Hungry Robot Wardenclyffe (and Wash)

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Hungry Robot Wardenclyffe (and Wash)

Post by MindMachine » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:37 pm

Just came across this pedal. I like the demos I've seen. I currently use a Zvex Instant Lo Fi Junky and was considering a Copper Effects Generation Loss. I want another Lo Fi style box.

It would primarily be used for electronic organ, electronic piano, drum machines and different synthesizers or samples.

From what I can tell it has a bit more variety to it than the Cooper. They both seem really nice.

Any experience with the Wardenclyffe?

ps - the Hungry Robot Wash looks interesting too, but I already have an Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star that I use on bass.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:17 am

That thing sounds really cool and is smartly designed. I like the reverb and filter add-ins as they make the pedal special.

Every time that I’m tempted by pedals like this, I remember that I can and have built similar in my Axe-FX, which yields much more control via pedals, footswitches and MIDI. This one might make for a fun Sunday project. It sounds really good, dare I say better than the Zvex, as well as more flexible.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:06 pm

The Wardenclyffe sounds great but I think I can get quite similar results with a BBD delay set to fully wet, no feedback and shortest delay time with some subtle modulation added to the delay time for pitch warble...

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:56 am

I doubt that. You'd need to factor in the filters and the sustained reverb at least.

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 am

I have both. I first picked up the Instant Lo-Fi and I love the warble side of the dial. Using it with synths, I'm not finding any use for the compression side. However, the Instant Lo-Fi adds so much noise to the signal chain that I wanted to get another warbler, so I picked up the Wardenclyffe. It's a thoughtful pedal, and I love the sound of the reverb, but I do like the Zvex's warble better than Wardenclyffe for some reason. I kinda want to try the CBA Warped Vinyl HiFi since it's based on the Instant Lo-Fi, with reduced noise.

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:44 am

I have/use both the Wash and the Wardenclyffe, for all my outboard synths/drum machines. I am not personally a fan of bit reduction (I prefer smoother saturation only), so I've only got demos of the LoFi. But.... I absolutely love the sound that Hungry Robots goes for.
The wash, inside, has an honest-to-goodness cap cascade; and everything that implies. The reverb side is huge and smooth; leaning towards the big-ambient side of things. The delay is crackly, dark, and obviously aliases on high-freq sounds. The comparison in my mind is of the original Boss delay pedal from the 80s. Awesome, if that's the sound you're after. [The modulation on the delay/rvb fills the room with 'analog wonky goodness'.]
The Wardenclyffe has an awesome full chorus sound, with a lot of adjustability. I don't even bother with their built-in 'freeze-verb', 'cuz I have the Wash for that. But the lopass filter, and switchable waves, make for a very goo-ey sound. Not as super-modulated as a Dimension... More like a 'full' sound in the spectrum. I love it on 'boards; use it all the time.

Both are mono-only, coming from the guitar-pedal world; but that can be 'fixed' upstream (in yer DAW, or run through a stereo-spread pedal).

The company's production is all through-hole, looks all handmade, and construction looks bombproof. I have no affiliation with them (in case this looks like shameless plugging); but I'm always on the lookout when they release something new. I don't have any of their other pedals yet; most are some form of variation on the reverb/dly/mod categories (and I'm very happy with what I've got.

Bottom line: When you want down 'n dirty delay/verb/mod, it's just the thing. [I'm assuming you have some sort of clean alternative, when you want simple clean repeats, or shorter/more parameter-changing 'verbs...]

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:17 pm

Kent wrote:I doubt that. You'd need to factor in the filters and the sustained reverb at least.
Yeah sure, but I don't like that reverb anyway...

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:47 am

... Strymon DECO ...
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Re: Hungry Robot Wardenclyffe (and Wash)

Post by MindMachine » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:04 pm

Finally scored the Wardenclyffe tonight. On its way.

Muff s rules!

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:15 am

Congrats! Curious to know your thoughts/review; I haven't come across a lot of exposure to Hungry Robot stuff. I still am in love with my Warden, though I admit to never (virtually) using the on-board 'freeze' reverb (as stated, I've got others). For me, it's still my most 'colorful' chorus, much much more 'wet' than my Julia (and other varied analog/digital devices), and less noisy than my Clone Theory.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:39 am

^My audio chains are noisy as hell, so no concern to me there. I typically use RS-09> EH Small Stone >Lo Fi Junky and second channel >Mel9 pedal.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:04 am

hippo1 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:15 am
Congrats! Curious to know your thoughts/review; I haven't come across a lot of exposure to Hungry Robot stuff. I still am in love with my Warden, though I admit to never (virtually) using the on-board 'freeze' reverb (as stated, I've got others). For me, it's still my most 'colorful' chorus, much much more 'wet' than my Julia (and other varied analog/digital devices), and less noisy than my Clone Theory.
So far have mostly used it with voice ( the Pad switch is niice) and Roland RS-09. Seems clean enough. Much cleaner than Zvex Instant Lo Fi Junky. Much less digital than Old Blood Noise Endeavors Darkstar, which I use in a similar capacity - although it is quite different. Happy to plug the Wardenclyffe between anything really. Next up... electric bass.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”