Catalinbread Echorec - noise from power supply.

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

EasyToAssemble
Learning to Wiggle

Catalinbread Echorec - noise from power supply.

Post by EasyToAssemble » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:05 am

I've just started putting together a basic pedal setup for my synths, and grabbed a Catalinbread Echorec, as it seemed to do the percussive delay-thing quite well.

The pedal wasn't sold with a power supply, so I bought a cheap third party 18V / negative-polarity adapter, listed as compatible with the Echorec. However, it's creating noise, both when switched on as well as clean. It's kind of a low hiss (as opposed to electrical hum).

I wonder if going for a 9v adapter instead might reduce the noise? Would the extra voltage of the 18v be a possible cause?

Does anyone have any suggestions of good UK power supplies that go well with Catalinbread pedals?. I'm willing to pay a little more if it's simply a case of buying a better power unit. I've heard about purifier units and units that reduce ground hum, but would rather avoid that extra expense unless it's unavoidable. Do i really need to consider those, or is it possible to avoid all that by simply buying a good quality, compatible power adapter?

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:15 pm

Power supplies for pedals can be hit or miss unless you pay for the good stuff. I've kind of given up on the cheap stuff, and have several voodoo lab power supplies here - they're expensive, but worth it. I've got a few older cheapo supplies, but there's always that one pedal that they either just don't work with, or another where the noise is too much.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

EasyToAssemble
Learning to Wiggle

Post by EasyToAssemble » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:18 am

sduck wrote:I've kind of given up on the cheap stuff, and have several voodoo lab power supplies here - they're expensive, but worth it.
Once my pedal board gets going, a multi-output isolated unit would be worth having. My aim is to record live as much as possible, and edit / mix within my DAW, so it could be a good investment. But my only gripe is that - even if I got one with a mix of 9v and 18v outputs, like some Voodoolabs units have - if my pedal chain requires further 18v ports, I'll need to buy another unit.

Maybe I'll see what Black Friday brings......

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”