what is your favorite amp?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

bgcriswell
Common Wiggler

Post by bgcriswell » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:04 pm

For guitar it would have to be my blackface deluxe reverb. That thing always sounds great and I've played many gigs without any problems. For practice and smaller gigs, it would have to be my Princeton reverb. The runner up would be the mesa lone star. Sounds great great and has tons of tonal options but it's heavy and loud. These are all being fed with a Gibson 335.

For Bass, my Orange ad200b has never let me down. I've played hundreds of gigs with that amp. I've tried about every Bass amp there is and just keep coming back to the orange. There just something about the warmth and punch that nothing else quite matches. For practice, I usually use an old Guild thunderstar. It's only 50 watts but at low volume I just love the tone of that amp. Modular also sounds great through the thunderstar.

pwilson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pwilson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:27 am

Mesa Boogie Studio 22

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:50 pm

This little fucker, because it sounds great and I don't need to see a chiropractor after I take it somewhere...

Last edited by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom is wasted on the Free

Skaput
Common Wiggler

Post by Skaput » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:39 pm

I love these amps , I've had the Bass Sessionette 100 - since about 1987 , but just added the Sessionette 75- guitar cab this week. :bananaguitar:

made in Hampshire England , by a company founded by Stewart Ward.

Award Session

MrTurboparrot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrTurboparrot » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:43 pm

bgcriswell wrote:For guitar it would have to be my blackface deluxe reverb. That thing always sounds great and I've played many gigs without any problems. For practice and smaller gigs, it would have to be my Princeton reverb. The runner up would be the mesa lone star. Sounds great great and has tons of tonal options but it's heavy and loud. These are all being fed with a Gibson 335.
Princeton reverb - head and shoulders above most amps i've played... which is many. Gritty overdrive, and huge amounts of bass for the size. It's a giant killer... and oh yeah, spring reverb (tube) and tremolo built-in.

Classic
"You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven." Jimi Hendrix

Yodhan
Common Wiggler

Post by Yodhan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:54 pm

AC30s and AC15s are always at the top of my list. Twin Reverbs for clean can always make me happy. I have a small soft spot for JCM800s modded with KT88s too.
My rig: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/376480
Behringer Neutron, Behringer Model D, Arturia Microbrute
Tascam 424mkii
Reason for effects and recording

fredguy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fredguy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Only thing in the house older than me.

"I drink gin, and once, when drinking gin, I made a large man cry." Bill Murray

casterbro
Common Wiggler

Post by casterbro » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:18 am

My good old 66' Ampeg B15N is the best bass amp I've ever had and really nice with synths but it sucks with guitars!

hairychris
Common Wiggler

Post by hairychris » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:15 pm

I've been running a Diezel Einstein for years, sounds great and has simple enough controls for an idiot like me.

Not found a perfect bass rig. I'm running a lightweight setup so there are some compromises.

hex
Common Wiggler

Post by hex » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:27 pm

Picked up a 1980 Marshall JMP 2203 and a 70's 4x12 w/Blackbacks. I really dig it and I don't feel like I need anything else. Slap an overdrive in front for rock or an HM-2 for metal.

zlotan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zlotan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:11 pm

right now i love my 70ties orange or80... just watching it is awesome... but how it sounds...arrr
i feed anything trough it bass, guitar, synth... :bananaguitar:

zlotan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zlotan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:28 pm

the beast!

moylando
Common Wiggler

Post by moylando » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Blackface or early silverface Fender Super Reverb.

smitty.west
Common Wiggler

Post by smitty.west » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:21 am

Matchless DC-30 or Blackface Super Reverb.

fuzzonaut
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fuzzonaut » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:36 am

200s "clone"

Hiwatt Bob
Common Wiggler

Post by Hiwatt Bob » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:43 pm

'59 Deluxe

'72 Hiwatt DR504
Old Skool Fap

controlFreak
Common Wiggler

Post by controlFreak » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:29 pm

I wish I could play well enough to justify having more than one amp at once.

I dig the fender twin for clean bell like tones.

Cowabunga-man
Common Wiggler

Post by Cowabunga-man » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Yodhan wrote:AC30s and AC15s are always at the top of my list. Twin Reverbs for clean can always make me happy. I have a small soft spot for JCM800s modded with KT88s too.
agree

but depends on what u put in the amp of course. my jazzmaster sounds great in ac30. never got it to do what i wanted in the twin reverb.
my limited experience (based on how I want my JM too sing): fender instrument + fender amp = a bit too revealing.

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:47 am

Cowabunga-man wrote:my limited experience (based on how I want my JM too sing): fender instrument + fender amp = a bit too revealing.
:hmm: hmm, that's an interesting thought Cowabunga-man (revealing in what ways?).... i'm going to be playing a jm with blackface super-reverb that has had it's 4 x 10" speakers replaced with a single 15" jensen p15q from the 1950s soon. we'll see how that goes....

cheers
“i'm telling you my dear that it can't happen here because i've been checking it out. i've been checking it out for a couple of days...”

Cowabunga-man
Common Wiggler

Post by Cowabunga-man » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:37 am

numan7
Well, my Jazzmaster is a bit twangy and lacks some sustain, common JM qualities I guess. This bright and not that middly "twang" character has been too revealed in most fender amps that I've played.
IMO it has sounded at its best in a slightly overdriven vox AC30, wich is has a bit more mids and less highs than most fenders. Not sure but most fenders has also sounded more dynamic (slightly nicer?) with a more nuanced attack than the ac30. I have a cc2 with original elements, wich I know gets a lot of shit thrown on it, but I love the way my JM sounds through this somewhat muddy amp.

This is only my humble opinion and I bet there are ALOT of people who has had much better and different experiences with fender guitars in fender amps :)

Cowabunga-man
Common Wiggler

Post by Cowabunga-man » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:45 am

numan7
ps that sounds like a cool combination. I once had a fender 300ps (bass/guitar amp) with a 15" (fender I think) speaker. Back then I played noise-rock a la arab on radar and it worked well for me. It could get very loud, intimidating and bassy but also very clear and "jazzy". But I think a super reverb will sound much nicer than a 300ps, wich is more of a bass amp..

DubRules
Common Wiggler

Post by DubRules » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:51 pm

The Peavey Classic series from the early 90s is great. The Classic 30, 50 and Blues Classic sound and look fantastic. They can be found cheap on Craigslist often and with their 4x10 and 1x15 configurations, they are worth every penny. Maybe not my favorite, but all around top of my list.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun May 28, 2017 6:31 pm

I just snagged an Orange Rockerverb 50 mk II from a fellow wiggler and I have to say, I LOVE it. It's sparked my interest in guitar again. I also just found this on Reverb:

It's a drip edge Showman Reverb. I'm not 100% on the year, I think it's a 1968 with the AB763 circuit, but I have the seller dropping it off to service the tremolo circuit and I'll get more info on the innards from the shop. I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, but I'll be heading up to Baltimore to get it in the next couple weeks. I suspect this will quickly become my new favorite.

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Sun May 28, 2017 9:24 pm

Sinamsis

that is killer! I've been thinking of a showman reverb lately...
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun May 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks man! Will post with updates when I pick it up. Just had a baby, so I don't think I'll be using the cabinet much yet. I'll be running it into a load box with a cab sim plugin (I've been running the Rockerverb like this and it sounds fantastic actually). I was looking for something powerful, clean, and with the Fender sparkle. The price for the head and original amp was just too good to pass up ($900 for the pair), when it seems most comparable heads go for over $1000 these days, if not more. Also, I've been reading up on how to accurately date the amps of this era and it is fascinating/mind boggling. Trying to accurately date this amp has become a challenge for me. The drip edge, serial number and tube chart help somewhat (though I've read Fender's of this era often had the wrong tube chart). The weird thing is the grill cloth looks more like what you'd see on a blackface then a silver face, but I could be wrong. I'll know more once it gets to the shop. I don't think it's been modified, but I'll have the repair guys confirm. More to come!

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”