Les Paul value question

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Les Paul value question

Post by daveholiday » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:24 am

I have a buddy who is going to an auction at this little hole in the wall place in rural SC. There is a Les Paul, serial number 71659612, Tobacco Starburst that will be on the block. In the pictures, the guitar looks to be in pretty good shape, (I apologize that I cant link any of the pics) but the biggest WTF issue is that someone airbrushed a incredible shitty dragon on the front, and an equally shitty cobra head on the back. I realize that that seriously degrades the value but I assume this could be removed and cleaned up. This may go for next to nothing but what would you guys think a proper max bid would be?

Thanks in advance!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

Kent
Large Member

Re: Les Paul value question

Post by Kent » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Link to the advert, please. There must be a listing or something, no?

It's hard to say, but 800 bucks? I'd have to see it and ascertain the condition, year, and other modifications.

MoogProDG
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MoogProDG » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:27 pm

It’s a 79 Norlin era. Do you know what model it is? Would be necessary to give you accurate advice.

You’ll have a hard time cleaning the shitty airbrushes without hurting the original finish. Since it’s a Norlin a refinish won’t really hurt the value too much if it is done well.

Find out what model and we can go from there.
____
_

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency, and vibration." - Tesla
BTByrd wrote:Know what's annoying? Making all your products bright fucking yellow and bespangling them with nutsacks. But I digress...

vav
Beer Master

Post by vav » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:29 pm

I'm gunna guess it's a Deluxe or a Custom. Those are usually in the 2700-3500 range, so i'd think it'd be around the 1800-2500. Pics would help a lot tho
Vactrols are the electronic equivalent of being drunk. -decaying.sine

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:48 pm

Deluxe

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:33 pm

I think I've seen pictures of this guitar, perhaps on Trogly's guitar show on youtube. Yes, this one is going to be a problem - unless you can find that one or two people who actually like that dragon on there, and sell it to them, it's going to sit. You're not going to get that dragon off with a refinish job. And refinishing it, while it may not sound like not such a big deal, is actually a lot of hassle for one of these, especially a deluxe with binding on the front and back and neck and headstock. Having refinished guitars myself, one of these would be the last thing I'd want to do this to. Getting the old finish off without damaging the binding is a HUGE hassle. And you have to consider that a refinished les paul of this era is going to end up being worth next to nothing if you ever want to resell it. So basically my opinion is that unless you already have experience refinishing, and the equipment and time to do so, and don't care what you end up with, to skip it.

I will add that one of the better les pauls I've played on was one that had the finish removed for whatever reason, and was left natural. So if you're into that sort of thing, maybe this might be a candidate? But again, there is the binding problem - once the finish is removed, the binding is going to be sticking out a bit, which might be a problem.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:17 am

Just an update for those who might be curious, the Les Paul sold for 1500. My buddy who went to the auction got to see the guitar in person, and said the pictures didn't really show the true condition of the guitar itself (pretty rough). And he said the airbrushed dragon on the front and the cobra head on the back were even more shit seeing them in person! I'm no expert at all about any of this (neither is he), but my gut feeling is that that thing went for way more than it was worth!

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:32 pm

This type of old but not classic era guitar (both Fender and Gibson) are massively overvalued, IMO. No star from the late 60s/70s/early 80s played them, because 1) they'd have been broke coming up and bought an old pawn shop guitar- not new off the shelf/ out of the catalog and 2) anyone with a clue would have known the older pawn shop joints were significantly better made anyways. Old "because old" is not really a good reason to buy a $2k+ guitar.

The idiots hawking mid 70s LPs don't have a clue - it's not that people "like" 57 LPs because they are 60yrs old (therefore a 77 should be 2/3 as good, right?) they like them because they were made in a non-current/ less industrialized way, they were like handmade guitars but by a team of people. The Heritage is the only company who makes anything in that way/ price point today ... the custom shop Gibson/ fender stuff is high quality no doubt but also way out of wack with the average income in this country.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”