any cool solid state guitar amps?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:23 am

Going to try and run my Sunn 18" with this guy (90 bucks. I have only tried it with a 10" so far.):

MoogProDG
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MoogProDG » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:02 pm

Polytone and Roland JC amps are the furthest thing from one another, but both amazing amps.

ninGiaBoom
Common Wiggler

Post by ninGiaBoom » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:46 pm

Another fan of polytone (have a vintage minibrute II here), but a friend of mine uses an AER, a very small one and that's very good and portable...

http://www.aer-amps.com/index.php?optio ... 60&lang=de

I've also used an old marshall JFET, i should still have it somewhere, I wasn't fond of...

Cheers :guinness:

danoverb
1-Post Wiggler

Post by danoverb » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:14 pm

Some people speak very highly of some of the old Rickenbacker solid state amps from the '70s. I believe BB King played one.

Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Isaiah » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:30 am

Anyone have any experience with the Moog-designed Norlin/Gibson Lab Series amps?
I believe Aion Electronics is releasing a PCB for building the Lab Series pre-amp in a stompbox.

lich
Common Wiggler

Post by lich » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:02 pm

i would really recommend any of the solid state sunn bass amplifier heads. they are really amazing. the beta bass is probably the more well known one but the concert bass is really good as well. they both have interesting distortions but can be like incredibly clean (which was good for me when i was using one cause most of my tone was from pedals)

Pase
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pase » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:04 am

Roland Jazz Chorus 120 owner here, I'm a big fan of its clean sound plus chorus, also the reverb sound good to me.
It respond nicely with every pedal too.
But never touch the distortion knob! It's awful!

redacted
Learning to Wiggle

Post by redacted » Mon May 02, 2016 9:36 am

I've been using a Quilter MicroPro 200 for a couple years. It sounds better than any other solid state amp I've heard, and better than many tube amps. Also super lightweight yet very loud. Quilters are not a modeling amps, the sound comes from analog circuitry.

They just announced a new revision of their 200-watt head, ToneBlock 201. Small enough to fit on a pedalboard, or you could mount two side by side in a 2U rack space for a 2 x 200W stereo setup.

miller
1-Post Wiggler

Post by miller » Mon May 02, 2016 1:05 pm

i use a Yamaha Twentyfive 112. I Think it sounds quiet Nice, not As Nice as the jc-120 of cause but it's under a tenth of the Price and it has a relly Nice spring reverb.

Jamnuska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jamnuska » Mon May 02, 2016 9:23 pm

I have a Yamaha TRH10 v2 and I love it. But it is my first amp so I don't know shit.

Squattamolie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Squattamolie » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:04 am

Isaiah wrote:Anyone have any experience with the Moog-designed Norlin/Gibson Lab Series amps?
The Lab amps were awesome! The lead designer was a guy named Dan Pearce, who made his own boutique solid state amps in the mid-late 80s/early 90s, and they are amazing. G2r = front panel DIP switches for optimizing distortion characteristics, 3 FX loops ( a mono loop for each channel and a master stereo loop), on board limiter for the clean channel that makes it just scream (think slightly cranked black face Fender), sweepable midrange wired before the distortion circuitry, 100W a side stereo, packs a hell of a punch. He told me that he futzed for years before getting the damping right on the power amps, so they'd have some "give" to the sound, more like a tube amp, changing as you crank it. It get that sparkling Roland JC sound, but can also make people flat out not believe you when you tell them it's not a tube amp.

IstvanM
Common Wiggler

Post by IstvanM » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:48 pm

Quilter's are quite pleasant sounding for ss. I've been using a Kustom 36 Coupe for a small gigging amp. It's tube, but it's light, has decent volume, and a direct out, which is super useful in live situations. They go for pretty cheap ($400 and under)

Derp
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Derp » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:49 pm

Since this thread has been resurrected, not entirely solid state, but I miss the Marshall Valvestate series. 12AX7 preamps with solidstate power sections. I've heard nothing but bad things about the ATH's, but the 8100 and VS100 were great amps. Instant metal machines. I recorded an album with the VS100's direct out and it was easily my favorite of all the guitar tones I've ever recorded, even unboosted. Paired great with this ratty old Peavey 260C bass amp.
Squattamolie wrote:The Lab amps were awesome! The lead designer was a guy named Dan Pearce, who made his own boutique solid state amps in the mid-late 80s/early 90s, and they are amazing
Thanks for the backstory there. I had a G1R and thought it was awesome. Channel one was busted on mine unfortunately, but channel two was still a lot of fun.

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:21 am

Rath Amp or PCL Vintage Amp which share a common history as Jürgen Rath worked for both.

I have a PCL Vintage Amp Stagemaster 75 which is the "budget" version of their Stagemaster (30/60/120) tops.
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:33 pm

Derp wrote:Best solid state rackable amp imo:
I just sold mine off recently (needed work and I'm just not that handy with a soldering iron) but it was really an interesting piece of gear. Apparently the guy who made these things had this dream of building the greatest solid state guitar amp of all time. ...right as tube amps became popular with guitarists. Mine was busted when I got it so I never got to try channel one (the higher gain channel of the the two) but channel two's cleans were impeccable. With the gain turned up and a Tube Screamer in front of it... :waah:
I used to have the PEarce/Intersound IVP1 which is the preamp verison of that. Piled that on various power amps and was my main bass rig for years.

As far as other solid state amps, the old Sunn solid state amps are fricking awesome. Last couple times I saw the Melvins Buzz was using one of those Coleseum(?) heads. I may have the exact model wrong because, well, I was hgih. But it was certainly that era of solidstate Sunn before the Beta Lead and all that.
Which are also very cool amps. My old band's guitarist had a beta lead combo that did not make you think 'solidstate'.

I also used to work with this one punk/hc band in California. The guitarist guy had one of those Marshall whatever heads, then he got a Crate head and a Marshall pedal ,and it sound better, more consistent and louder.

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:08 pm

Just picked up one of these bad boys!! This thing RIPS the reverb sounds close to an all tube super reverb, it seriously is killer.

I've been running my expandora into it with my esquire and it is just fantastic. I havent seen any traynors around at all, seems like a canadian company from back in the day, pretty cool stuff!

Its a 4x10 40 watt? its a ysr-2 (not my pic)

Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:58 pm

southphillysynths wrote:Just picked up one of these bad boys!! This thing RIPS the reverb sounds close to an all tube super reverb, it seriously is killer.

I've been running my expandora into it with my esquire and it is just fantastic. I havent seen any traynors around at all, seems like a canadian company from back in the day, pretty cool stuff!

Its a 4x10 40 watt? its a ysr-2 (not my pic)

Pretty damn sure that is an all tube amp. Looks like a 60's model?
I've owned several Traynor tube bass heads and a Traynor guitar combo.
For a point to point wired, all tube amp from the 60's-70's they are an excellent deal. Loud as hell and sound great.

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:21 am

I have a Jazz Chorus 160 - everything through it sounds better. The four 10" speakers just have a lovely punchy sound to them. Its noisey, though. Maybe I got to get it fixed up.

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:22 am

calaveras wrote: Pretty damn sure that is an all tube amp. Looks like a 60's model?
I've owned several Traynor tube bass heads and a Traynor guitar combo.
For a point to point wired, all tube amp from the 60's-70's they are an excellent deal. Loud as hell and sound great.
nope! It's solid state! I'm pretty sure its a 68' so maybe they switched them to solid state in the later 60's? not sure, just took it apart to clean pots and dust it today, really nice piece of kit.
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:22 am

That is an outlier than. All of the SS Traynors I've ever seen were grey and had a model name TS-XX. Like the TS15 that some people like to record with.
That combo style just screams tube amp. Especially the 4 chassis bolts on the top. But if you say so :despair:

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:45 am

calaveras wrote:That is an outlier than. All of the SS Traynors I've ever seen were grey and had a model name TS-XX. Like the TS15 that some people like to record with.
That combo style just screams tube amp. Especially the 4 chassis bolts on the top. But if you say so :despair:
yeah really strange, here is a pic of the inside, there is a crumply paper of the schematic inside! I scanned the schematic as well, I couldn't find it online clearly.

WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:58 am

now that is really strange. I've never seen PCBs in a Traynor of that era. I suppose it's natch for a Traynor with transistors. But PCBs on the control knobs?? I'm super puzzled. Most old Traynors that I've owned were turret board wired. Which is to say it's a bunch of wires and resistors and caps all hanging off of a row of terminals in the middle. Very labor intensive!
This must be one of the first SS Traynors?

Now you have me missing my Traynor YBA1a. Which was the best all tube bass head I ever had. 80 watts from two EL34. And sounded like a muscle car.

pulse_divider

Post by pulse_divider » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:03 am

I have that same traynor and yes, it's solid state.
I bought it on eBay 15 years ago thinking it would be tube!

cram1960
Common Wiggler

Post by cram1960 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:29 pm

bryantabuteau wrote:+1 for JC-120, but I'm also a huge fan of the Tech-21 Trademark line of amps. The Trademark 60 is great.
+1 The Tech 21 amps are really underrated for how good they sound.

p.j.
Common Wiggler

Post by p.j. » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:09 am

cram1960 wrote:
bryantabuteau wrote:+1 for JC-120, but I'm also a huge fan of the Tech-21 Trademark line of amps. The Trademark 60 is great.
+1 The Tech 21 amps are really underrated for how good they sound.
The Trademark 60 is a wonderful amp. I had one for a number of years and regret getting rid of it. It sounded fantastic and was lightweight. The clean channel was truly remarkable. I wasn't crazy about the dirty channel.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”