Bass > MIDI

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

raisinbag
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by raisinbag » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:34 am

One thing I have been wanting to try for my guitar is the ghost stuff from graphtech. They have a version for bass. You have to swap out your saddles for the ghost ones, but each saddle picks up each strong separately and sends to a pcb that you have to instal in your axe and drill holes ect. I have usd Roland gk stuff and its ok, but I'm dyin to try out the graphtech system. Go have a look.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:46 am

The Industrial Radio stuff is amazing because it uses wired frets, it tracks in a much faster more accurate way.
Bit by bit app devs are working on software that tracks pretty good, better than the Roland stuff.

HotLoveDrama
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HotLoveDrama » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:53 am

Has anybody had any success with pitch tracker devices in Max for Live ?(IRCAMAX2 or Pitch Tracker in Time Machines collection from Cycling74)

I didn't find the right setting to make it work well with my Bass although the tracking seemed to be quick enough.

VinceL
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VinceL » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:44 am

As mentioned earlier in the thread, basses are just so low in frequency that it takes a long time to resolve the pitch and translate to MIDI.

If you want a bass that can be used as a normal bass plus has low latency MIDI capability for a reasonable price, I think the Peavey MIDIBase is your best (only?) option.

I picked one up on ebay a few years ago. It included the bass, MIDI unit, and the Peavey sound module. I was always worried about the multi-conductor cable failing. I found a brand new cable on ebay about a year later for an incredibly low price...I think some music store had gone out of business and they were selling everything off and didn't realize what it was.

Set up a search on ebay...they come up from time to time.

I've been very lucky buying basses on ebay....in addition to the MIDIBase, I've picked up a Dan Armstrong bass and an Epi EB3 Elite.
VinceL

-------------------------------------------
To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper: It's MU or No U

Headless4001
Learning to Wiggle

Midi Bass

Post by Headless4001 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:16 am

Hi

There is a new B2M which is worth a look - they have taken on board lots of user comments and complaints.

You have to adapt your playing style a bit to get clean triggering.

g

Mr.Rubenzo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mr.Rubenzo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Dcramer wrote:The Industrial Radio stuff is amazing because it uses wired frets, it tracks in a much faster more accurate way.
Bit by bit app devs are working on software that tracks pretty good, better than the Roland stuff.
I agree! Have seen some good reviews for both the four- and five stringed midi-bases from Industrial Radio. I'm considering one myself, after a new laptop and my upcoming modular addiction though... I don't exactly know how you define a 'fucktonne' but if it drifts around 4000 quid, there's your midi-bass/potential fucktonne! I am quite sure though that voltage pickups and bass synthesizers (i.e. Roland's GK-3B in conjunction with the GR-55) will be becoming better over the next few years. Good luck on your quest fellow bass-baker! :bananaguitar:

Mr.Rubenzo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mr.Rubenzo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Duplicate! Oops...

VinceL
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VinceL » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:19 pm

I believe the Industrial Radio guys were involved with the Peavey MIDIbase. Based upon the information on their website, it is definitely a very similar design to the Peavey MIDIbase.

But, the Industrial Radio bass is some very serious :75: :woah:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Peavey MIDIbase's come up on ebay regularly. There are 3 listed on ebay as I type this, and 2 are under $1,000. I'm very happy with mine which I purchased on ebay several years ago.
VinceL

-------------------------------------------
To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper: It's MU or No U

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:08 am

The main problem lies in the fact that most pitch to digital systems have an incredibly difficult time discerning the fundamental frequency in a bass. Think about the physics involved. A low E is 60Hz. That means it takes 16.666... ms for one cycle to occur. I don't know how much recording you do into DAWs, but 17ms of latency is a nightmare to try to play with. And that's assuming that once the frequency of the note is determined, transmission of the midi note, and triggering a synth are instantaneous, which is not how reality works.

When I ran this problem by Don Buchla, years ago, he suggested distorting the living shit out of the audio until it was reduced to a square wave, which would then be easier to read. I haven't tried this method, but it was an interesting idea. That said, the wired fret solution, to a decent degree, works.

Delta T
Common Wiggler

Post by Delta T » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:55 am

Something I've been meaning to try but haven't got around to, is running my bass into my POG 2 and then running it into an audio-midi program like Jam Origins Midi Guitar. The POG can put out an octave up signal which might prove to track well enough for pads, etc. I would just set the POG toutput only the octave up signal, which tends to have fewer harmonics hen a regular guitar string would. Percussive sounds like piano would probably be difficult because of conversion latency though.

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:44 am

Delta T wrote:Something I've been meaning to try but haven't got around to, is running my bass into my POG 2 and then running it into an audio-midi program like Jam Origins Midi Guitar. The POG can put out an octave up signal which might prove to track well enough for pads, etc. I would just set the POG toutput only the octave up signal, which tends to have fewer harmonics hen a regular guitar string would. Percussive sounds like piano would probably be difficult because of conversion latency though.
Jam Origins also makes a MIDI Bass program. Your solution might be good for reducing latency though, worth a try. They have a free trial version so it's no loss to have a crack at it. In my experience the bass version is ok and fun to mess around with but not something I would be comfortable playing live with.

shroomt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shroomt » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi everyone,

Reviving this thread to put in my two cents. Have had great success using the Roland GK-3B into the Roland GI-20 with the Bend Range set to 12 semitones.

All you have to do is make sure that the synth/softsynth you're playing through has the option of setting the bend range the same as the GI-20.

Works on poly and mono synths. Been successfully using it with my Oberheim Matrix 6 R and my Dreadbox Hades (which has a set bend range of + - 12)

Fret wrap and impeccable technique are essential.

I'll log on later and post some examples.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:18 am

I am back in the Bass>Midi game. I have a Peavey CyberBass. I need to dial it in but it does work as is.

Will share some vids after I dial it in.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:52 pm

It would be a dream come true to be able to play the bass and accurately control a synth with it.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

tdutz
Common Wiggler

Post by tdutz » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:26 am

Plus one for the Peavey Midibase! I had one for years and really liked it. It would occasionally mis-track a note though, so it's not ideal for live performance. It has lots of control settings and functions - most of which are accessible directly from the bass itself which is cool.

And yes the Industrial Radio ones look fantastic but are prohibitively expensive for us working stiffs.

Cheers!

Modrik
Common Wiggler

Post by Modrik » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:50 pm

deltaphoenix wrote:I am back in the Bass>Midi game. I have a Peavey CyberBass. I need to dial it in but it does work as is.

The CyberBass seems very rare and there´s not much info on the web. I´ve been curious about it. They made 4-5 models in this bass series and I think this was the last one.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:34 am

Modrik wrote:
deltaphoenix wrote:I am back in the Bass>Midi game. I have a Peavey CyberBass. I need to dial it in but it does work as is.

The CyberBass seems very rare and there´s not much info on the web. I´ve been curious about it. They made 4-5 models in this bass series and I think this was the last one.
Yeah they are maybe less utilitarian than the MidiBases. Their processor is supposed to be faster and they have a newer firmware than the Midibase. It is the last Peavey bass/midi controller before Steve Chick eventually started Industrial Radio.

wyrtti
Muffdiver's Helmet

Post by wyrtti » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:40 pm

I ran into this on the Internet:
https://www.rorguitars.com/products/expressiv-midi-bass

It seems like a different idea from the wired frets the Peavey et. al. basses. Not cheap either.

Anyway, I have had pretty good results with having a Roland hex-pickup on the 6 highest strings of the NS/Stick. Comfy 34” scale, combuned with thin strings, makes pitch to midi a bit easier than a normal bass.
Eschew obfuscation!

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”