Guitar pedal send/return pedal thing

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

submute
Common Wiggler

Guitar pedal send/return pedal thing

Post by submute » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:44 am

I feel like what would be awesome on my pedal board is a pedal that has a few send/returns so i can route stuff around live without re-plugging/configuring the pedals themselves... Is there such a thing?

pricklyrobot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:50 am

Idunno
Common Wiggler

Re: Guitar pedal send/return pedal thing

Post by Idunno » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:02 pm

submute wrote:I feel like what would be awesome on my pedal board is a pedal that has a few send/returns so i can route stuff around live without re-plugging/configuring the pedals themselves... Is there such a thing?
Do you mean reroute pedal order on the pedalboard, or reroute to external devices like synths?

I'm sure there are plenty of solutions to either, but it'd help to know what you want to achieve.

Zube
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zube » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:25 pm

submute wrote:I feel like what would be awesome on my pedal board is a pedal that has a few send/returns so i can route stuff around live without re-plugging/configuring the pedals themselves... Is there such a thing?
Boss LS-2 is what I use live. I also have a little DIY patchbay that I use with the LS-2 in the studio to quickly reroute signals.

submute
Common Wiggler

Post by submute » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:19 pm

I want to re-route pedals on the board, that's all. That Patchulator 8000 seems like a perfect fit. Any other options?

Idunno
Common Wiggler

Post by Idunno » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:38 pm

submute wrote:I want to re-route pedals on the board, that's all. That Patchulator 8000 seems like a perfect fit. Any other options?
Yeah, that little patchbay is quite nifty. Hadn't seen that before. Although having all those patch cords sticking up in the middle of the pedalboard ain't too smart.

Loop switchers can be anything from simple passive boxes with one or two loops &/or order switching to more sophisticated boxes (Radial do a range of "Bigshot" looper and switcher stompboxes) to more expensive stuff like the Boss MS-3 Multi Effects Switcher, Boss ES8 Effects Switching System, Pigtronix Keymaster (out of production now, but secondhand???).

There's loads of FX loop switcher boxes available, but less boxes that do FX order switching. It's easy enough to build though. If you know someone who knows how to use a soldering iron perhaps they could make you something. It's only (foot)switches and Jack sockets at it's most basic. There's a wiring diagram at the bottom of this page: http://beavisaudio.com/projects/looperswitcher/
Last edited by Idunno on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

filtermod
Wiggling with Experience

Post by filtermod » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Is this what you're looking for? https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/swiss-things
If you want to do more specific routing there's this. https://www.rjmmusic.com/effect-gizmo/
Pedalboard wise you could use one of these. https://www.ehx.com/products/super-switcher
Or these https://www.boss.info/us/products/es-8/
Lots of other options too.

pricklyrobot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Haven’t done it yet, but I’ve pondered building a pedal board with a regular rack patchbay at the top. Drill holes and connect all your pedals to the back of the patchbay. Then just rearrange order, feedback patch, etc. at the front (I’d probably assign a cable color to each pedal, to minimize visual confusion).

All your wire spaghetti would be at top of the pedalboard so you could still tweak knobs and whatnot.

pricklyrobot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Also, not what you were asking for but another cool little tool to get more out of your existing pedals, if you DIY at all:

http://jmkpcbs.com/product/paralyzer/

Zube
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zube » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:27 am

pricklyrobot wrote:Haven’t done it yet, but I’ve pondered building a pedal board with a regular rack patchbay at the top. Drill holes and connect all your pedals to the back of the patchbay. Then just rearrange order, feedback patch, etc. at the front (I’d probably assign a cable color to each pedal, to minimize visual confusion).

All your wire spaghetti would be at top of the pedalboard so you could still tweak knobs and whatnot.
Skb made a pedal board for a bit that is exactly what you're describing. It was pretty cool and tidy.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:55 pm

Zube wrote:
Boss LS-2 is what I use live. I also have a little DIY patchbay that I use with the LS-2 in the studio to quickly reroute signals.
The Boss LS-2 not only does a GREAT job of send/return (2ch worth) but it's also a great clean booster. It can add up to 20db of clean gain to each of the two separate s/r loops. I've owned two of the LS-2 units for over ten years now ... very well spent $120.00.

:tu:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:26 pm

Earthquaker recently released this:

https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/swiss-things

gearhead61
Common Wiggler

Post by gearhead61 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:06 pm

So much gear, so little time...

Moerdertheke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Moerdertheke » Wed May 08, 2019 11:26 am

As an alternative for the Patchulator, I use angled jack adapters on my board, so it's just a matter of repatching cables if I want to change the routing. It's finnicky, ugly and needs more space, yes, but with a bit of pedal tetris you can get a really nice modular setup done. The adapters becomes quite pricy with more pedals, though.

Regarding patchbays, you can also try to get a passive ART TPatch, remove the casing and tape the individual patch groups to the side of you pedal board. All the patchable ins/outs are connected from the bottom and you can easily patch the connections from the top. Worked quite well for me to save space.

A third option is to buy one of those super slim 4ms Eurorack pods with and slam a matrix mixer in. Or just passive multiples/jack converters in a DIY case - that'd get you closer to the Patchulator. It's definitely a pricier version given that you'll need both jack converters AND matching modules. Or cables that go from flat jack to patchable minijack.

p.j.
Common Wiggler

Post by p.j. » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:24 am

Zube wrote:
I got one of these a couple months ago and it is tremendously versatile. Awesome product. Right now I have a guitar synth in one loop and regular guitar in the other. Boss Line Selector info

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:45 pm

I just got one of these things. One thing I was curious about was if the routing went all the way through the TRS jacks so unbalanced stereo could be used.

Sure enough, I can now switch the order of my Meris Mercury, Ottobit, and Polymoon all in stereo.

So if anyone wants easy stereo pedal order switching in stereo or mono, this can do it. Might not work so great switching order on a mono pedal with a stereo pedal depending on the mono pedal.

Found this out after I ordered a DIY effects order switcher kit, but that only does two mono signals.

The jacks on top might make it not so great for on the ground boards, but for wigglers, this thing is pretty cool.

p.j.
Common Wiggler

Post by p.j. » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:23 am

Zube wrote:
The LS-2 is actually really configurable and very inexpensive. I use it for switching between regular guitar and guitar synth. Works like a charm.

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:48 am

I wouldn't buy anything from earthquakes devices
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:43 am

Severed head wrote:I wouldn't buy anything from earthquakes devices
And why would that be?

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:45 am

Can the LS2 do ordering as well as just switching?

And can you re-patch the Patchulator live without getting plugging / unplugging noise? It does look rather cool...

I've got a Klein Bottle, FWIW. I absolutely love it, but I'm using it for live tweaking in a sort of pedalboard-as-mini-modular setup rather than just for swapping things around - re-ordering effects involves a bit of hand-and-knees knob twiddling rather than a straight footswitch.

Big pedal routers like the Boss ES5 seem to be able to do this sort of stuff, of course, but they're also fairly spendy and possibly overkill depending on what you want them for...

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”