EHX MEL9 - Mellotron pedal

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:51 am

thetwlo wrote:if only had an SD slot, where users could manipulate the "tapes" or add their own!!
that would mean you would have to do coding/programming ...
again: the mel9 doesn't work with samples. plenty of other boxes around that do that if you want to quickly/easily add your own sounds ... but obviously that would work easiest with a midi keyboard controller. getting midi (or cv) from a guitar is (and prob always will be) tricky. you can make it work if your playing technique is good, but a lot of typical guitar tricks go out the window. you need to decide for yourself if that's worth it ... for me the most interesting sounds happen if you combine the synth with the guitar sounds. but then i constantly feel limited by the guitar->midi interface ...
so i went back to adding fx boxes to modify the guitar sound. if i want 'real synth' sounds, i'll play a keyboard or use a modular ...
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:50 am

reviving this tread after the news that ehx has/will come out with a 'synth9' box featuring a bunch of synth-sounds. same principle, i guess, the modeling of the incoming sound: all spin-offs from the hog-project.
i got a C9 in the meantime and it works great. it has the mello-flutes, but strangly the most usefull sound i found is the 'telstar': apparently an old clavioline sound ...
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:51 am

I'm still impressed with the Mel9. I use a Yamaha Reface YC that fits its range. In a mix it is fairly convincing. Good enough for my bad recordings.

I wonder... did that micro digital Mellotron ever come out?

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:55 pm

yeah, i tried the C9 with my old sy-22 and it works great 8-)
i don't care much about 'real' or 'convincing': they're just nice sounds ican work with ....

timmcg
Ultra Wiggler

Post by timmcg » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:17 am

My mind boggles. :bananaguitar:

Just when I told my gal that I'm not in the market for anything other than a few sets of Elixer strings.

I've always been a huge prog rock fan & this sends me over the moon... & no tracking issues. Wow!

Thanks for the hit.

Cheers,

Timothy
System You Need Tweak Heavily, Electronic Signals, Interconnected Zones, Endless Results

http://www.timothymcguinness.com/

https://soundcloud.com/timothy-mcguinness/

https://vimeo.com/timothymcguinness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfPdHO2og8k

(=º.º=)

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:17 am

timmcg wrote:no tracking issues. Wow!
yeah, that is the biggest advantage. even weird sounds (like string-scraping) produce something usefull and not a world of glitches :hihi:

1986Bowler
Common Wiggler

Post by 1986Bowler » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:03 am

My buddy has a Mel9 and let me borrow it.
I had some very fun days playing with it!
Put it on the board when we got on stage for a show- added some real "thickness" to the sound.
I might borrow it to do a gig- not sure if i really want to buy it. He's kind of humming and hawing over selling it.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:44 pm

It's amazing. I just fired it up this last weekend and was amazed how great it can sound. It does depend what it is fed as to how well it tracks, but generally anything can work.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:06 am

MindMachine wrote:It's amazing. I just fired it up this last weekend and was amazed how great it can sound. It does depend what it is fed as to how well it tracks, but generally anything can work.
I bought the ADDAC Eurorack module that uses the Mel9 as it's guts and ads the Control Voltage inputs and volume level changes needed to make it work with a synthesizer system. It sounds really nice but is really geared to work with Guitars and similar timbered instruments. It really wants an envelope shape and the harmonic content of a guitar to really pull off the Mellotron sound. I never really got it to sound nice with other inputs and sold mine. When given a guitar as an input, the unit is truly remarkable. If I was a guitar player, and did ANY music that even vaguely sounded like Prog-Rock, I would get this thing in a heartbeat. If you want a simple way to make your guitar sound like something COMPLETELY different, this and the other stuff they are making is a simple way of doing this. Putting this at the front of the chain of pedals you have would make all the pedals you already own suddenly have MUCH more to work with.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 am

^ I never really tried one with guitar because I am a dimwitted child on guitar. Bass it sounds thick and tracks well. As I mentioned somewhere I mainly use it with a Yamaha YC Reface and it works great. A little organ tone mixed with the wet can give a nice clean bottom tone.

I sound like this except the vocals are better:

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:59 pm

MindMachine wrote:^ I never really tried one with guitar because I am a dimwitted child on guitar. Bass it sounds thick and tracks well. As I mentioned somewhere I mainly use it with a Yamaha YC Reface and it works great. A little organ tone mixed with the wet can give a nice clean bottom tone.

The trouble with Bass on all the EH line is that they expressly say that it shouldn't work below a open A string. Mine never did it well.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:15 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
MindMachine wrote:^ I never really tried one with guitar because I am a dimwitted child on guitar. Bass it sounds thick and tracks well. As I mentioned somewhere I mainly use it with a Yamaha YC Reface and it works great. A little organ tone mixed with the wet can give a nice clean bottom tone.

The trouble with Bass on all the EH line is that they expressly say that it shouldn't work below a open A string. Mine never did it well.
Yep - it definitely has a fairly narrow range. Good enough for this effect though.

1986Bowler
Common Wiggler

Post by 1986Bowler » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:34 pm

Bought one!

Love it, and am looking at the other ones.
This covers a lot of ground, and it's nice to fill it the background.

One guitar- playing keyboards, bass and everything else, albeit all at once!

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:45 pm

I've been playing one channel of an old Roland RS-09 through the Mel9. Really makes it sound like a better string option or use voice presets on the Mel9 to give a little something different.

This is my favorite EH pedal. I've tried about 30 of the EH offerings over many years. I would like to try 10-12 more. I have a pedal problem and EH is the cause. I have a pedal problem and EH may be the cure.

But at any rate. My old string machine sounds completely different thorough the Mel9 - sounds huge and the Mel9 has the variable/delayed Attack so it is a nice option on top of an existing string program.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”