EHX MEL9 - Mellotron pedal

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:44 am

felixer wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:I haven't heard a Mellotron choir sound from the current-gen Casios as good as that of the MEL9 pedal though... yet, anyway.
well, any decent sampler can play back mellotron samples.
Right, but I'm talking about his "Casio sounds better" comment. I have a Casio, as mentioned in my post.

The Privia is just a digital piano, not a full rompler - so no Mellotron strings or choir or Mello-anything on it. The later Privia PX5-S might have a Melllo-samples - it's a rompler disguised as a plain old digital piano.

I actually don't care at all if there's any Casio product that produces Mello sounds as good as the MEL9 pedal or better - not an argument worth my time. But I did find that comment amusing. The latest Casio products are really good. Maybe one of their XW series synths has a Mello sample hidden in there.

I did like the Mello-strings on my Emu Command Station XL-7 quite a bit - authenticity be damned. It's one of several reasons I plan to take it to a tech shop for repairs - I miss the sounds, as well as its sequencer and arps.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:00 pm

On another thread Tronman posted a link to his site with quite a few sample banks made from a D400 Mellotron. Some of the more obscure ones too.

http://leisureland.us/audio/MellotronSa ... amples.htm

Strings, Brass, woodwinds, choirs and more.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:19 pm

Bill Ruppert post spotted on another forum - for those interested in the pedal rather than authentic Mellotron samples:
They are being built right now and if all goes well will ship next week. We have more parts on order for a second big batch so all orders will be filled as soon as possible!
The reaction to this pedal has been great.
It so wonderful to see people excited to expand the voice of guitar!
Bill

Tronman
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Tronman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:40 pm

Streetly Electronics - the one and only authentic Mellotron company: http://www.mellotronics.com/

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:57 pm

^might actually be a bargain for some customers outside the US - esp. the ones who complain about VAT or whatever bumping up the price.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:55 pm

B9, C9 and Key9 are about 240€ in germany ... i expect the mel9 to be the same as i 'm guessing it's about the same inside (except the code of course).

good to hear production is coming along ... but i don't need to be the first guy on the block :mrgreen:
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

TallSteve
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TallSteve » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:26 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:On another forum, somebody outed his dark secret: He once recorded on Shrapnel Records, that label infamous for shred-metal guitar instrumentals. He owned up to it, but I was amused that he wouldn't have volunteered that info if nobody brought it up. The damning evidence though has been there for all to see - his Ibanez Vai guitar!
Lol, I wondered why he always used a shred guitar in his demos. I was surprised at how well the pedal worked with it in this demo, though. I would think high output, aggressive pickups would over-saturate it with harmonic content. Makes me wonder how it would sound running flatwounds or a woman-tone semi-hollow into it.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:51 am

TallSteve wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:On another forum, somebody outed his dark secret: He once recorded on Shrapnel Records, that label infamous for shred-metal guitar instrumentals. He owned up to it, but I was amused that he wouldn't have volunteered that info if nobody brought it up. The damning evidence though has been there for all to see - his Ibanez Vai guitar!
Lol, I wondered why he always used a shred guitar in his demos. I was surprised at how well the pedal worked with it in this demo, though. I would think high output, aggressive pickups would over-saturate it with harmonic content. Makes me wonder how it would sound running flatwounds or a woman-tone semi-hollow into it.
Or a bass guitar. I would love to see this tech applied to a bass to make a unit that could dial in cello, standup, double bass, Rhodes piano bass etc for bass players.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:16 pm

They could take they're fancy polyphonic pitch detector technology to make a midi converter, that could drive any midi synth.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:25 pm

Nah I think a MEL9 Bass would be more successful than any MIDI bass product.

The MEL9 tracks fast because there's no MIDI.

TallSteve
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TallSteve » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:02 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
TallSteve wrote:
Or a bass guitar. I would love to see this tech applied to a bass to make a unit that could dial in cello, standup, double bass, Rhodes piano bass etc for bass players.
Bass player myself :). The Key9 has a raunchy Wurlitzer preset that could probably ape the piano bass tone. I got to thinking about that, too, while watching Bill's cut of "Riders On The Storm" in the demo.

I think what's coolest about this pedal, though, is just how many songs are now accessible to the average 3/4/5-piece bar band.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:15 am

Bob Borries wrote:They could take they're fancy polyphonic pitch detector technology to make a midi converter, that could drive any midi synth.
but it doesn't work like that: the incoming sound is 'bend'. no need for any translation, detection or analysis is the classic sense.

the tc poly tuners do pitchdetection. and they are slow and not very precise. still quite clever that it works, but not something you could built a musical interface with ...
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:54 pm

I'm wondering how anything other than guitar will work with this. Besides a monophonic synth keyboard I have a five octave Casio that will work for chords (I know three). I have a bass but I wonder if that will muddy it up.

When is this thing expected to ship anyway? :hyper:
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

MRoyce
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MRoyce » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:37 pm

If these are like the other x9s or POGs they'll track pretty much anything.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:26 am

I just ordered through Sweetwater. They are on back order but they have been receiving batches.

I have a 5 octave Casio MT-140 that I only use for piano and percussion sounds. I was looking to sell it. If it works with the Mel9, then I will keep it and not have to score an Emu VK-6, Korg Microstation or Streichfett w/ Midiboard. Or maybe get a Yamaha YC Reface.

So stoked for this. Hope the Casio drives it right. Amazing.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:07 am

mel9 is offered by thomann http://www.thomann.de/de/electro_harmon ... 9_383615_0
239€, eta 20th may ... alas too late for the next session i planned, but it'll get here, i'm sure 8-)

Knights Who Say Neve
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:23 am

I really wanted one of these until I tried one. It sounded like a hog pedal through 90's digital fx. Very disappointing. YMMV of course, and tbh I don't generally like these kinds of boxes (Organizer, Key9) but I had high hopes for this one.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:24 pm

MindMachine wrote:I just ordered through Sweetwater. They are on back order but they have been receiving batches.

I have a 5 octave Casio MT-140 that I only use for piano and percussion sounds. I was looking to sell it. If it works with the Mel9, then I will keep it and not have to score an Emu VK-6, Korg Microstation or Streichfett w/ Midiboard. Or maybe get a Yamaha YC Reface.

So stoked for this. Hope the Casio drives it right. Amazing.
Got the Mel9. Sounds incredible. Duh it only goes 4 octaves so did not work well with the big Casio I have. Great with an SK-1 especially on the Brass and Harmonic Synthesizer. I've decided to get the Yamaha Reface YC because I've wanted one and it will get enough range for me out of the Mel9.

The Mel9's limited controls are perfect for the emulation. Pleanty of variance.
Knights Who Say Neve wrote:I really wanted one of these until I tried one. It sounded like a hog pedal through 90's digital fx. Very disappointing. YMMV of course, and tbh I don't generally like these kinds of boxes (Organizer, Key9) but I had high hopes for this one.
It is much closer to a Mellotron sound than any string synth is to real strings. Not that they are all meant to be, but it's hard to hear someone say 'very disappointed'. I could understand 'not that impressed'. It is a guitar pedal. It's 231.00 USD. I split it through an Instant Lo Fi Junky and it is sweet.

Plus I doubt that Micro digital Mellotron for $500.00 will ever make it out.

:sun:

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Post by /\/\/\/ » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:29 am

MindMachine, if you have any recordings of the Mel9 w/ Lofi Junky I would really love to hear that combo.

I have to say I agree with Knights... however (!) the Lofi Junky is like the remedy to all things overly digital.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:21 am

/\/\/\/ wrote:MindMachine, if you have any recordings of the Mel9 w/ Lofi Junky I would really love to hear that combo.

I have to say I agree with Knights... however (!) the Lofi Junky is like the remedy to all things overly digital.
No sounds sorry.

I was running the Casio sound thru the Junky split from the Mel9's straight output, so no real magic there. Just to lo fi the Casio sound to mix as a separate mixer input from the Mel9 wet output. I haven't even processed the Mel9 wet output yet, except for spring reverb. It is blowing my mind every time I use it.

I'm picking up the Yamaha YC Reface this Friday in part to power the Mel9 and will try a bunch of split processes with that. I find the EH Analogizer adds a lot of presence to digital sounds. I'm gonna split the YC through that and the Mel9. It is a pretty handy thing. Maybe an EH Tube EQ would be better...
The LoFi Instant Junky is living on my new Microbrute these days. Makes it sound 1970's!!

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:40 pm

dreams do indeed come true. . .
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

jaerrod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jaerrod » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Holy shit thats awesome!

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:47 pm

Amazing!!!!

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:46 pm

Holy whoever!!! It is endless what turns up every few weeks.

BTW - the YC Reface does control the full range of the pedal. They split very nicely, but don't get used that way much. Amazing instruments these days.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:36 am

if only had an SD slot, where users could manipulate the "tapes" or add their own!!

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”