Favorite Envelope/Wah pedal

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Jd1979
Common Wiggler

Favorite Envelope/Wah pedal

Post by Jd1979 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:06 pm

I would like to get thoughts from people in what their favorite wah or envelope pedal or rack effect is. I have been playing bass for many years and have found home with two different envelopes. The love tone meatball and the mutator. Would love to hear from the group.

Minimoog56
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Favorite Envelope/Wah pedal

Post by Minimoog56 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:54 am

Analogman envelop filter, Earthquaker Spacial Deliverary (adds Sample Hold as well as envelop filter), RMC Teese Wah's (the less switches and knobs added the better), and Colorsound Wahs. Also the 2nd version Xerograph Plus by Iron Ether is a wonderful expressive pedal. Mutrons in all their flavors are the king beast. I had a Meatball but did not gel with it hard to dial in a good slow filter, again too many knobs and switches - simpler is better. Emma also has a nice filter.
Beatniks and Bongos/Bagels and Bongos/Buchlas and Bongos...

de gustibus....

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:40 pm

WMD Superfatman. Amazing set of controls to the thing. Though the best "quacks" I know of would be the old Frostwave "Funk-a-Duck" - the thing is a killer!

funeralcake
Learning to Wiggle

Post by funeralcake » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:01 am

I haven't owned a lot of envelope pedals but recently purchased an Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe.

It's a lot of fun. I mostly use it for fast, squiggle-y stuff and synth bewps, though. It fits the bill for what I want; It's expressive, as mentioned, and it can be very liquid-sounding when set properly. Easily the best pedal of this type that I've ever owned or used! Great for noise, but I haven't used it much in traditional contexts. Not really the typical off-the-shelf auto-wah sound, at any rate.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:00 am

I've never really gelled with autowah things. I listened to too much Grateful Dead in my checkered youth, and whenever I use it or hear it I think Jerry Garcia in "Estimated Prophet" or "Dancing in the Streets".

I've been through maybe a dozen wah pedals, including some boutique things, but the one that's lasted is the Morley Bad Horsie. The only other one that I have currently is the roland v-wah, which is a pretty great pedal, partly because it has a fantastic sounding univibe setting.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:15 am

Of what I own, my favorite auto is the old Boss Dynamic Filter FT-2. For a Wah pedal I very recently obtained a Dunlop Bass Wah 105Q Full Size and it is very nice.

I had a DOD Envelope Filter pedal and it was a joke.

I think the Mutron is the measuring stick.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29 am

I don't have much experience with filters. I have an EHX BassBalls and a Dunlop Bass Cry Baby. I like them both, especially when I put a fuzz before the filters. The Bassballs can get real funky. I really want to get a Moog MF-101 but each day it seems less likely. I've also considered the EHX Enigma Q-Balls.

I've run my bass through the modular with great results, but it's not practical. I have yet to run bass through the Electrix Filter Factory, but I'm sure it should be fun.

Jd1979
Common Wiggler

Post by Jd1979 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:40 pm

Two envelopes come to mind for me: the lovetone meatball and the guyatone ultron. Both are incredible optical envelopes packed with tone.

slam
Common Wiggler

Post by slam » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:14 am

My current favorite is the Broughton Josh Wah. I used to own an EHX Q-Tron and sold it for some stupid reason. I remember it being excellent.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”