Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Command Module 208C

Post by papz » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:16 am

Some minijack plugs work fine in a tinijax socket, others don't and make bad contact. The minijack sizes vary slightly between manufacturers, this is a "standard" with tolerance. :mrgreen:
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

adolan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adolan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:25 am

909one wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:36 pm
adolan wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:03 pm
Can someone explain to me the audio in/out tini jack deal? Like if you want to bring outside sound into the easel? If its Tini Jack what type of converter plug do ppl use? or do I need a special cable (like the tini>1/4" one SA Modular sells etc) am I overthinking this? seeing as only Buchla uses this format. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.
Eurorack 3.55m plug works fine. The Tinijack is like 3.58 or something. Just don't use the 3.58 in the euro or it will ruin your jacks. I have no idea why anyone would use another format that's so close in size it makes no sense. However Buchla has obviously been around since before Euro so maybe Eurorack just adopted a standard that's now ubiquitous and its the other was around. That's my ony gripe about Buchla so far, I like the idea of audio and cv being interchangeable.
Thank you!

adolan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adolan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:26 am

papz wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:16 am
Some minijack plugs work fine in a tinijax socket, others don't and make bad contact. The minijack sizes vary slightly between manufacturers, this is a "standard" with tolerance. :mrgreen:
Thank you!

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:54 pm

So I got the Sensel Morph, it was a major PITA to set up. There doesn't seem to be any obvious way to be able to edit the presets in the Sensel app live while having it connected to the 208, unless you run a DAW like Live and assign a whole session with Midi ins and outs that allows the usb to pass midi data from the Morph through the computer and back out to the 208. Am I missing something here?

NazzNomi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NazzNomi » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:58 pm

I don't believe you can edit the Sensel Morph presets and use it as a Midi controller at the same time. I'm using a series of Max MSP objects and Lemur to change how my Sensel Morph Thunder interacts with the Easel Command. This allows me to make changes while playing and save a session in Live if I want to come back to them later. This also allows me to save more than 9 presets for the Thunder.
Last edited by NazzNomi on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:19 pm

Yeah, I'm not digging the setup on this Morph, software is buggy. Have to unplug and plug back into 208 every time you want to see changes. It doesn't seem like you can copy one set to the next. I tried copying and pasting the note parameters from one key to the next and it made shit buggy. MPE fucks everything up on the 2O8, pitch is all over the place. This reminds me why every time I try anything midi I always end up scrapping it in the end.

makers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by makers » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:29 am

Yeah, the Sensel programming process is going to be a bit tedious. I haven't put the time into building presets yet. I think the best method will be identfy what pad settings you want through trial an error, then to carefully input each variable into each pad. Then go back over each one to check your work.

I will likely remove the pitch bend on X side to side wiggle. I find it too disruptive to stable pitch for performance. It will probably be more usable if we reduce the pitch bend range. I will map Y up and down motion to CC1 Timbre or CC2 Modulation Depth on channel one.

The important question then is what notes (scales) to assign to each pad. I will pick 3 or 4 and put them on each preset. Scale choices is pretty individual. It would be nice to have a global transpose either in the Morph or in the Easel.

I plan to try mapping individual oscillator pitchbend to the pads. This might be nice if global pitch bend is removed from X wiggle.

I like Ahaas1138's method of patching Pressure straight to the LPG's. I wil certainly try that too.
Last edited by makers on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

tokyojoe
Common Wiggler

Post by tokyojoe » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:36 am

papz wrote:
I've found that TipTop Audio Stackables work best in lieu of actual TiniJax cables.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:40 am

makers wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:29 am
Yeah, the Sensel programming process is going to be a bit tedious. I haven't put the time into building presets yet. I think the best method will be identfy what pad settings you want through trial an error, then to carefully input each variable into each pad. Then go back over each one to check your work.

I will likely remove the pitch bend on X side to side wiggle. I find it too disruptive to a stable pitch for performance. It will probably be more usable if we reduce the pitch bend range. I will map Y up and down motion to CC1 Timber or CC2 Modulation Depth.

The important question then is what notes (scales) to assign to each pad. I will pick 3 or 4 and put them on each preset. Scale choices is pretty individual. It would be nice to have a global transpose either in the Morph or in the Easel.

I plan to try mapping individual oscillator pitchbend to the pads. This might be nice if global pitch bend is removed from X wiggle.
Ok, so I did sort out a decent way to make this editable on the fly. First off, don't use any MPE. Avoid at all costs. Second use Live or Logic or your DAW of choice, and plug the the Morph into one usb port on your computer and then another have it going out to the 208. With Live for example, I set up three midi tracks, one for each midi channel, having corresponding ins and outs for Sensel and 208 on each channel. It works really well now. I can monitor what midi channel the data is coming out of. Every time you make a change, hit send to Morph, it takes about 5 seconds but you can see your changes directly on the 208. I think it would be helpful to share some basic Sets for those getting started, to avoid this hassle. For the record, MPE was making Live and the 208 go haywire in this combo, I kept having to restart the 208 and Live. Which was very frustrating.

manateemilitia
Learning to Wiggle

Easel Command Travel Case?

Post by manateemilitia » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:14 am

Should be getting my Easel Command on Thursday, incredibly excited of course. Anyone found a protective travel case that fits the module?
My preference is for those on of those rigid soft cases. Barring that, anyone have the dimensions of the Command module so I can start looking up cases? Thanks!

skkatter
Veteran Wiggler

Post by skkatter » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:43 pm

Apologies if this has been asked already, but is there a new rogan knob set with two green ones?

AlexHeld
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AlexHeld » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:53 am

Hi there, can anyone tell me how the "m.o.freq or seq. s" works? Ive been playing around with it and apparently mine is set to sequencer stages wich is really cool, since i can now modifiy via cv how long those sequences are. But for some reason when switching to 3, I only get 2 stages playing... The 5 and 4 options work fine but 3 is now switched to 2 which is weird. I think its really cool to have more options regarding stages with the sequencers but I dont know how how to do it.

Anyone? Thank you in advance

ArguZ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ArguZ » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:59 am

papz wrote:
I would 100% suggest you use tini jack if you plan to perform live.
Euro plugs in tini jacks work until the moment you need them..
And then they start to drop out and your waves are not happy...
If you need to make a cable for that,do it...or ask Steffen at SAModular...but do not rely on Eurorack cables if you want good performance.
We have a live situation here in Copenhagen where that exact problem happened

Ahaas1138
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ahaas1138 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 pm

Here is a little jam I did trying out my first mapping on the sensel. That thing is tedious at best to program, but a joy to play once you get it to cooperate. Initial touch sends pulse, preasure also opens the gate. Y axis for timber, x for vibrato. Pressure on A and B pads controls mod depth.

episod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by episod » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:08 am

This looks like a great configuration! Any way you can share a screenshot of your Sensel Morph configuration screen?
Ahaas1138 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 pm
Here is a little jam I did trying out my first mapping on the sensel. That thing is tedious at best to program, but a joy to play once you get it to cooperate. Initial touch sends pulse, preasure also opens the gate. Y axis for timber, x for vibrato. Pressure on A and B pads controls mod depth.
Reality Technician on Soundcloud // @episod on Twitter

robbbiecloset
Learning to Wiggle

Post by robbbiecloset » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:04 am

My Easel Command has been stuck in Fedex `No scheduled delivery date available at this time.` plz pray for me.

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:55 am

robbbiecloset wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:04 am
My Easel Command has been stuck in Fedex `No scheduled delivery date available at this time.` plz pray for me.
oof been there, hope it turns up for you!

Ahaas1138
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ahaas1138 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:00 am

episod wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:08 am
This looks like a great configuration! Any way you can share a screenshot of your Sensel Morph configuration screen?
Ahaas1138 wrote:
Here the settings I have for that. All the "wings" are set up pretty much the same. Just the default major scale sensel already had, with cc1 on Y for timber, and cc14 on press, for cv out of purple preasure bananas. Pads A and B just have cc2 set to press for modulation amount. I tried ccs on the x and y of the pads but it was hard to control as they put out last location memory. The results were too wild for modulation amout. Anyway I hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:55 am

Ahaas1138 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:00 am
episod wrote:
Ahaas1138 wrote:
Here the settings I have for that. All the "wings" are set up pretty much the same. Just the default major scale sensel already had, with cc1 on Y for timber, and cc14 on press, for cv out of purple preasure bananas. Pads A and B just have cc2 set to press for modulation amount. I tried ccs on the x and y of the pads but it was hard to control as they put out last location memory. The results were too wild for modulation amout. Anyway I hope this helps
This is pretty much the way I set up mine too. One thing that is stumping me is that I'm trying to make a setup where I can have this with addition of the top row of buttons to play percussive things. So the slider wings will control volume by pressure cv for fade ins and the top buttons will fire the envelope or pulser. I can seem to find a way to do this seemlessly

Ahaas1138
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ahaas1138 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:27 pm

909one wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:55 am
Ahaas1138 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:00 am
episod wrote:
Ahaas1138 wrote:
This is pretty much the way I set up mine too. One thing that is stumping me is that I'm trying to make a setup where I can have this with addition of the top row of buttons to play percussive things. So the slider wings will control volume by pressure cv for fade ins and the top buttons will fire the envelope or pulser. I can seem to find a way to do this seemlessly
I've been thinking about this, and I havnt tried it yet. But I was gonna try using the mapping from the first preset of the thunder. They don't trigger the pulse, but send note changes and pressure. Then keep the top row of buttons like above for trigger events. I'm thinking that will be a good jump off

antonriehl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by antonriehl » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:37 pm

Picked up my Easel Command today from Noisebug, and already just lost in the sounds... I already felt "familiar" with the instrument from the Arturia plugin, and watching a million videos, but nothing prepares you for how quickly you can get amazing music out of this instrument... so glad to have this in my arsenal now!

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:15 pm

antonriehl wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:37 pm
Picked up my Easel Command today from Noisebug, and already just lost in the sounds...
Just curious, did you pre-order this? NB has shown Sold Out for the last couple weeks or so. I do want to pick one up (already bought the Sensel a few months back on a great sale) but since they show out of stock then figured it will give me a bit more time to save up for it anyway.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

antonriehl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by antonriehl » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:36 pm

Synth Con Meo wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:15 pm
antonriehl wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:37 pm
Picked up my Easel Command today from Noisebug, and already just lost in the sounds...
Just curious, did you pre-order this? NB has shown Sold Out for the last couple weeks or so. I do want to pick one up (already bought the Sensel a few months back on a great sale) but since they show out of stock then figured it will give me a bit more time to save up for it anyway.
I did pre-order, and I know they sold out of this batch already, (I almost had to wait for the next batch), but they told me they will fill all their pre-orders on the next batch, and should have some extras afterwards. They are expecting more in about 2 weeks. (But all this is subject to change, and phone call we had last Thursday.)

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:58 pm

Lucky enough to my hands on one of these (a command) today. What a beautiful and inspiring machine. I was dreading not liking it (unsure from digital emulations and wondering if I would be able to dial it in) ...... but it’s just incredible, lovely controls, one sonic sweet spot after another and so much flexibility in sequencing and control.

Everything works just how it should and so performable. Can’t wait to dive in more tomorrow.

J

nickbaba
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nickbaba » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:55 pm

Just got mine here in the UK yesterday. Really into it... for some reason I seem to be able to work with this much better than my BEMI Easel which always felt like a struggle. Really digging the 208c additions like CV over Env stages, VCO cross-mod etc.

One question about sync b/t the EC and eurorack... CV/Gate works fine from euro but I'd like to sync the EC from a euro clock, but don't see an obvious way to do that eg a 3.5mm Pulser input. My workaround has been to send 16 Gates/bar to the EC Gate input then sync the pulser & seq to that...seems to work kinda. Anyone else doing this? Or some other way?

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”