El Capistan users

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:47 am

I owned an El Cap for about two weeks, for me it was nothing special, some pedals you just plug in and you go "WOW" this one didn't make me go wow at all. It didn't have any vibe, not say, like a Memory Man, or Moog delay.
My current fave box is the Echo Dream, that's special, or check out the new EHX Canyon.

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:19 am

i own a El Capistan since today. i've got one from the used market btw. i want to use it (along with a BlueSky) as Send effect in my Mackie 1402. i noticed that in the right speaker of my headphones, the delay effect is slightly louder than on the left channel. i tried everthing to compensate it. first by panning the source sound a bit, sound source direct input, i changed the internal jumper to stereo (used with TRS cable) and back to Mono again, i've checked the audio cables for any defects, but no matter how the knob settings are, one channel seems to be a louder. just a little but clearly audible. is this normal wih the El Capistan and if not, what could that be? this anoys me a bit!

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Been a while since I used mine, but I remember stereo not being that great. I thought it would pingpong or something wider than what it does. I believe there is a dipswitch inside for making the input stereo or mono, maybe that's part of your issues if you're sending it stereo?

https://www.strymon.net/faq/how-do-i-en ... -capistan/

Or maybe some phase issue when it's mixed back with the original track?

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:41 pm

Loving this dedicated to the output of my Minilogue.

CosmicFlight
Common Wiggler

Post by CosmicFlight » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Has a nice and lush sound but finally sold mine few years ago, did not regret it

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:20 pm

The SOS mode with the degrading loops is like nothing on I've heard! And from what I've read, their new Volante doesn't cut it as well as the El Cap - I'm so crazy for the SOS mode that I have yet to explore the rest - fantastic pedal!

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:51 am

smetak wrote:The SOS mode with the degrading loops is like nothing on I've heard! And from what I've read, their new Volante doesn't cut it as well as the El Cap - I'm so crazy for the SOS mode that I have yet to explore the rest - fantastic pedal!
what's the SOS mode my friend?

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:25 am

Sound on Sound. Makes for great disintegrating loops.

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:06 pm

Alphaman wrote:
smetak wrote:The SOS mode with the degrading loops is like nothing on I've heard! And from what I've read, their new Volante doesn't cut it as well as the El Cap - I'm so crazy for the SOS mode that I have yet to explore the rest - fantastic pedal!
what's the SOS mode my friend?
Sound on Sound, or Mode "C".

Here's an exemple of the SOS mode in all its glory (at 3:20):

[video][/video]

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:56 pm

ah ok. i did not tried the Looper mode yet. i operate the El Capistan over one of the two Aux-sends of my VLZ4 1402. the other is occupied by a Strymon Bly Sky. i'll definitely try the SOS mode soon. currently i experiment more with real Tape/cassette Loops :)

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:16 am

i just checked the SoS mode. for testing, i have a synth connected to the El Cap. at first i pre-configurated the settings of the El Cap for best sound quality. but when i record a loop, the sound gets more and more muddy and distorted with every cycle and the wideness is gone. it's not that it is a bad feature, it even simulates tape saturation very well. but i rather want control this myself, instead of being forced to get that distorted sound as result. what's the problem here?

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:57 am

Alphaman wrote:i just checked the SoS mode. for testing, i have a synth connected to the El Cap. at first i pre-configurated the settings of the El Cap for best sound quality. but when i record a loop, the sound gets more and more muddy and distorted with every cycle and the wideness is gone. it's not that it is a bad feature, it even simulates tape saturation very well. but i rather want control this myself, instead of being forced to get that distorted sound as result. what's the problem here?
You can completely eliminate the muddy, distorted sound via the tape age and wow&flutter knobs - just turning them counter-clockwise you will gradually do away with the muddyness and distortion.

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:22 am

smetak wrote:
Alphaman wrote:i just checked the SoS mode. for testing, i have a synth connected to the El Cap. at first i pre-configurated the settings of the El Cap for best sound quality. but when i record a loop, the sound gets more and more muddy and distorted with every cycle and the wideness is gone. it's not that it is a bad feature, it even simulates tape saturation very well. but i rather want control this myself, instead of being forced to get that distorted sound as result. what's the problem here?
You can completely eliminate the muddy, distorted sound via the tape age and wow&flutter knobs - just turning them counter-clockwise you will gradually do away with the muddyness and distortion.
as i said, i already did that, not only one time. and i do not complain about muddiness but rather about the distortion or saturation after only 10 to 15 seconds or so. i'm not a expert when it comes to real tape delays tbh, but so far i'm informed now, El Capistan also simulates the "recording" procedure of an real tape delay. the tape head continues recording with every cycle, even when the audio source does not feeding it. with a real tape, this would lead to quality loss over the time of course. but in such short time frame with a digital tape delay pedal without the possibillity to completely turning it off, wonders me a little.

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:47 am

Alphaman wrote:
smetak wrote:
as i said, i already did that, not only one time. and i do not complain about muddiness but rather about the distortion or saturation after only 10 to 15 seconds or so. i'm not a expert when it comes to real tape delays tbh, but so far i'm informed now, El Capistan also simulates the "recording" procedure of an real tape delay. the tape head continues recording with every cycle, even when the audio source does not feeding it. with a real tape, this would lead to quality loss over the time of course. but in such short time frame with a digital tape delay pedal without the possibillity to completely turning it off, wonders me a little.
Hum.....good point. Never really noticed how many cycles it does take before the sound begins to desintegrate, even when the age and wow & futter are off. I'm going to try mine to see what happens.

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:43 pm

Sorry if already said, but did you mess with the secondary functions?

Image[/img]

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”