Earthquaker Avalanche Run - any opinions?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

babysam
Learning to Wiggle

Post by babysam » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:01 pm

I've had this pedal for about a week and really like it. The tone knob can dial in filtered feedback sounds emulating a BBD or tape style degradation.

The swell function works really well for creating a side chaining effect with synth stabs. I love the sound of the reverb, but there's not a lot of control over it apart from decay length and even then I don't notice a dramatic shift. Depending on the context I've there's a little too much predelay on the verb as well, but I'm usually just adding a splash of that.

Holding down the tempo prompts the pedal to self oscillate and can easily and effective get some dramatic effects there.

Does anyone know about the signal flow for the pedal, sounds like delay into the reverb?

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:09 am

My has just retired after a good many years - substituted the effect for "Atmosphere" by Dr. Scientist. Although I will miss the goofy SOS feature of the Avalanche, the possibilities with the new reverb by the Doctor were just too good to pass.....so, its to the drawer for the Avalanche Run.

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:59 am

dont buy.

cool pedal, you'll have fun but.
but for the below 2 reasons, ID PASS.

I have one. V1, its fully functional
but ive had to send it to EQD 3 times!!!!!!
to have the main board replaced, and for a pedal that cost 300$ now ive had to drop 15$ every 6 months since I bought it
to send it in to have the board replaced
thats lame.

and plus EQD is notorious for version mongering. so your probably gonna buy it then a few months later they'll have a new version out.
which doesnt effect how your pedal works or sound but to me is just a tactic... to get a product to the market.

and I dont recall which manufacture said it but the gist was, they're gonna get it right the first time and have no need for version after version...
-----

get something death by audio or Walrus Audio.
never had any probs with an of their pedals and they're equally as radical if not more.
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Severed head wrote:dont buy.

cool pedal, you'll have fun but.
but for the below 2 reasons, ID PASS.

I have one. V1, its fully functional
but ive had to send it to EQD 3 times!!!!!!
to have the main board replaced, and for a pedal that cost 300$ now ive had to drop 15$ every 6 months since I bought it
to send it in to have the board replaced
thats lame.

and plus EQD is notorious for version mongering. so your probably gonna buy it then a few months later they'll have a new version out.
which doesnt effect how your pedal works or sound but to me is just a tactic... to get a product to the market.

and I dont recall which manufacture said it but the gist was, they're gonna get it right the first time and have no need for version after version...
-----

get something death by audio or Walrus Audio.
never had any probs with an of their pedals and they're equally as radical if not more.
Been getting their pedals for years and must admit never really had a problem; everything from them worked and works perfectly - but, again, that may be just my luck (right this moment, had to foot a very expessive courier from South America to Detroit to send a Red Panda Particle 2, which was dead right out of the box.....$300 pedal that was completely dead - but, again, small, boutique company, though frustrating, can happen, part of the game).

I also have a Avalanche V.1 and wasn't tempted to get a V.2 from the demos I watched. Didn't really see to much of a difference to bother getting the newer version. And, actually, in putting out new and improved versions of the same effects, EQD doesn't seem to do this on a general basis. Chase Bliss Audio, for exemple, is way, way worse - although I love Joel's boxes, absolutely brilliant, he never stops tweaking them and re-release newer and better versions. Take a look at the Warped Vinyl - already on version three! And the delay, from the original Blue-Knob version to the Red-Knob version (had to send that one in for an update, which was a hassle for me) And, boy, these effects are expensive, really up there pricewise. Although I'm a big fan of CBA, I'm always tempted to wait a while before getting anything for fear that in a year or so, Joel will re-release a better and brighter version of his boxes.

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:18 pm

yeah.
I hear what your saying but having to send it in 3 times for the same problem thats over the top. and I appreciate the free repair and free return shipping but like you had to do paying for shipping a second time is stupid. you receive a pedal it doesnt work they should foot the bill.

I don't consider EQD boutique. its all machine made.
im my book boutique is short run, hand made or nearly all hand made.

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:04 pm

Severed head wrote:yeah.
I hear what your saying but having to send it in 3 times for the same problem thats over the top. and I appreciate the free repair and free return shipping but like you had to do paying for shipping a second time is stupid. you receive a pedal it doesnt work they should foot the bill.

Yeah, I got to agree with you. After the second time around, they should have sent you a new unit with shipping included. That would be the right thing to do.

STO1138
1-Post Wiggler

Post by STO1138 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:28 pm

I have one of these, the V2, it's the nicest delay pedal I've ever owned. I haven't gotten to use it with an expression pedal yet. The reverb and delay are excellent. I'm thinking of buying another one to go after it since I keep it in the reverse setting so much.

The only thing I'm nervous about is the rotary knobs. The unit was so tight in it's little cloth bag that it bent them a bit. I can already see them being the first thing to break down. Hopefully the warranty will cover that :despair:

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:04 pm

STO1138 wrote:I have one of these, the V2, it's the nicest delay pedal I've ever owned. I haven't gotten to use it with an expression pedal yet. The reverb and delay are excellent. I'm thinking of buying another one to go after it since I keep it in the reverse setting so much.

The only thing I'm nervous about is the rotary knobs. The unit was so tight in it's little cloth bag that it bent them a bit. I can already see them being the first thing to break down. Hopefully the warranty will cover that :despair:
id notify them right away,,

thats another lame factor ive noticed with EQD, I have the Ava run, night wire, and sea machine, and WILL NOT be buying anything else,
2 of the 3 have slanted pots, so if you look at pedal from the side the are literally tilted, not that I look at them from the side, but come on now the quality control is no existent if I can build 30 DIY kits and not have one slanted pot, so can EQD on a prebuilt 300$+ dollar pedal...

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:10 pm

smetak wrote:
Severed head wrote:yeah.

Yeah, I got to agree with you. After the second time around, they should have sent you a new unit with shipping included. That would be the right thing to do.
I agree lol. but im sure now that they have a V2 they're not even considering it. the pedal just received back, maybe a month ago give or take, and its doting the same lame sh!t again, intermittently working as it should, the sound will always pass through but the effect won't work always, when you hit the on/off button... im goin to just ask for a new unit when it fails again and as much as I want the pedal. im just gonna tell them to keep it if they dont send me a new one as its gotten to just be a continual annoying thorn in my side that irritates me every time I think of it. ...or just use it as target practice.

homepoeteuro
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Earthquaker Avalanche Run - any opinions?

Post by homepoeteuro » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:57 pm

My Avalanche seems to be always on. Even of both mix knobs are all the way down and when de pedal is in True Bypass mode, i hear te sound changing when i turn de time and decay knobs.

Don't know what i'm doing wrong. Can somebody help me? It's the first version. Or is this normal behavior?

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”