DOD Rubberneck external tap mod

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Roge Piltoney
Common Wiggler

DOD Rubberneck external tap mod

Post by Roge Piltoney » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:39 pm

Hi everyone!
I recently bought the rubberneck delay and I have to say this thing sounds AMAZING.
It has an input for external tap, but seems to only work with the FS3X 3-switch pedal that DOD sells. I was hoping to come up with some way to mod a normal external tap to work with the rubberneck, and it seems like it's possible according to this article: https://delaydude.de/en/dod-rubberneck- ... tap-tempo/

However, i think it's translated by google from German, and I think some of the details are lost in translation. I can't really seem to make sense of it. Here's what it says:

"If you want to save space and don’t have an FS3X pedal you can also produce an adapter cable for the DOD Rubberneck.
For this you need a 1/4″ TS plug and a cable in the desired length.
You will have to connect ground to ground. Tip and ring of the TRS plug will have to be linked to the tip of the TS plug.
Now you can use the expression output of the DOD Rubberneck to connect the TRS plug with the DOD Rubberneck and the TS plug for a connection to an external tap pedal.
Tip and ring will stay constantly connected to the tip of the TS plug. When pressing the external footswitch (or the SMARTClock/Quartz Timer) the tip will be linked to ground and the tap signal will be send."

Any ideas what they are talking about? I'd like to be able to use an external tap with 2-3 outputs to sync multiple delays.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Sam

Edit:
wait I think i get it now :doh:
Does it just mean that one end of the cable is TS, the other TRS, and then you connect the tip of the TS to the tip and ring of the TRS? And then TRS goes into expression input, and TS into external tap?

New question:
How do I find out if the external tap is NO or NC?

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Re: DOD Rubberneck external tap mod

Post by Severed head » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:27 am

Roge Piltoney wrote: Any ideas what they are talking about? I'd like to be able to use an external tap with 2-3 outputs to sync multiple delays.
this might not work, but couldnt you create a sorta splitter cable, or like a multiple, and send it around that way?

also this is a cool looking pedal, I have an old DOD FX90, and have never been able to find a pedal that had the same tonal quality thinking this might do it. but all the demo are riffin it not anything near what I do so im not sure. but thinking it may be a close match.

also from the demos if I under stood right the guy said to turn of the modulation you have to have the external switch???
is that true from your experience? can you just turn the rate all the way down to a point its negligible? or so slow you can't really tell its a wrrble.
I see who that worble chorus can be useful but honest feel its a bit silly most folks who buy one pedal tend to have others and use a dedicated chorus.

last question for you (sorry for the 20 ?'s routine
but do you find the trim pots being so close to the foot switch to be a potential damage hazard?
im really band about heavy footing it or basically tripping over it on stage by forgetting I need to hit the button at the correct time so I never am right on target. so I was worried about that, seems like a tiny design flaw to have those so close. to one another.
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:30 pm

Pretty sure it's normally open. Roland and Boss seem to be the only oddballs using NC. You can test with a multimeter to be sure.

Might be useful to have switches so you can swap pedals without worrying about their polarity.

https://reverb.com/item/4894480-saturnw ... mally-open

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: DOD Rubberneck external tap mod

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:34 pm

Severed head wrote: also from the demos if I under stood right the guy said to turn of the modulation you have to have the external switch???
is that true from your experience? can you just turn the rate all the way down to a point its negligible? or so slow you can't really tell its a wrrble.
I see who that worble chorus can be useful but honest feel its a bit silly most folks who buy one pedal tend to have others and use a dedicated chorus.
You can just turn down Depth. Optionally you can set to taste then turn it off with an FS3X.

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:45 am

ah cool, I was figuring so, but the few demos I watched they explanaiton made it sound like it could only change the speed to slow.
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:06 pm

Nah, they've got those inner-outer knobs for modulation depth and rate and for gain / tone. I find them mildly irritating to fiddle with, but apart from tone they're mostly set and forget things so it's no big deal.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”