x12...amazing clean tones

Really loved my Mesa Blue Angel but the noise floor was crazy loud.
"If it sounds good, it IS good." ~Duke Ellington

Case

FS/FT

Escapegoat
Common Wiggler

Post by Escapegoat » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:21 pm

My favourites:
Guytron GT-100
Tweed Deluxe
Marshall 18W

rkilman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rkilman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:35 pm

Fender Princeton Reverb II is my fav :tu: Pairs nice with a Wurly 200A.

Crowyote
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Crowyote » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:04 am

Loving my Bogner Duende Seco Mojado head for about 99% of stuff. It has a line out, plus I run both heads through attenuators . . .so 3 outputs in all besides the stereo speaker output.

I sold my Bogner Mephisto a few weeks back . . .still kicking myself for it. The pentode compression from the EL84 channel was killer.

When I can get myself up and running I'm going to be looking for a small (and affordable) 5879 based circuit that preferably has EL84 output tubes, as well.

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:16 am

My amp finally came yesterday, really loving it so far, sounds incredible. Very, very happy!

Just me
Has enough VCA's

Post by Just me » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:33 pm

MaxPower wrote:I'm not gigging so the reliability is not a problem for me fortunately.
Just me wrote:It was so funny that then, so many people didn't like the sound of their amps and wanted them modified.
What modifications did you do to these amps?

The only negative thing I've found so far is a nasty vibration sound on louder volumes. I do not play loud often but someday I will have to get this fixed.
Added push/pull knobs to control extra gain stages added to the chassis. changed the tone stacks.
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

p.j.
Common Wiggler

Post by p.j. » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:03 am

I think my favorite amp is a Vox AC15 or AC30. They sound good and can do what I need them to do. My THD Univalve is my favorite studio amp because you can use different tubes and it is really versatile.

cram1960
Common Wiggler

Post by cram1960 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:18 pm

I fall in and out of love all the time.

At one time

early 1970's SF Twin Reverb (no master) then,

Bogner Shiva EL34

now I really want a BF Vibrolux Reverb...I think THAT will be IT!

Mr. Mulcahy
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Mulcahy » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:31 pm

Parallel single ended amps tend to do it for me. I like single ended amps in general due to the lush harmonic content but in parallel you can get more volume and if gain staged correctly a generous amount for playing out live.

Common Wiggler

Post by 565 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:01 pm

Played a 70's Fender Bassman Ten (4x10 combo) for a long time, which is like a poor man's Super Reverb, without the reverb. Or the super for that matter. Typical 70s CBS-era Fender; skimped on the speakers (crappy CTS 32ohm!), wimpy output transformer.

So I needed something with more oomph, got a late 70s Marshall JMP and 4x12. Didn't like the extreme directionality of the 4x12, (not to mention lugging it up stairs) and figured I needed an open back combo, but still wanted 80-100 watts.

Twin Reverbs never did it for me, so I built a high-powered Fender Tweed Twin (5F8-A) kit from Weber. Think tweed Bassman but with 4 6L6s (~80 watts) and two 12s. Ended up replacing the output transformer with a Mercury Magnetics after the original developed a short, and replaced the cardboard circuit board with phenolic + turrets. That thing roared. Best. Amp. Ever. Loved pedals. A clean boost pushed it into thick raw distortion. Way way way too loud. But glorious.

Later I, pulled that old Bassman Ten out of it's dumb, top-heavy 4x10 cab and put it in a 1x15 combo cab with a Weber California 15 (like a JBL, but with a paper dome), replaced the wimpy OT with a Showman OT, re-did the tonestack (1 channel blackface, the other like brownface), and a bunch of other little tweaks. That amp is now my second favorite amp of all time.

Of course, now that I am old, and not a gigging rock musician, I sit here with my headphones on making bleep bloop noises on my modular synthesizer that no one will ever hear. And my glorious amps sit in the corner gathering dust.
:rip: :guinness: :deadbanana:

construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:08 pm

Later I, pulled that old Bassman Ten out of it's dumb, top-heavy 4x10 cab and put it in a 1x15 combo cab with a Weber California 15 (like a JBL, but with a paper dome), replaced the wimpy OT with a Showman OT, re-did the tonestack (1 channel blackface, the other like brownface), and a bunch of other little tweaks. That amp is now my second favorite amp of all time.

I,d like to do this with my 65 Blackface Bassman head, would you recommend the Weber 15" 565?

Common Wiggler

Post by 565 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:56 pm

It's been a few years, and I haven't kept up with the guitar world, but all the Weber speakers I've played were great.

mookmoof
Common Wiggler

Post by mookmoof » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:08 am

fender princeton reverb
runner up vox ac30

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”