Any love for Chase Bliss Audio pedals?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

User avatar
Fidgit
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:28 am

Any love for Chase Bliss Audio pedals?

Post by Fidgit » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:01 am

are you guys familiar with these pedals?

Image

http://chaseblissaudio.com/

User avatar
smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1247
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: On the Coast of the Americas

Post by smetak » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:02 pm

Bought the Warped Vinyl MKII - but still in the box (a rather nice, wooden box I may add) - still too intimidated (i.e., lazy) to figure all the ins and outs of this thing! This is one piece of very sophisticated equipment. With all the options given by the dip switches, this doesn't seem like a "plug & play" toy - far from it.

Hopefully, will get around to it in the next few days.
Last edited by smetak on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Crandall1
KAAAAAAAAAAHHHNN!!!!
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Sandland

Post by Crandall1 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:32 pm

Fucking bizarre. I _just_ read this over on The Gear Page:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... r.1599674/

Then came over here to see if there was any talk about it.

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3055
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Post by tuj » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:14 am

Huge love for them. The WV sounds quite beautiful, does the BoC warble pitch thing really well. The WT is lush and while I'm not that picky about phasers usually, this one offers so many controls that you can get a TON of sounds out of it.

Both of those pedals are awesome, will soon be picking up the Gravitas.

User avatar
Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3437
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:52 am
Location: Berlin

Post by Hainbach » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:00 am

I love the warped vinyl and will get more Chase Bliss, that's for sure. The Warped Vinyl is a good distortion, too, when hit with modular levels.

In this rehearsal the main modular lines are conservativly run through the WV all the time. It adds a certain liveliness and animation, making the sound more real, for me at least:

http://soundcloud.com/hainbach/rehearsal-081215

User avatar
Al
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:48 am
Location: Illinois, USA

Post by Al » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:51 am

I use a Wombtone and it is good for getting rhythmic phaser patterns. My only complaint is that the external tap tempo does not go slow enough. I use gates from my modular to control the tempo....

User avatar
Fidgit
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:28 am

Post by Fidgit » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:55 am

Hainbach wrote:I love the warped vinyl and will get more Chase Bliss, that's for sure. The Warped Vinyl is a good distortion, too, when hit with modular levels.

In this rehearsal the main modular lines are conservativly run through the WV all the time. It adds a certain liveliness and animation, making the sound more real, for me at least:
very nice and tasteful, thank you. less is often more.

I read that the guy (joel korte) who developed the zvex (instant) lo-fi junky is the same as the one who builds these pedals.
I might look a bit closer into it, they seem indeed quite impressive.

User avatar
thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4820
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: East Bay, CA US

Post by thetwlo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:11 am

Hainbach wrote:I love the warped vinyl and will get more Chase Bliss,....
Wow! gorgeous sounds, thanks for the excellent example! much appreciated. :hail:

User avatar
rush340
Common Wiggler
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:32 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by rush340 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Hainbach wrote:I love the warped vinyl and will get more Chase Bliss, that's for sure. The Warped Vinyl is a good distortion, too, when hit with modular levels.
That sounds great!

smitty.west
Common Wiggler
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:35 pm

Post by smitty.west » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:15 pm

my first foray into joel's mad world was via the warped vinyl mk i-- well, technically via the zvex instant lo-fi junky seeing as he designed it, but...-- which i ultimately ended up selling due to its incredibly dark character. i know this was part of the concept, but it was just too much for my use, just as i found the instant lo-fi too compressed even on the lowest setting. anyways, a couple months later i grabbed the warped vinyl mk ii and wombtone mk ii. while the addition of a tone knob (which is always cranked on mine) helped remedy the high end loss a bit, i still find the pedal dark so it mostly sits on a shelf while my vb-2 or diamond vibrato handle vib duties. i'll usually pull it out when i'm after a certain effect. that said, the wombtone mk ii is hands down the best phaser i've ever used. i was never a phaser guy, but this thing is now a mainstay on my board. usually run mine w/ a super slow rate for an incredibly lush sound. love joel's stuff. not too into flangers so the upcoming spectre doesn't interest me much. if i were looking @ a new flanger, my money would be going to the upcoming foxrox tzf 2- biggest regret = letting go of my original tzf (though the obscene amount ($1100) i got for it made the pain lesser). can't wait to see joel's take on an analog delay.

Leviathant
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Post by Leviathant » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:40 am

I hadn't heard of Chase Bliss until last week, when a Warped Vinyl mkI showed up on Craigslist. It had the look of a quality pedal, and in the time it took me to look it up, listen to a demo, and notice the price was a bargain, the listing was gone.

And now I've got a Warped Vinyl mkII in my sights, except I'm on a bit of a spending freeze at the moment.

Zube
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:25 am
Location: Spain

Post by Zube » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:15 am

How does the CV in/ Tap tempo work for people on these (specifically Gravitas)? Very curious about the MIDI implementation too... I looked at the manual online, am I right in thinking you'll have to filter or change eurorack level signals to get this thing synched? I'm in the market for some CV/tap-controllable tremolo, and the Warped Vinyl is awesome; I'm not really finding any videos online which showcase the midi-in or cv-in.

User avatar
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs
Posts: 9140
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: LA

Post by dkcg » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:19 pm

Zube wrote:How does the CV in/ Tap tempo work for people on these (specifically Gravitas)? Very curious about the MIDI implementation too... I looked at the manual online, am I right in thinking you'll have to filter or change eurorack level signals to get this thing synched? I'm in the market for some CV/tap-controllable tremolo, and the Warped Vinyl is awesome; I'm not really finding any videos online which showcase the midi-in or cv-in.
You need the Empress midibox to use his pedals with MIDI. The divisions become midi note divisions when midi is used. I believe the pedal takes 0-3V or so, so you would need to attenuate any CV from the modular. The Warped Vinyl can do a basic triangle tremolo, but you should look at the Gravitas for a tremolo. The midi note divisions don't go very fast, feels like you can get quarter notes and slower, but won't go faster into 8th notes or 16ths.

The midi implementation is rather basic, and needing the midibox makes it kind of a hassle since you end up with more cables and less space on a pedalboard.

I love the WV, the Phaser is cool, feature rich, but It's not my favorite phaser sounds.

I think if you're planning on using it with guitars, the CB pedals are top notch, but if using CVs is high on the list, I would look at the Moogerfooger. The Empress also uses midi with the Midibox, and has some features that the CB doesn't, like envelope follower mode.

But for a "rookie" pedal company, CB is red hot and does fantastic designs and customer service. Joel is awesome. Even sent me a CB t-shirt.

User avatar
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Been hoping that Pedal Genie sends me the Gravitas. Love the stuff. So full.

User avatar
nedavine
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 954
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:02 am
Location: Fukaya Japan
Contact:

Post by nedavine » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:53 am

Just discovered these. Really really want the warped vinyl but it's way out of my budget. Might be able to spring for an instant lo-fi junky (same guy I believe).

The trem pedal sounds amazing too. Wondering how I could recreate that sound in daw or with my modular.

User avatar
Fidgit
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:28 am

Post by Fidgit » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:00 am

glad to see that these get some attention. I think they deserve it. :love:
let's see what the future will bring.

Zube
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:25 am
Location: Spain

Post by Zube » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:26 am

dkcg wrote:
Zube wrote:How does the CV in/ Tap tempo work for people on these (specifically Gravitas)? Very curious about the MIDI implementation too... I looked at the manual online, am I right in thinking you'll have to filter or change eurorack level signals to get this thing synched? I'm in the market for some CV/tap-controllable tremolo, and the Warped Vinyl is awesome; I'm not really finding any videos online which showcase the midi-in or cv-in.
You need the Empress midibox to use his pedals with MIDI. The divisions become midi note divisions when midi is used. I believe the pedal takes 0-3V or so, so you would need to attenuate any CV from the modular. The Warped Vinyl can do a basic triangle tremolo, but you should look at the Gravitas for a tremolo. The midi note divisions don't go very fast, feels like you can get quarter notes and slower, but won't go faster into 8th notes or 16ths.

The midi implementation is rather basic, and needing the midibox makes it kind of a hassle since you end up with more cables and less space on a pedalboard.

I love the WV, the Phaser is cool, feature rich, but It's not my favorite phaser sounds.

I think if you're planning on using it with guitars, the CB pedals are top notch, but if using CVs is high on the list, I would look at the Moogerfooger. The Empress also uses midi with the Midibox, and has some features that the CB doesn't, like envelope follower mode.

But for a "rookie" pedal company, CB is red hot and does fantastic designs and customer service. Joel is awesome. Even sent me a CB t-shirt.

Thanks so much this helps a lot!

User avatar
thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4820
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: East Bay, CA US

Post by thetwlo » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:11 pm

that demo of the Warped Vinyl II really reminded me of Vincent Gallo's "When" album.
[video][/video]
[video][/video]

anyway, got mine last week, seems great, really wish it had stereo out like the EHX Ambitron. Still great! loving it.

Something like the new AD Dimensions might be similar, but I haven't found anything that sounds like those old SAD / Reticon chips. Warped Vinyl doesn't either, still very nice.

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3055
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Post by tuj » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:02 pm

jahsoul wrote:Been hoping that Pedal Genie sends me the Gravitas. Love the stuff. So full.
we have all 3 of the chase bliss pedals in stock at Stomp.club...

User avatar
StringEmil
Common Wiggler
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:44 am
Location: Volda, Norway

Post by StringEmil » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:02 pm

I had the WV v1 which I sold.
Will definitely get the 2 and Gravitas!

Have never seen anything like it in any other pedal or brand.

User avatar
branbolio
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Post by branbolio » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:22 pm

i have the WV and didn't care much for it some reason i felt the moogerfoogers were better analog pedal devices for me... however an analog delay from the would probably win me over

User avatar
Kent
Large Member
Posts: 11700
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post by Kent » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:37 am

This comes across as a strange statement as Moog offers nothing that is like the Warped Vinyl. Which factors were you comparing?
branbolio wrote:i have the WV and didn't care much for it some reason i felt the moogerfoogers were better analog pedal devices for me... however an analog delay from the would probably win me over

User avatar
smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1247
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: On the Coast of the Americas

Post by smetak » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:52 am

Kent wrote:This comes across as a strange statement as Moog offers nothing that is like the Warped Vinyl. Which factors were you comparing?
branbolio wrote:i have the WV and didn't care much for it some reason i felt the moogerfoogers were better analog pedal devices for me... however an analog delay from the would probably win me over
The same here - I'm not acquainted with the Moog pedals, but from the little I know, they don't seem to offer anything even similar to the Warped Vinyl.

Please do elaborate.

User avatar
Kent
Large Member
Posts: 11700
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post by Kent » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:45 am

nedavine wrote:Just discovered these. Really really want the warped vinyl but it's way out of my budget. Might be able to spring for an instant lo-fi junky (same guy I believe).

The trem pedal sounds amazing too. Wondering how I could recreate that sound in daw or with my modular.
Tremolo or warped vinyl sound?

Tremolo is amply catered for with Tremulator and many other plug ins.
Warped vinyl-esque sounds can be replicated with Audio Ease's Speakerphone. There is another plug-in by AirWindows that sounds grand but has a huge amount of latency.

chaseblissaudio
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:05 am
Location: Minnesota, USA

Post by chaseblissaudio » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:59 am

dkcg wrote:
You need the Empress midibox to use his pedals with MIDI. The divisions become midi note divisions when midi is used. I believe the pedal takes 0-3V or so, so you would need to attenuate any CV from the modular. The Warped Vinyl can do a basic triangle tremolo, but you should look at the Gravitas for a tremolo. The midi note divisions don't go very fast, feels like you can get quarter notes and slower, but won't go faster into 8th notes or 16ths.

The midi implementation is rather basic, and needing the midibox makes it kind of a hassle since you end up with more cables and less space on a pedalboard.

I love the WV, the Phaser is cool, feature rich, but It's not my favorite phaser sounds.

I think if you're planning on using it with guitars, the CB pedals are top notch, but if using CVs is high on the list, I would look at the Moogerfooger. The Empress also uses midi with the Midibox, and has some features that the CB doesn't, like envelope follower mode.

But for a "rookie" pedal company, CB is red hot and does fantastic designs and customer service. Joel is awesome. Even sent me a CB t-shirt.
CV is 0 to 5 V. check here for wiring diagram and more info: http://chaseblissaudio.com/cv/ What's cool about my pedals is that you can really get accurate with what you want to control with CV. It doesn't sweep the whole parameter.... just the max CCW or CW range and knob position (top or bottom sweep is selected via dip switch).... so for example if you want to control the RPM (vibrato rate) on Warped Vinyl and want it to go from super fast to kind fast... you'd set the "sweep" dip for "top" and set the RPM knob to something like 1 o'clock. CV will control between knob position and max CW position.

In regards to midi, what other options would you want besides a faster note division? I could easily send you a field programmer that will tweak your firmware for different divisions. I do that sometimes for folks if it is an easy change. I expanded the note divisions quite a bit with the mkII pedals and Gravitas. You can control any parameter with CCs now, and other stuff. Here's vid giving an overview.


Post Reply

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”