BOSS SY-1 Synthesizer clock sync?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Mirrorad
Common Wiggler

BOSS SY-1 Synthesizer clock sync?

Post by Mirrorad » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:01 pm

My SY-1 just arrived today. I tested the sequencer modes using a Molten Voltage CTL-Sync - no success. The CTL-Sync works like a charm with EHX, Cusack Effects, and many others, but apparently not with BOSS 😒

I also tried using the EHX 8-Step in the other SY-1 banks, and that won't work either.

So does BOSS use some kind of proprietary expression and tap configuration that requires BOSS brand accessories?

Does anyone know any other method to sync this thing to a clock signal (MIDI or CV)?

The sounds are decent enough on this pedal, but the lack of compatibility with other gear really limits the creative potential.

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Re: BOSS SY-1 Synthesizer clock sync?

Post by Fallen_lassen » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:39 am

Just tried it with a ehx clockworks, does not work, and with a SQ-1. It works with gate,not with sync. And it is fiddly.
I just got the sy-1 so i will continu to experiment with different clocks/gates/sync signals.

Mirrorad
Common Wiggler

Re: BOSS SY-1 Synthesizer clock sync?

Post by Mirrorad » Wed May 13, 2020 4:23 pm

Great news for anyone researching. After some more fussing about, I finally got the SY-1 to sync with my Molten Voltage CTL-SYNC, and it works beautifully now.

First, the CTL-SYNC must be configured to the default setting (normal closed, midi channel 15). This was tricky for me because my unit was reverse of the instructions, adding a layer of confusion. To get the "1 pulse off" required a different knob configuration than what was listed in the manual.

Second, you'll need a 1/4" stereo Y splitter cable. The stereo end goes into the EXP/TAP jack of the SY-1, and the red mono end goes into the CTL-SYNC. The ratio knob must be set at 1/4 note or 1/2 note for stability.

Lastly, the process of syncing the SY-1 to the correct clock beat is manual (step on the pedal at the right moment to engage).

With this configuration, your MIDI clock source can now sync with the 2 sequencer banks on the SY-1 for maximum fun.

P.S. good luck locating the now discontinued Molten Voltage CTL-SYNC :waah:

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”