Distortion_Pedal

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

paparazzi
Learning to Wiggle

Distortion_Pedal

Post by paparazzi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:51 pm

Hi folks,
I'm a newcomer to an electric guitar. I was playing acoustic guitar for 3 years but never tried myself playing an electric guitar. Yesterday I turned 24 and my friends gifted me Yamaha Revstar RS320 :bananaguitar: :nana:
So I want to buy a distortion pedal. Which one do you recommend? I have $200 for this aim, don't look for an expensive one for training

Orgia Mode
Common Wiggler

Post by Orgia Mode » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:22 pm

If you just want distortion, you can probably get away with spending under 50.
I don't play guitar, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would suggest something a little more interesting to start out with. So many "guitar" amps come with distortion built-in from what Iv'e seen.

idk, maybe a reverb, delay or fuzz.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:19 am

If you want to experiment with effects but don't quite know what to get, I would suggest buying a cheap multi-fx pedal, like the Zoom G1 Four, and experiment with it. You'll find out which kind of distortions you like, and how they interact with other effects like chorus or reverb. Once you know what you like and learn to make your own effect chains, you can start exploring other (possibly better sounding) options.

paparazzi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by paparazzi » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:58 am

Orgia Mode wrote:If you just want distortion, you can probably get away with spending under 50.
I don't play guitar, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would suggest something a little more interesting to start out with. So many "guitar" amps come with distortion built-in from what Iv'e seen.

idk, maybe a reverb, delay or fuzz.
Do you think i can get smth good for this price? I found 2 cheap distortion pedals what do you think about them?
1. Dark Matter Distortion
2. Ibanez TS9B
For me, they both don't look reliable. I just need good sound and i hope it'll work for a year at least :D

paparazzi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by paparazzi » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:04 am

fac wrote:If you want to experiment with effects but don't quite know what to get, I would suggest buying a cheap multi-fx pedal, like the Zoom G1 Four, and experiment with it. You'll find out which kind of distortions you like, and how they interact with other effects like chorus or reverb. Once you know what you like and learn to make your own effect chains, you can start exploring other (possibly better sounding) options.
Thank you for reply, i'll think about it. I found Zoom G1 Four for $80, and it's cheaper then distortion pedal. I need to take a closer look at this one :eek:

commodorejohn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:09 am

Unless you're specifically looking for high-gain metal-type distortion or other specific, characteristic flavors (i.e. octave fuzz,) any decent amp should be able to overdrive enough to get you enough overdrive/crunchiness to start with. I'd go for a decent delay before bothering to look into specific distortion effects, personally.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:38 am

What kind of distortion and for what kind of music? Super saturated metal? Old school overdrive? And what amp do you use?

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:20 am

Yes, it would be helpful to know what sort of music, or what sort of sound you are going for. Maybe you can post a few Youtube links to sounds that you want to imitate?

I've owned/tried a ton of pedals. For example, one of my absolute favorites for a Marshall type sound is the Barber Direct Drive. $139 new, or around $100 used. It just simply sounds awesome, no matter if you dial in some light crunch or higher gain. I'm a big fan of the Pixies/Breeders and this pedal gets those sounds with my 15w amp set to clean.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/compactDD.html

Another great choice would be the tried and true ProCo RAT for $70 new. Used by every rock guitarist in the 80s, and plenty of others since.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rat2--pro-co-rat-2-distortion-fuzz-overdrive-pedal

Orgia Mode
Common Wiggler

Post by Orgia Mode » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:22 pm

yeah! Get a multi effect pedal.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:53 pm

You've listed your location as Boston - go to Guitar Center or whatever local music store suits you. Try out pedals. Pick one. Easy.

The three I'd start with would be the Ibanez tube screamer (regular one, not that bass optimized one you linked), the Proco Rat, and the EHX Big Muff. If I only got one suggestion I'd say go for the tube screamer.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”