I'm addicted to Phasers.

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

rauch
Common Wiggler

Post by rauch » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:39 am

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:19 pm

There's been a few mentions in this thread of using two phasers as a stereo pair. Anyone who's experimented with this care to comment?
I like the idea for string synths and pads, and have return channels on my mixer free.

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:25 am

Still a prototype with a cheap paint job - hopefully, out by the end of the year.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:11 am

Technologear? wrote:There's been a few mentions in this thread of using two phasers as a stereo pair. Anyone who's experimented with this care to comment?
I like the idea for string synths and pads, and have return channels on my mixer free.
I tried it with two different models of phaser pedals and it sounded like you would think. I'm guessing two of the same phasers would be much better. I'm not that committed at this point to own two of the same phaser.

I'm thinking my next phaser purchase will be a simple EH Bad Stone or MXR Phase 100. I really like them both and prefer the simple phasers to the more complex boutique ones I think.

Those Behringer knock-offs look attractive for an experiment like you mention.

I currently use a Castle Instruments Phaser III for specific duties, an EH Small Stone for string synth and Micromoog (on which I used to use the Boss PH-3. I may replace the PH-3 with either a Badstone or Phase 100).
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Sleipnir
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sleipnir » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:04 am

Technologear? wrote:There's been a few mentions in this thread of using two phasers as a stereo pair. Anyone who's experimented with this care to comment?
I do it a couple of different ways:
If you have 2 phasers that can use ext LFOs, then you sync to each other (with slightly different color/regen settings) for a cool feeling of movement.

Easy mode is the Moogerfooger — plugging in the aux output splits 6 each of the 12 phases between the aux/main for a very cool but subtle shift, but that’s mono in/stereo out; not so great for a mixer send. You can kind of recreate that if you have something like the Serge Resonant EQ where the eq bands can be sent to different outs, then phase them separately.

Obvious Jarre-style is put the mono phaser into a planner and have it swim around the stereo field. The shifting almost feels like front/back, so it’s a trippy almost quad feeling.
:zen: :zen:

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:29 pm

EH Stereo Polyphase does the stereo phase thing all in one box. It's optical and can use ext CV.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:11 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm GASing for X2 ehx small stones to trial this experiment, but as MM said above I'm not committed enough (or have that level of disposable income). I most want to try non synced LFO rates, just slightly off sync, I'm imagining it being deeply trippy in a 'new wave psychedelic' way, not in that nice old school 60s psychedelic way. More extreme the better.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:28 pm

Well if you are not averse to buying the Behringer version, you can get two of them for about $40-60 (used/new). Their version sounds pretty good. Not sure on their noise level. Only heard on-line.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:19 pm

GrantB wrote:EH Stereo Polyphase does the stereo phase thing all in one box. It's optical and can use ext CV.
This. If EHX doesn't put independent non-linked LFOs into their stereo phaser, it means that we probably wouldn't want to hear that effect. I came to this conclusion from trialling my '2 separate phasers' experiment using my Digitakt, using LFO to modulate filter resonance on 2 instances of a short loop, hard panned. Everything was equal on both channels except rate.
When the rates were slow and very similar, it sounded 'ok but not great'. Like a pad that disappears into the background of the mix once you bring in other elements because it isn't appealing enough to be the focus of attention.
Fast rates or more dissimilar rates per channel sounded annoying.

MindMachine said something like 'it sounded like you'd think' - yep.

I'll grab a Polyphase soon

Joey P.
Common Wiggler

Post by Joey P. » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:22 am

Once I discovered that phase before distortion is way more subtle, I became a fan for guitar. Great way to add movement to lead tones while remaining articulate. Only caveat is finding a phaser with low self noise. Retro Sonic phaser fits that bill for me.

CosmicFlight
Common Wiggler

Post by CosmicFlight » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:28 pm

My fav Phasers are the Roland PH-830, JH Tau Pipe Phaser and Hordijk dual phaser.
The PH is so creamy, JH Tau Pipe is awesome for its depth and Hordijk surgical and more precise than the two first.
Had a Bi-Phase clone in the past but did not like it

L13
Learning to Wiggle

Post by L13 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:28 pm

eddie van halen's use of the script logo mxr phase 90 was incredible!
it was more like a cocked wah /filter and that sound is his forever.

not many dudes can get away with using one without instantly sounding like him, so in a way evh opened and shut the door for phaser use on leads in a hard rock context

onrust nv
Common Wiggler

Post by onrust nv » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:44 pm

I've used a korg SQ-1 gate signal and 2 CV signals to have my Moog MF-103 do drumbeats

https://soundcloud.com/onrust-nv/mf-103 ... industrial

Works great with a cheap fuzz

:domodance: :domodance:
ONRUST NV REAL ANARCHO INDUSTRIAL AUDIO

johnstilton
Common Wiggler

Re: I'm addicted to Phasers.

Post by johnstilton » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:05 pm

I have an Original Mu-Tron Phas0r 2 and an MXR Phase 100. my favorite way to use them is to put a tube screamer before both of them, set the Mu-Tron to a very slow sweep and then the MXR to a significantly faster sweep. I play Bass.

the Mu-Tron Brand has been resurrected recently and had a very limited re-release of a bi-phase ($+500), and they even teased a Bi-Phase 2 at NAMM this Winter!

freakynorth
Common Wiggler

Post by freakynorth » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:33 am

johnstilton wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:05 pm
I have an Original Mu-Tron Phas0r 2 and an MXR Phase 100. my favorite way to use them is to put a tube screamer before both of them, set the Mu-Tron to a very slow sweep and then the MXR to a significantly faster sweep. I play Bass.

the Mu-Tron Brand has been resurrected recently and had a very limited re-release of a bi-phase ($+500), and they even teased a Bi-Phase 2 at NAMM this Winter!

I’ve been interested in these reissues..!
I have an OG Phasor II as well. The slow sweep on it is incredible! I tend to set it up that way too.
it sounds good on anything you throw at it!

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:00 pm

ADA Final Phase is the best phaser ever in my opinion. Unforgivingly dynamic, just after a compressor, in front of a distortion and overdrive and a high headroom amp... It's sensational.

freakynorth
Common Wiggler

Post by freakynorth » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:16 pm

Thorsday wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:00 pm
ADA Final Phase is the best phaser ever in my opinion. Unforgivingly dynamic, just after a compressor, in front of a distortion and overdrive and a high headroom amp... It's sensational.
I’ve wanted to try one..! I didn’t know they existed until I was looking at the A/DA Flangers.
We all know that is one of the best flangers ever so final phase has GOT to be good! I don’t see anyone using them really...?

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:28 pm

freakynorth wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:16 pm
Thorsday wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:00 pm
I’ve wanted to try one..! I didn’t know they existed until I was looking at the A/DA Flangers.
We all know that is one of the best flangers ever so final phase has GOT to be good! I don’t see anyone using them really...?
They require a lot of pedalboard real estate and have a mains 120V plug attached to it.

The overdrive is switchable and also outstanding. If You see it used, swoop it. My basis of comparison is also owning Moogerfooger MF-103, MXR Phase 95, and Eventide H8000FW... The ADA Final Phase is my go-to Phaser. I also have the full size Flanger. These 2017 reissues are top
quality.

thee ghost ov n_phay
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by thee ghost ov n_phay » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:55 pm

Technologear? wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:19 pm
There's been a few mentions in this thread of using two phasers as a stereo pair. Anyone who's experimented with this care to comment?
Some years ago I built 5 x JH "Krautrock Phaser" pedals, and tried this, IE I took the output of my Korg Lambda string machine, split the output, fed it into 2 x identically-set phasers with only the rate differing, and panned the outputs of the phasers nice and wide. The result was completely underwhelming, so much so that I didn't even bother recording it.. I also got a Digitech Studio 400 for cheap a few years ago, and put together a patch with four or eight - i forget - phasers all going at slightly differing rates, with the outputs spread across the stereo field. Again, very uninspiring. Very dissapointing!

On the other hand, a technique I've tried out when recording my string machine is to double-track the part, with the tuning tweaked very slightly and either altering the speed of the phaser very slightly or tweaking the phaser rate a bit as you play. That sounds awesome, with a serpentine quasi-panning effect running along with the sound.

No idea why such a similar technique gives such differing results and of course other people's experience may differ, but there you go.
Last edited by thee ghost ov n_phay on Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks phay, I appreciate your reply!

chrisryan15
Common Wiggler

Post by chrisryan15 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:30 pm

I have an old systech phase shifter thats pretty nice, I also have been using my ensoniq dp/4 for some nice phasing effects. People say that daft punk used the dp/4 phaser for some of their stuff, but I've been able to get some other nice sounds from it too! very programmable.

I've always kind of wished for a moogerfooger phaser, but now that the prices are so out there I've been thinking about it less and less :roll:

freakynorth
Common Wiggler

Post by freakynorth » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:23 pm

chrisryan15 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:30 pm

I've always kind of wished for a moogerfooger phaser, but now that the prices are so out there I've been thinking about it less and less :roll:
The Lovetone Doppelganger and Moog phasers are close enough in price that I think I’d rock the Lovetone if I had to choose. I almost got a Doppelganger on a few different occasions in trades etc.
I’m pretty satisfied with the Phasor II though. Does exactly what I want!

chrisryan15
Common Wiggler

Post by chrisryan15 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:42 pm

freakynorth wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:23 pm
chrisryan15 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:30 pm

The Lovetone Doppelganger and Moog phasers are close enough in price that I think I’d rock the Lovetone if I had to choose. I almost got a Doppelganger on a few different occasions in trades etc.
I’m pretty satisfied with the Phasor II though. Does exactly what I want!
Thats fair! I've kept my eyes off the the doppelgänger since just now because of the price tag, but it looks like its stereo? Having a stereo analog phaser setup would be pretty ideal!

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:14 pm

I own a Lovetone Doppelganger mkII. It has a huge range of possibilities, from very subtle to obvious double-phasing. It's has its own way to enhance pretty much anything you run through it. Made my JX-3P sounds better than the Polysix. Personally, I do appreciate its subtle sound.

About stereophony, it's not a real LR output, but a direct out. I'm nt so familiar with pedals in a guitar context, but I think it has something to do with dual amplifier setup. Maybe I'm missing something...

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”