El Capistan users

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

swhic
Common Wiggler

El Capistan users

Post by swhic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:06 am

Overused? too much tapey stuff the last years...think I need to get rid of it...

somonochrome
Common Wiggler

Post by somonochrome » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:54 am

Noooo... el cap is way more capable than just to be used as a tapeechoonetrickpony... there are so many great sounds in between!!!

and the reverb IMO is gold... one pedal and you got tons of great spaces!

swhic
Common Wiggler

Post by swhic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:35 am

that's encouraging! how do you use it in the chain?

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:59 am

One of my mixer aux busses is dedicated to mine. Love it.
15U 168hp Zebrawood case Build Log [FINISHED]: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=134540
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:26 am

It's an awesome pedal! :party: :goo: :sb: Even though I really don't "need" one again I still want one!

I sold my V1 during a money crunch, because I wanted the V2 and planned to re-buy it but since then I've obtained a BigSky, Timeline, DIG and DECO so, those along with my Modcan Dual Delay and Roland RSP-550 . . . it seems silly to think about getting the El Cap but . . . I'm pretty silly! :hihi: :cheesy:

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:33 am

I love the tapes sounds but you don't have to crank the wobble and tape age to the max so that it can be pretty subtle too... I love mine and use it on everything pretty much...
In stereo it is simply mind-blowing.

Popski
The Cake is a Pie

Post by Popski » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:45 pm

I bought 2 actually.. Mk1 from way bck when and a new back-up. The lo-fi junky-eqsue setting ( mix 100% time at shortest, max crinkle, flutter and wow) plus the reverb, plus the looper setting make this the most used pedal on my deck. It also trails so beautifully.

one other thing that is a major bonus IMO, is that all the inputs are on the rear side of the pedal. It can nest perfectly next to another strymon, or other pedal with no side jacks. space saver on a travel board.

pushthatbutton
Common Wiggler

Post by pushthatbutton » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:20 pm

having mine since one or two weeks now.

cant decide if it will stay or go.

on one hand it sounds pretty good and it is quite small on the other hand the secondary functions making it not so hands on and fast as i hoped.

im still learning it downs and ups.
hope it will stay actually - the search for delay should come to an end here.
but i allready think if a second deco would make more sense for me since i have some delays allready.
my deco is married to the main out of my octatrack.
a second deco would be ace for the cue outs...

but i will give the el cap more time.. maybe i fall in love with it afterwards.

pushthatbutton
Common Wiggler

Post by pushthatbutton » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:27 am

just for the book:
i will keep the el capistan!
needed a while to find the sweetspot of it, but since then im very happy with it.

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:08 pm

nice pedal, although it advertised as going well with line level and so on, it still sounds best if you use it with low level/guitar level and not much more i think

Nick Jackson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nick Jackson » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:27 pm

best delay i've used. although i may have to invest in a space echo soon for some LEGIT tape sound!

pushthatbutton
Common Wiggler

Post by pushthatbutton » Sat May 06, 2017 11:14 am

honeymoontime is over i would say.
el cap is ace!
i dont agree that its sounding this revolutionary good.
but nothing to complain about how it sounds either.
it sounds superb for a digital tape pedal!
what makes the magic is really the playability. amazing hands on!
i have it after the main out of my octatrack before a deco.
crazy good combination el cap and deco.
good job strymon!

anarchy4bits
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anarchy4bits » Sat May 06, 2017 1:49 pm

+1 for el cap before deco. have it in the same order. awesome pedals.

esotericmetal
Common Wiggler

Post by esotericmetal » Tue May 09, 2017 8:34 am

I've also been using an el cap into a deco (on an electric piano) and t sounds great, especially with the deco in super wide stereo mode. Been thinking about switching it around though, or adding a reverb at the end as i like to use the deco for distortion and that tends to eat up the reverb on the el cap a little too much depending on what I'm going for.

Let's not forget about the SOS mode either. This little guy is a beast and I don't think there's another pedal that does all that it can do in a small package.

durwin
Common Wiggler

Post by durwin » Wed May 10, 2017 8:12 am

It's the best degrading looper going around - nothing else on the market can change and slowly manipulate your sound into a beautiful mess!

......and a great delay :despair: :omg:

bougie
Common Wiggler

Post by bougie » Fri May 12, 2017 11:36 am

have a mk1 since when they came out, still using it everyday. thinking of picking a mk2 for the stereo in and soft-clickless switches (for desktop use). :hihi:

love running stuff through it with 100%wet, delay time at 0 to get wow and flutter and tape saturation in real-time. then use the delay time knob to make things drift.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat May 13, 2017 5:03 am

The stereo is mind-blowing. I used it for 6months in mono because I didn't realize you needed a proper split cable but once I finally bought it my life changed.

tronbeardsley
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tronbeardsley » Wed May 17, 2017 1:01 pm

bougie wrote:love running stuff through it with 100%wet, delay time at 0 to get wow and flutter and tape saturation in real-time. then use the delay time knob to make things drift.
I've been meaning to pick up a favorite switch just for this setting. Although not as versatile, it's a good alternative to shelling out for a Lo-fi Junky or Warped Vinyl for the warble effect.

durwin
Common Wiggler

Post by durwin » Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 pm

bougie wrote:have a mk1 since when they came out, still using it everyday. thinking of picking a mk2 for the stereo in and soft-clickless switches (for desktop use). :hihi:

love running stuff through it with 100%wet, delay time at 0 to get wow and flutter and tape saturation in real-time. then use the delay time knob to make things drift.
This ^^

kbithecrowing
Common Wiggler

Post by kbithecrowing » Sat May 27, 2017 5:38 pm

durwin wrote:It's the best degrading looper going around - nothing else on the market can change and slowly manipulate your sound into a beautiful mess!

Agreed, the sos mode is the real star of this pedal in my eyes, especially in conjunction with another looper. And a subtle slapback in stereo gives whatever you put through it a wonderful stereo spread.

esotericmetal
Common Wiggler

Post by esotericmetal » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:15 am

Personally I think it shines way more as an effect for keyboards/synths or as an outboard effect for mixing. A lot of the amazing nuances can really get lost when running into the front of a guitar amp. I keep wanting to sell all my unused pedals and put the money into eurorack modules, but I can't bring myself to sell this one, or any of my Strymon pedals for that matter.

anarchy4bits
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anarchy4bits » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:46 am

esotericmetal wrote:Personally I think it shines way more as an effect for keyboards/synths or as an outboard effect for mixing. A lot of the amazing nuances can really get lost when running into the front of a guitar amp. I keep wanting to sell all my unused pedals and put the money into eurorack modules, but I can't bring myself to sell this one, or any of my Strymon pedals for that matter.
I think it depends on the amp. If you go in a very clean amp like a fender tube amp or a roland jazz chorus you don't lost much of that nice nuances. Also the signal flow, how much and which other pedals you use before and after will change the sound. I love it for guitar also with amps.

folpon
Common Wiggler

Post by folpon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:32 am

Wow, this thread is making me want to enable the stereo mode on my deco...

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:16 pm

You definitely should. I took me 6months but then you can't go back. Incredible.

durwin
Common Wiggler

Post by durwin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:41 pm

kbithecrowing wrote:
durwin wrote:It's the best degrading looper going around - nothing else on the market can change and slowly manipulate your sound into a beautiful mess!

Agreed, the sos mode is the real star of this pedal in my eyes, especially in conjunction with another looper. And a subtle slapback in stereo gives whatever you put through it a wonderful stereo spread.
Ah yes, another looper post is a great idea.....or pre for that matter! And the stereo really is special. Just nudges it to either side to let the centre shine.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”