I'm addicted to Phasers.

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Crowyote
Wiggling with Experience

16 stage phaser

Post by Crowyote » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:43 am

Is anyone using the Pittsburgh Modular 16 stage phaser?

I am curious to hear about experiences . . .

maltemark
Ultra Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:12 am

I have got a pittsburgh. Not long enough to have explored it fully. I am very satisfied with the tone. Many fun things to do involving self-resonance.

AlanP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AlanP » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:37 am

Clone of the Lovetone Doppelganger lives on my pedalboard :) the dual LFO option is always in use!

I need to get a 5U rack going, so I can power up the JH Tau Pipe I built a while ago.

justintonation
Common Wiggler

Post by justintonation » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:29 am

I think my favourite phaser would have to be the ehx small stone. Have a listen to tame impala which uses this pedal everywhere.

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:42 am

I'll just put this here :party:

[video][/video]

healingproperties
Common Wiggler

Post by healingproperties » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:20 pm

EHX Polyphase is definitely worth a look

boxxgrooved
Veteran Wiggler

Post by boxxgrooved » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:05 pm

One of the nicest pads I have ever created was running a Roland RS-09 in heavy chorus mode through a Moog MF103 phaser and then into a MF101 lowpass. The resonance in those Moog circuits does some crazy things

I used to have an Akai MFC42 which had a sweet phaser. I still don't know to this day why I sold that thing. Analogue fx unit with stereo 2 or 4 pole filter, phaser, distortion, eq, midi clocked LFO and triggerable envelope. Its hard to find tnem now.

MoogProDG
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MoogProDG » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:51 pm

While it may not be a "Phaser" by definition, I usually always prefer what I can dial up in any eventide hardware for a phase tone.

ANY 2 identical phasers on a stereo source - Bi Phasing is a totally different world. Buy 2.. of anything. Boss whatever. If you are applying them to a stereo signal you can get some amazing sounds here.

When I don't go eventide or bi-phase, and it's a very specific don't - I want a shitty phaser sound before my distortion or fuzz tone in the signal path.. I took a retrosonic phaser. The 3 knob one- basically a phase 90. Cheap, Decent quality build, small size, and easy to take apart. I swapped most of the caps for ceramics, used old allen bradley cc resistors/worse quality parts basically, and modified the depth/intensity so when the pot was fully ccw the phase is barely there. It also has something like 12-16dB boost available so I can goose the drive pedals. It's a good one.

choice_of_meat
Common Wiggler

Post by choice_of_meat » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:21 pm

I've had a lot of good phasers.. Empress, Cusack, EHX, toadworks, red witch, guyatone, diamond, pigtronix, ouch... I went through the whole must try all pedals phase for a year or so.
Heard many more directly as my friend went through another 10, infanem, Moog, infiniphaze, etc..

And realized I like the Maestro PS-1A phase shifter sound, so I bought a
Heptode Virtuoso phaser, and it's awesome. Simple three speeds that glide into each other each with it's own switch and fun lights!

Really I love the sound, I love not having to think too much about it.. nor having tap tempo.

Angelo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Angelo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:20 pm

I've got the Maestro PS-1a and I love it. It cuts off a lot of high end when bypassed however. When I got it I had to adjust the trimmers inside to make it right again but once I did, the yellow middle switch was the money. And the auto-ramping is really sweet. Very innovative for the first "phaser" pedal from 1972.

I highly recommend phaser fans delve into the world of univibes though if you haven't. I'm waiting for the awakening period where people start building really crazy univibes like they do with phasers.

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:57 am

choice_of_meat wrote: And realized I like the Maestro PS-1A phase shifter sound, so I bought a
Heptode Virtuoso phaser, and it's awesome. Simple three speeds that glide into each other each with it's own switch and fun lights!

Really I love the sound, I love not having to think too much about it.. nor having tap tempo.
Yeah - this thing just sounds perfect. No controls over parameters, but all three speeds are just perfect. I tried the Moog phaser last out of all the ones out there and the Heptode and Moogerfooger cover every phase desire I have.

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:02 am

I prefer mothers to phasers

AlanP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AlanP » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:26 pm

The way the PS-1A glides between speeds really is nice. (I've built a copy of one.)

Angelo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Angelo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:26 pm

AlanP wrote:The way the PS-1A glides between speeds really is nice. (I've built a copy of one.)
When yours is bypassed, is the signal affected much, as in any loss of treble if the Maestro wasn't in the signal chain?

MrDys
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MrDys » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:03 pm

Wow. I just love the sound of the Heptode. Hmmmm...
darenager wrote:I wonder how many people with Maths don't know it can file a tax return, or that Plague Bearer can indeed give bears the plague
suitandtieguy wrote:STG IS ALL ABOUT THE PLUR.

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:05 pm

kind of related but does anyone own a maestro phaser footsitch and would be willing to take pictures of inside? PM me please and thank you!! :hail:
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

AlanP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AlanP » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:38 am

Angelo wrote:When yours is bypassed, is the signal affected much, as in any loss of treble if the Maestro wasn't in the signal chain?
I used a 3PDT true bypass switch in place of the Slow stomp, and wired the Slow permanently on.

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:08 am

I really love the sound of the roland sph 323
Anyone knowz close sounding alternatives.
Most phasers i've heard doesnt compete or just doesnt sound close

keyskong
Learning to Wiggle

Post by keyskong » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:50 pm

The Maestro PS-1A is definitely worth your time if you're going through a phase right now. The organic ramping up and down of the speed is sublime.

loopt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by loopt » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:11 pm

andrewF wrote:I'll just put this here :party:
Fuck, yeah!

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Fri May 13, 2016 12:39 am

Hi, is this Phasers Anonymous? I have a problem.

Makes a great stereo send/return for my DAW.

peaches27
Common Wiggler

Post by peaches27 » Fri May 13, 2016 8:48 am

I just love the Chase Bliss Wombtone, its based on half of a Bi-Phase.

Square wave pulsing makes for the happiest jams.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Fri May 13, 2016 10:07 am

Do any of you phaser fans have any experience of the CGS Phaser?

Thanks
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Wed May 18, 2016 8:13 am

love phasers too, have few pedals, tc phaser VII reissue, great one, red witch moon phaser which is a more subtle one, source audio orbital, this quite nice for a digital one, less fake sounding than some other digital ones and quite powerful, in modular fcuk phaser, great one, hope to get some more, lately been creating my own phaser, notch with my qmmg as 2x lp and 2hp, than mixed negative to original, gets more great with fm on the filters or when not fming, play with more agressieve reso,bit more work to fine tune, but you can get some fine results, a bit more bandpass like phasing

Cowabunga-man
Common Wiggler

Post by Cowabunga-man » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:01 pm

I'm using a 4ms phaseur fleur at the moment wich is cool. And versatile. But what I really would like is an old Boss ph1r. 4 stages, no more no less :)

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”