Ring Modulator pedals?

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:43 pm

scozbor wrote:EHX ring thing is a little too big.
It's one hell of a lot smaller than the MoogerFoogers, of which I have owned both the Mooger and the Mini.
scozbor wrote:Can you verify that it only does the auto-tune thing per note when you hold down the footswitch?
The Ring Thing can be set up to track or "auto tune" ... or not. I'd highly suggest reading the manual which is available on the EHX website. I've made my own ring mods, bought at least a half dozen ring mods (modular and stompbox types), and the Ring Thing is easily the best one of all that I've owned. The 'Foogers were very disappointing. The next best one is the Doepfer Dual Ring mod (as far as how it sounds), however it requires other resources to really take full advantage of it.

Connectivity is worth nothing if the device sounds like ass. Look into the Ring Thing ... the worst that can happen is you won't like it.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:47 pm

This thread got me wondering what ring modulator John McLaughlin used on the first few minutes of "On The Way Home To Earth" on Mahavishnu's album Visions Of The Emerald Beyond. I've always assumed it was some early pedal or maybe a custom device but I couldn't find any info. There was a couple places where he seemed to say he was using a rack mount Sony DPS-M7 Sonic Modulator but that didn't come out until the early 90's so obviously he wasn't using it in the mid 70's! :hihi:

I really love the whole album but what I love about this particular piece is not so much the ring modulator solo (although the single notes or chords at the first major transition are particularly awesome :hail: ) but the overall structure is what really gets me. It starts out with a somewhat free form drum jam with the RM solong, then transitions into a more focused high energy drum and bass jam with a mostly normal guitar solo sound and then near the end some rhythmically( and even harmonically?) unrelated orchestral type chords fade in as the bass & drum jam fades out and at a certain point during the cross fade John seamlessly transitions from soloing over the jam to soloing over the chords. Probably a very acquired taste thing and I've been listening to it since the late 70's but I came to appreciate it as brilliant! :love: Sorry for the digression . . . . the Red Bull I drank kicked in! :oops:
[video] [/video]

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:25 pm

... yuh ... Jeff Beck is and pretty much always has been a prolific ring mod user. (My comment was inspired by John's trip back to the rock era of all eras .. the 1970s).

:sb:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:53 pm

the original FA is still my favorite.
my other favs:

prscrptn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by prscrptn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:27 am

megamaeng wrote:Fairfield Circuitry Randy's Revenge sounds amazing and has cv inputs.
[video][/video]

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:38 am

Pricey ($375 USD), but the ELTA String Ringer sounds amazing and can get nuts.

The String Ringer, from Elta Music, is a classic LT 44 transformer ring modulator. It is a modern replica of the Lovetone Ring Stinger. It has 1/4" connections for almost every parameter, making it essentially a module that can be interfaced with any 1/4" gear (or 3.5mm with converters). It has a built in modulator LFO, as well as a VCO to be used as either the Carrier or Modulator. There are three foot switches for LFO on, Bypass/Active, and Oct/ring.
http://www.eltamusic.com/stringringer

[video][/video]

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:12 pm

Not as upscale like the String Ringer, but an interesting alternative would be Pigtronix's Mothership - the first version floats around the web for about $200, a tad cheaper and easier to find than the aforementioned box.

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:16 pm

Yeah the elta ring stinger was on my list.

:miley:

But not sure I can justify the size...

Although I may reconsider as I have a fair bit of CV going on with my other pedals, and the connectivity of the ring stinger would be welcome!

Is the pigtronix ringmaster just the ring mod cut out of the mothership?

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:32 am

scozbor wrote: Is the pigtronix ringmaster just the ring mod cut out of the mothership?
It seems so - I have the bigger, bulkier first version - this one seems to be somewhat similar, but probably with improved features - haven't seen a comparison though.

pricklyrobot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:07 pm

thetwlo wrote:the original FA is still my favorite.
So, does the Frequency Analyzer do some unique sounds that the Ring Thing doesn’t nail?

I always assumed the Ring Thing was a FA with added features. But I guess it could be a different design entirely... :hmm:

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:11 pm

I had the frequency analyzer and the MoogerFooger Ring Mod.
They are both great, but I sold the Moogerfooger and kept the EHX.
The FA is just more aggressive sounding.
Even with all the CV inputs and such the Moog seems like it kind of smoothes out the ring mod effect to make it more harmonically pleasing.
I just never got anything happening with a patch between the Lowpass, Ring Mod and Murf that I really cared for. (not saying it isn't possible)

I still like the Moog ring mod effect on bass guitar as a kind of over the top flanger type effect. But I couldn't justify owning as many pedals as I did at one point. So all my Moogerfoogers went away, as did most of my Boss pedals.

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:48 am

I have, and like, the Subdecay Vitruvian Mod. It's got a pitch tracker, so you can do relatively predictable "weird harmonizer" type effects, or you can turn the tracking off and get classic ringmod. The tracking is monophonic which means that you can also play chords into it to make random wibbly noises, which is kind of fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Other stuff I looked at before getting it that hasn't already been mentioned included the Adventure Audio Outer Rings (big, mad, complicated) and the DOD Gonkulator (ring mod / distortion).

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:15 am

calaveras wrote:I had the frequency analyzer and the MoogerFooger Ring Mod.
They are both great, but I sold the Moogerfooger and kept the EHX.
The FA is just more aggressive sounding.
I think that is the one Devo used in the 1970's.Smart Patrol/ Mr. DNA perhaps.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:05 am

pricklyrobot wrote:
thetwlo wrote:the original FA is still my favorite.
So, does the Frequency Analyzer do some unique sounds that the Ring Thing doesn’t nail?

I always assumed the Ring Thing was a FA with added features. But I guess it could be a different design entirely... :hmm:
it sounds quite different. I love the Ring thing, but it will never sound like the AD533 chip, even the modern version of that AD633, I don't think sounds as great-- the Effexon uses that as does the newer FA's. it might be the other circuits around them, but e AD533 is my fav, that said, the Ring Thing does so much!!! Love it, just different.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:26 am

megamaeng wrote:Fairfield Circuitry Randy's Revenge sounds amazing and has cv inputs. No auto pitch tracking though.
what chip is it using?

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:20 am

Oakley should make a pedal version of their RM w/ included sine on a channel.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

cloudscapes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cloudscapes » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:54 am

I made my own recently, based on a weird idea (though I guess not as weird for the modular world. :mrgreen:

Quad-oscillator, quadrature amplitude modulated, digitally-controlled ad633. Only finished it a couple weeks ago and have had fun using it for drones mainly!

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:40 pm

amazing work cloudscapes :love: :hail:

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 am

I have a few ring modulators. I don’t use them but I have this urge t collect them. One day I’ll find a use.

I’ll second the Ring Thing. This has to be the most versatile and practical ring mod. It does everything from your classic ring mod sounds to tremolo and vibe like sounds.where most Ring mods would only be good for that special occasion the Ring Thing is good for all occasions.

I have a Zvex Ring Tone. It’s an 8 step sequencer that controls the carrier frequency. Super neat, the secret mix control on the inside is super useful. You can put it in step mode. This allows you to step through the sequencer steps with the second footswitch.

I also have a Snarling Dogs Psychoscumatic Wah. It’s a wah and a ring mod all in one. You can switch on the wah, the ring mod, or both. It’s pretty cool. You can control the carrier frequency with your foot. The wah sounds good too. The wah and ring sounds great also.

Figures
Common Wiggler

Post by Figures » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:54 pm

I wish one sounded like the korg 700s ring mods, don't know how they work or what's used but they sure do sound great.

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:36 am

This looks so damn cool! :goo:
cloudscapes wrote:I made my own recently, based on a weird idea (though I guess not as weird for the modular world. :mrgreen:

Quad-oscillator, quadrature amplitude modulated, digitally-controlled ad633. Only finished it a couple weeks ago and have had fun using it for drones mainly!

kinkycables
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkycables » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:04 am

VauxFlores wrote:Just remembered this outfit from the Dominican Republic:

http://www.copilotfx.com/products.html

Haven't tried any of these wares myself, but always down to help disseminate electronics from the Latin sphere.
Great pedals, great customer service. Buy with confidence.

johnstilton
Common Wiggler

Post by johnstilton » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:59 pm

I tried out an Outer Rings by Adventure Audio at KnobCon 2019 and had fun with it. It had cv inputs and an expression pedal input but I did not use any of these. I see that there are not any in stock on their website. The circuit designer was at KC and indicated that a new version is in the works.

cloudscapes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cloudscapes » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:48 pm

zolar_czakl wrote:This looks so damn cool! :goo:
Thanks! Here's a clip of it used partly as a sound/drone source (osc out mix), as a ringmod (ebowed guitar) and mangled with a zellersasn

https://soundcloud.com/cloudscapes/explorations-ringmod

guitargyro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by guitargyro » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:58 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
scozbor wrote:EHX ring thing is a little too big.
It's one hell of a lot smaller than the MoogerFoogers, of which I have owned both the Mooger and the Mini.
scozbor wrote:Can you verify that it only does the auto-tune thing per note when you hold down the footswitch?
The Ring Thing can be set up to track or "auto tune" ... or not. I'd highly suggest reading the manual which is available on the EHX website. I've made my own ring mods, bought at least a half dozen ring mods (modular and stompbox types), and the Ring Thing is easily the best one of all that I've owned. The 'Foogers were very disappointing. The next best one is the Doepfer Dual Ring mod (as far as how it sounds), however it requires other resources to really take full advantage of it.

Connectivity is worth nothing if the device sounds like ass. Look into the Ring Thing ... the worst that can happen is you won't like it.
Curious what you didn’t like about the Moogerfooger? It’s probably singlehandedly responsible for me getting into synths...

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”