ARP Solina copy chorus pedal

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Just me
Has enough VCA's

ARP Solina copy chorus pedal

Post by Just me » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:22 pm

Does anyone make a pedal that replicates the triple chorus of the ARP Solina string ensemble? I had the prints for one years ago but never built it. Can't find them now. Was three different speeds combined somehow.
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

Dave Kendall
Set The Controls . . .

Re: ARP Solina copy chorus pedal

Post by Dave Kendall » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:45 pm

If you're OK with building it yourself there are 2 DIY projects out there that do the job.

The most recent is from Oakley Modular here: Oakley SRE 330

I haven't heard this one in person, but it is apparently excellent, and has a dedicated Triple Chorus mode for emulating the Solina sound, as well as allowing emulation of other types of chorus, so it's a very flexible unit, and is likely the easier build of the two.

Back in the day, Juergen Haible designed a PCB that does the Solina chorus extremely well - pretty much nails it. It also features a 3-band EQ section inspired by the Crumar Performer.

Random Source has PCBs for sale here : JH Triple Chorus
Documentation from JH's old legacy site here : Solina Chorus description

You'd need to source 3 TDA 1022 chips to build it though, and they can be quite hard to find.

D
"Everything in moderation, including moderation"

Just me
Has enough VCA's

Post by Just me » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:38 am

Well, that sure isn't going to happen! I no longer have the patience to even source the parts for a project like that anymore. With the loss of all the local electronics supply houses these things never get finished. I quit trying to get the parts and give up.
Underneath a foot of debris on my test bench is a 4" layer of unfinished pcb's. I should just scrape it all in the trash for the value in getting out of it.
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

JimY
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JimY » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:07 am

I found ensemble effect is disappointingly subtle with a clean guitar, but anyway...

The Solina originally made use of the TCA350Y BBD chips which were shorter delays than more modern ones. Something odd like 185 stage.
The usual excuse for not cloning it is that those BBD chips are long obsolete and the cheapest modern ones (MN3007/3207) are 1024 stage.
However, the ensemble effect is different from a normal chorus...

The clean signal is not heard. Only the mixed output from the 3 parallel delays are audible. This has headroom issues since the BBD's are easily clipped. In a string synth, it's easy to limit the signal level. The signal level in a guitar rig could be anything and there is no direct clean signal to "mask" any clipping. Adding a compressor/limiter on the input would probably be a good idea for guitar or a full compander system (which the better BBD effects use anyway).

The ensemble circuit changed to use other BBD chips when TCA350Y became obsolete. ARP used 512 stage devices until the Omni 2 which was really the final version. Other companies used 256 stage MN3009.

The actual delay due to the number of stages in the effect is almost irrelevant since its the relative difference in delay time between the BBD's that makes the sound, not the delay time from input to output. What a longer delay time does mean is that there can be a noticeable latency between playing and hearing - remember there is no clean direct sound to cover this. Also, a string synth is often played with a slowish attack time, so a delayed sound isn't so noticeable. Actually, the effect can be done with PT2399 delay chips and those can't even delay for as short a time as a 1024 BBD can.

To equal, or get close to the short delay of the original 185 stage BBD, the longer delay chips would need to be clocked faster. As it happens, the common 1024 stage MN3007 can equal a 512 since it can be clocked faster than the old chips. Modern Electric Mistress flangers use 1024 stage in place of the original 512stage. The Arp Omni ensemble chorus ought to be clonable.

Perhaps more important news is that Xvive now clones the once obsolete MN3009 256 stage BBD chip, so the Solina effect ought to be pretty well clonable too. The Xvive chips are not cheap. They are around 10 Euro/Pounds each.
Oddly, nobody is cloning a 512 stage which was a very common size in the BBD heyday.

hilldp44
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hilldp44 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:40 pm

I've been wishing for years that somebody would make a good multi-stage BBD ensemble pedal or at the very least a good plugin of one. Crazy how this isn't a thing with the amount of stuff being made right now!

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:54 am

You might want to have a look at this pedal:

https://neunaber.net/collections/pedals ... -chorus-ng

mmmcc666
Common Wiggler

Post by mmmcc666 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:25 am

The Digitech nautila is a multi voice chorus/flanger. I think it sounds quite close to the classic string machine multi choruses with certain settings.

kragg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kragg » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:32 pm

in rack :
Baloran the Triko
https://www.baloran.com/store/

or Elkorus

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”