any cool solid state guitar amps?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Danotranto
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Danotranto » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:23 pm

JC120s weigh a lot

Roland made a bunch of JC series amps, you can get a used JC55, JC77 or JC85 for a lot less than a new JC40 on Reverb and they will be manageable, and probably louder than a JC40 if you need some volume.

I think the coolest solid state amp ever is the HH IC100, Marc Bolan used one a lot for his sound.

Vox Super Beatles are very cool too, but $$$$$
There are a bunch of smaller solid state Vox amps from the late 60s that sound pretty cool but are gonna usually have high asking prices
I like the bass. The toms. The sound of the kick drums. I like my radio. Up and not low.

1986Bowler
Common Wiggler

Post by 1986Bowler » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:46 pm

I vote for the JC-40, but then I read about the H&K Black Spirit 200.
Good Lord- what a great time to be alive! They just keep making better and better stuff that has a million features and options.

Been reading many cool things about the Roland amp, and am very intrigued.
My first amp was a solid state- a Yamaha HR-1000. I know- ???

I like a clean tone- I was told that the only amp was a tube amp, but I believe the solid state stuff has a place as well.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:09 pm

Has anyone mentioned the Boss Katana amps yet? Surprisingly great sounding, surprisingly affordable, and they have like a jillion built in effects if you want. Earlier tonight I was thinking that I'd never really gotten a nice, clean, twangy fenderish strat sound with mine yet, so gave it a whirl, and lo and behold, that magical clean JC120 sound is in there! Mine is the plain 100 watt 1x12" version. I hear if you upgrade the speaker they sound tons better.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

widdly
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by widdly » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:32 pm

I recently got a schertler jam 100. It's a bi-amplified acoustic amp but it sounds sweet on my jazz box guitar. It mounts on a PA stand, has a DI out and comes in a bag that I can sling over my shoulder while carrying my guitar case in the other hand.

I find tube amps are way too heavy if you gig out and about. I hate that shoulder torn out of it's socket feeling before you have even started playing.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:33 am

I thought those little Electro Harmonix amps the size of a pedal were pretty cool, and sounded decent. Not sure if they still make them though, and I never saw anyone playing live with one.

Edit: They're the 22-Caliber and 44-Magnum.
The Magnum is still in production apparently.
Last edited by Yes Powder on Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

talfred
Wiggling with Experience

Post by talfred » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:39 am

Electro Harmonixs have also made a new solid state amp now, the Dirt Road Special. It's actually a remake of one of their amps from the 70's, but with reverb instead of tremolo or something. Sounds very good, and it's not too big:

[video][/video]

The reverb is the same as in their Holy Grail Max pedal

p.j.
Common Wiggler

Post by p.j. » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:04 am

blungo2 wrote:Not solid state, but my favorite amp ever is the audio kitchen big trees. IMHO a truly incredible little amp.

On the solid state side the ZT lunchbox is a nice little amp, but nowhere close to as fun as a big trees.

Just my two cents as usual.
The ZT Lunchbox is great for keys and bass as well as guitar.

p.j.
Common Wiggler

Post by p.j. » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:05 am

Tech21 Trademark60 is a great amp. I had mine for a number of years and really dug it. They sound good and are lightweight...win and win.

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:09 am

brown series "Acoustic" (the vintage/old junk ones)

I got a 1x12, found it a garage in an abandoned house, dug it out of a pile of collapsed cabinetry, plugged it in when I got home. 20+ years later. still kicks and never been repair. LOUD AS FUCK!!!! amazing spring verb!!!! and nice built in distortion actually distortion not lead crunch built in!! gnarly zone!
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”