Electric Guitar pickups and Magnets

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

rkiwi
Learning to Wiggle

Electric Guitar pickups and Magnets

Post by rkiwi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:38 pm

anyone have any experience putting Magnets into their Electric Guitar :bananaguitar:
I was looking into it for a new type of sound or in use with the Whammy bar the Electric Guitar I am using is a Yamaha Pacifica. Two Singles and Hum-bucker.

I was thinking about getting Neodymium Magnets because how strong they are, and to put on above the top single pickup.

any of these should as they should fit under the pick guard. or do I go weaker? Ferrite (Ceramic) ? Also there was Magnetic Sheets.

But I was thinking about the whole electricity and the build up I don't want to blow my amp or my electric guitar.
>Back To The Future. :bananaguitar: :ripbanana: :doh:
[video] [/video]
RKiwi making music since I can't recall.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:05 am

Are you talking about replacing the magnets in the pickup? Or just slapping on the magnet in addition to the pickup’s? And what’s the objective? And how are you expecting to use it with your whammy bar?

rkiwi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rkiwi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:12 am

GuyaGuy wrote:Are you talking about replacing the magnets in the pickup? Or just slapping on the magnet in addition to the pickup’s? And what’s the objective? And how are you expecting to use it with your whammy bar?
in addition.
I wanted to make it repel off the whammy so lets say both sides are positivity the whammy bar pushes in and the magnet would push it back out creating some kind of new distortion.

as well as another one I was thinking to add between the two singles to maybe create some kind of weird lofi-shoegazey sound?

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:33 am

Won't a strong and fixed magnetic field simply deaden vibration?

Are you aware that pickups are coils of wire wrapped around magnets? The coils are vital in delivering the induced current. A static magnet won't achieve what I think you are trying to do although I can't really determine what you think will occur in the experiment.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:13 pm

Yeah adding a magnet will just draw the strings towards it making for a slightly duller tone, which is why a lot of players hate those 3 pickup Les Pauls. As for the Whammy I’m not clear on what you’re hoping for but it’s doubtful that the magnet will have enough pull to have any effect and it definitely won’t have an effect if it’s made from a non-ferrous metal like aluminum.

rkiwi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rkiwi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Kent wrote:Won't a strong and fixed magnetic field simply deaden vibration?

Are you aware that pickups are coils of wire wrapped around magnets? The coils are vital in delivering the induced current. A static magnet won't achieve what I think you are trying to do although I can't really determine what you think will occur in the experiment.
Yes I do understand a pick up is like an electric magnet.
It is more how the whammy bar will be able to create a new sound effect of sorts maybe?
GuyaGuy wrote:Yeah adding a magnet will just draw the strings towards it making for a slightly duller tone, which is why a lot of players hate those 3 pickup Les Pauls. As for the Whammy I’m not clear on what you’re hoping for but it’s doubtful that the magnet will have enough pull to have any effect and it definitely won’t have an effect if it’s made from a non-ferrous metal like aluminum.

I personally wanted a Fender Stratocaster but couldn't afford it at the time.
mmmhmmmmmmm.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:46 pm

Forget the magnets and just get a e-bow or variable speed power drill for the EVH electric motor interfering with the pickups thing that was a popular gimmick in the 90s.

Revok
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Revok » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:14 pm

You'll likely degauss your pickup magnets if they touch a neodymium magnet which will ruin them.

Minimoog56
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Minimoog56 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:43 am

Bad idea all around.
Beatniks and Bongos/Bagels and Bongos/Buchlas and Bongos...

de gustibus....

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”