Electro-Harmonix Pedals Over the Years

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:24 am

Yes Powder wrote:Pedals I want to get:
Knockout- I don't know why, I just do.
For $68.70 you can't go wrong. For guitars it does what is intended. It's also a decent static EQ/Filter for drum machines, tape loops, etc.

If you want to borrow mine you can, but it will likely be about $25.00 to mail it back and forth.

Might be worth it if you decide you like it and find a used one.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

155sickdude
1-Post Wiggler

Re: Electro-Harmonix Pedals Over the Years

Post by 155sickdude » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:02 pm

MindMachine wrote:Ok so I was going through my....
(Sorry if this is on a wrong thread) Does anyone know what effect units that has been used here or if i can achieve something similar? Sound like a very crazy type of a chorus.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:38 am

The first one sounds like a computer.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Re: Electro-Harmonix Pedals Over the Years

Post by Yes Powder » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:32 am

155sickdude wrote: (Sorry if this is on a wrong thread) Does anyone know what effect units that has been used here or if i can achieve something similar? Sound like a very crazy type of a chorus.

I don't know if I hear much in the way of any distinctive chorusing between these three songs, but I hear a lot of AutoTune.
Some more information, like time markers or what part of the song (chords, vocals, drum, leads) you hear it on would be helpful.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:25 am

I finally got a Freeze a couple days ago. Does exactly what one think it should do, with my bass at least. Now I have to try it with other stuff like drum machines and microphones. And then run the output of the freeze through other pedals. Oh God, this is how it starts.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:53 pm

Cool thing about the Freeze is that it can go anywhere between anything.

Play a cd effect, radio transmission or tape loop through it.

Put it before or after an effect chain or in the middle of the train. It doesn't care where you put it.

Great for vocal improvisation.

L13
Learning to Wiggle

Post by L13 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:57 pm

i love the canyon and super ego
i have a vintage big muff and small stone which are both built like cheap junk and sound awesome
i heard that EHX scooped an eventide engineer hence all of the next level shit they've been dropping the last couple of years

p.j.
Common Wiggler

Post by p.j. » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:14 am

I had a Russian Big Muff when they first came out and didn't get on with it very well. I just traded for a Mel9 a few months ago and am loving its cheesy goodness. I will eventually buy an 8 Step Program for all my pedals that take cv.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:32 am

p.j. wrote:I had a Russian Big Muff when they first came out and didn't get on with it very well. I just traded for a Mel9 a few months ago and am loving its cheesy goodness. I will eventually buy an 8 Step Program for all my pedals that take cv.
Righteous.

Love the Mel9 and covet the 8 Step (and Clockworks).

The Mel9 is a revelation.

edit - old news Badstone resissue added and OK. May prefer Samllstone.

Mark Hammer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mark Hammer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:09 pm

I've had a bunch pass through my hands over the years. I used to have a Hot Foot controller I bought in the late '70s. A terrific utility - particularly in that extended period where expression-pedal inputs were very rare - that was unfortunately hampered by three things: 1) the torque in the cable tended to make other pedals flip over unless they were big and heavy or otherwise secured, 2) the wide berth required for the securing screw that made it hard to use on many commercial pedals other than things like the Memory Man or Electric Mistress, and 3) that sucker was HUGE (to quote Tiny Elvis).

I also had a Small Clone that mysteriously disappeared somewhere and a Minisynth that I sadly felt compelled to sell off. I currently have an original Doctor Q, a Y-Triggered Filter, a Micro-Pog, a big-box recent issue Big Muff Pi, and recently purchased a new issue Attack Decay pedal. I've also made clones of the Small Stone, Bassballs, Hot Tubes, Sonic Boomer and CRash Pad for myself.
Those with a taste for nostalgia might get a kick out of this price list from 1981.
http://hammer.ampage.org/files/1981_E-H_pricelist.gif

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:15 am

Mark Hammer wrote:I've had a bunch pass through my hands over the years. I used to have a Hot Foot controller I bought in the late '70s. A terrific utility - particularly in that extended period where expression-pedal inputs were very rare - that was unfortunately hampered by three things: 1) the torque in the cable tended to make other pedals flip over unless they were big and heavy or otherwise secured, 2) the wide berth required for the securing screw that made it hard to use on many commercial pedals other than things like the Memory Man or Electric Mistress, and 3) that sucker was HUGE (to quote Tiny Elvis).

I also had a Small Clone that mysteriously disappeared somewhere and a Minisynth that I sadly felt compelled to sell off. I currently have an original Doctor Q, a Y-Triggered Filter, a Micro-Pog, a big-box recent issue Big Muff Pi, and recently purchased a new issue Attack Decay pedal. I've also made clones of the Small Stone, Bassballs, Hot Tubes, Sonic Boomer and CRash Pad for myself.
Those with a taste for nostalgia might get a kick out of this price list from 1981.
http://hammer.ampage.org/files/1981_E-H_pricelist.gif

So what are your feelings regarding the Attack/Decay Reissue?

TheBradster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TheBradster » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:56 am

MindMachine wrote: So what are your feelings regarding the Attack/Decay Reissue?
Not familiar with the original but really like the reissue. To start with I wasn't crazy about poly mode as I felt it coloured the sound too much, but I've got more used to it. Mono mode is still what I use most. As you say, it takes some work, and dialing in the sensitivity is key for me. I've played a bit with the FX loop but haven't really found a good use for this as of yet.

Also placement in the signal chain is pretty important - it doesn't seem to like being put after a compressor.

In a related story, just picked up a Riddle:QBalls for cheap and was very pleasantly surprised. Again, careful tweaking is required, if the start and stop controls aren't properly set it can be rather obnoxious.

I'm keen to combine these two :bananaguitar:

Geez, all of a sudden I have a bunch of EHX pedals!
Pulsar: love love love this.
Clone Theory: too noisy, never use.
Synth9: honestly don't use this enough to pass judgement, but can be fun in a chain with an octaver & fuzz.

/hijack

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Thinking about it, I stick with EH primarily 'cuz you can dial in cool sounds; and then pass freely into batsh*t-craaazyland. I have a bunch on my 'Bass board', including the Germanium OD, Pitchfork (Spot-on!) and Knockout (SUPER deep bass punch - a little goes a long way!); but just picked up a Mod Rex for my 'stereo process' board. That, along with a Platform (and a Strymon Deco...!), is my go-to fx chain (prior to dly/rvb) for my drum machines/synths. I love the fact that MR is stereo; with its MIDI clockability, can even do the ducking trance-like trem on pads. VERY cool.

My favorite old-boy pedal is the Flanger Hoax; as stated earlier, noisy as all getout (I use it with a noisegate) but absolutely spacey. [I still don't think I fully get it; and at this point, probably never will.]

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:17 am

TheBradster wrote:Clone Theory: too noisy, never use.
Good to know. That was a consideration. I remember that Roger Powell used an original unit back in the 80's. Maybe they just replicated the old days.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:23 am

Got my fourth one yesterday: BassBalls. I will eventually buy a more versatile envelope filter (probably the Enigma:Q-Balls, if I can't find a MF-101 at a decent price), but for now, the BB is fun and not as limited as I thought it could be.

I have also started using my 720 looper more; trying to get decent at building full songs using different acoustic percussions (cajon, darbuka, shakers, cymbals) and a keyboard.

The Bass Big Muff hasn't seen much action lately, since the Behringer SF-300 arrived and I discovered my old Bass POD does a pretty good job imitating the Muff.

Still want a Micro POG, but might just get the Epitome, which combines the uPOG an Electric Mistress and a Holy Grail.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:23 am

fac wrote: I have also started using my 720 looper more; trying to get decent at building full songs using different acoustic percussions (cajon, darbuka, shakers, cymbals) and a keyboard.
Very cool. The 720 has the backwards effect I believe. I use the old 360 Nano Looper a lot, since it is so portable. I covet the backwards of the 720.

I am banned from the EH website for a year. No more pedals (except for maybe trade a Particle for a Wardenclyffe).

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:10 am

Their tube mic pre is a pretty good one.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:49 am

MindMachine wrote: Very cool. The 720 has the backwards effect I believe. I use the old 360 Nano Looper a lot, since it is so portable. I covet the backwards of the 720.
Yeah, it has reverse and half-speed, both of which are very useful for ambient/drone stuff. But for simple song-building, what I really like is the separate stop/erase footswitch (no need for double-clicks and less prone to fuckups) and the fadeout feature. It also has an input for a triple-switch that can be used to switch banks or for undo/redo.

I used it yesterday in my band's rehearsal for the first time. We decided to go electro-acoustic for our next gig, so I'm playing hand percussions instead of drums. The looper works pretty well in about half the songs and lets me add more elements to it. If we do this regularly, I'll definitely add the triple-switch.

I'm done buying pedals for this year, but my next one will definitely be an Epitome. The few bass demos I've watched are pretty good. Then maybe another filter.

stimresp
Common Wiggler

Post by stimresp » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Guitar > Treble Booster > Bass Big Muff deluxe = :eek:

The Hazarai delay pedal is great with Synths, and sometimes I put a Ring Thing in-between.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:34 am

Sorry to bogart the thread but I have been having a few new/old EH discoveries...

Trying an old Roland TR-77 rhythm machine through the Attack Decay reissue split into a Fender Frontman 25 (via A/DA Final Phase) and the TR clean into an Acoustoc Bass amp. It sounds amazing. The Attack Decay is adding all kinds of harmonics and changing dynamics (before hitting the A/DA). I may be overdriving it a bit, but it adds a lot of tone to the TR on its own.

I'll be experimenting more with the Attack Decay and drum machines and sequenced analog synthesizers.

I use my Mel9 exclusively attached to my Roland RS-09 now. The mix sounds so unique. Less cheese and more wood.

Also, have the EH Graphic Equalizer married to my Yamaha YC Reface at this point. It's like having a second set of 'drawbars' and a better distortion. I pipe YC>EH GF>Boss RE-20>ART preamp>submix into mix.

Cannot say how impressed I am with the Crash Pad. Not an effect technically (or is it?). This thing is as versatile as a $200 euro drum module. Has filter you can process through. Has a cv pedal input. Versatile from snare to drum to cymbal to noise effects. I often patch it with my euro as another drum voice via Grids, GT-8 or any divider.

Need to hook up Ravish to my new rhythm machine and see what happens.

Analogizer may be the most overlooked EH pedal. Does what it is advertised to do and is also a good ambience adder, gain/distorter and tone changer.

All that said... I need to sell another half dozen EH pedals. They are all useful and great but I do not use them all enough. Resale value... :mrgreen:

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:32 am

Just bought the 720 Looper. Price, reverse and 1/2 time convinced me.

Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:48 pm

I just got a big box Frequency Analyzer used - hopefully it's fun.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Some new ones coming at NAMM.
Pitch Fork+ looks cool. I also have the 720 looper and am curious what the 1440 will add.
Also, a Big Muff with two output jacks? Hmm?

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:06 pm

Jason Brock wrote: I also have the 720 looper and am curious what the 1440 will add.
Also, a Big Muff with two output jacks? Hmm?
Very interesting. The 1440 has an "Octave" button, which might be octave down (1/2 speed) but maybe also octave up (2x speed), has a one-shot button and more interestingly, an "Ext Clk" button.... I wonder if it can sync to an analog clock.

The Muff appears to be a stereo version; there are two inputs and two outputs labeled "Mono/L" and "R".

The Pitch Fork+ has "Shift 1" and "Shift 2" settings, so... chords!

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:49 pm

I use the cathedral reverb since 6 years and am still in love with it.
The ways i can adjust the shape and tone of the verb on this is fun everytime I try to find a matching sound.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”