JHS Colour Box V2

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Jason Brock
just visiting

JHS Colour Box V2

Post by Jason Brock » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:09 am

This looks interesting. I always wanted to try the original but never bought one. Then people started artificially hiking prices on the used market. This V2 has more features and costs the same as the original, $399. Seems like a great deal for a Neve style preamp and EQ that can also work with other instruments, and even be used a microphone preamp.

[video][/video]

BailyDread
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BailyDread » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:17 am

I have a JHS crayon, which is, I think, the gain stage of the original color box, or is derived from it

it's a great pedal for a very specific sound (fuzzy distortion that gates when you play very hard), but it's extremely noisy (like a weird, microphonic white noise that pings when you tap the pedal) and I haven't found much use for it otherwise. That one sound it does do well, it does great though, and I use it frequently for that sound. Haven't found anything that sounds like it.

at that price, i would just look at a Warm 1073 clone, which can be acquired for a hundred bucks more and is a fully-fledged mic preamp w/ studio EQ

just my two cents tho

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:16 pm

BailyDread wrote:at that price, i would just look at a Warm 1073 clone, which can be acquired for a hundred bucks more and is a fully-fledged mic preamp w/ studio EQ

just my two cents tho
Absolutely a great option, but to get EQ on the Warm Audio rack you need to step up to the $799 unit. The JHS has a Low Gain setting for mics, which wasn't on the V1 pedal, so it can supposedly act as a clean(ish) mic preamp too. I've ordered one so I'll report back regarding how it sounds with a microphone. I don't expect it to compete with high-dollar preamps, but I'm hopeful it can offer some cool sounds for the price.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I was keen on a Hudson Broadcast pedal but the EQ and other options are way more versatile on the colour box. Rad promo video from jhs.

Keen to hear your conclusions after using it for reals Jason

BailyDread
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BailyDread » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:30 pm

Oh I was mistaken about the price. Keep in mind the crayon is just one small part of the OG color box. I’m sure the color box has more to offer than just that. And even tho the crayon is pretty limited, the sounds it does are fantastic and truly dynamic to play though. I’m the kind of dude who likes when a pedal does one or two things really well rather than a bunch of stuff so so.

I’m sure your purchase will be very fruitful :mrgreen:

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:59 am

First test with a mic revealed what I figured would be the main problem: this thing has a very high noise floor once you start adding a decent amount of gain. It would be unusable as a mic pre on anything but the loudest sources. On a drum kit this would work great, but not an acoustic guitar for example.

I would be tempted to use whatever other quiet/clean mic preamp I had around, then go into the Colour Box at line level and set it for just a touch of saturation. The EQ is my favorite part of this pedal so far. The distortion, I'm on the fence about. So far it's best in moderation for some subtle color. It can easily be pushed beyond what I would want to use on most things.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:21 am

Thanks for the update. How does the eq interact with the distortion, noticeably? How much range is there in the overdrive? What does it inspire.you to put through it?

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:59 am

The short story is, I returned it.

But here were my impressions while checking it out. The EQ is great and wide-ranging, and boosting will definitely affect the drive of the pedal. There was some strange behavior when using the high pass. Turning up the high pass also introduced distortion sometimes? I couldn't figure that out.

I think it would be great on live drums, and maybe vocals. Two things I don't find myself recording much. I did not like it much on synths. On guitars, it does that Beatles "splatty" sound well, but that's not something I would use very often. I have a pile of pedals with lots of other distortion and fuzz voices that I would reach for first, so I couldn't justify keeping the JHS for the price.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:08 am

Thanks for the feedback JB. I too have plenty of other boxes to dirty signals.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:00 am

i chime in for further evaluation from other users since i got this on my list.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”