Is Don CTO @ BEMI?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Is Don CTO @ BEMI?

Post by 3001 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:33 am

Hey, I tried researching this. the 2012 NaMM news seems to state that Don would stay acting as CTO @ BEMI, is this true? or has this changed.

I'm curious. As I talked to Laurie @ BEMI the other day. On an issue she said she had to confirm with her "engineers @ berkley" hmm.

Or is he completeo gone? :waah: One of the things I really like about Buchla, even 200e is Don's involvement and the history behind it.
http://www.soundcloud.com/hal3001
-
Otter Space is Inner Space

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Location: ̋͋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̏̏ ̏ ˳̊̊̊̊̊ ˳̥̥̥̥̥̊̊̊̊̊̊̊˳̥˯Ξ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▂ ̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋

Post by solaris » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:41 am

sacha victoria asked a bunch of times and nobody answered (afaik),
so since i'm a bit curious as well:

has anyone talked with don recently?
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ t r a n s f e k t i o n ▔▔▔▔╲▂▂▁▂▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂▁▁
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▔╲▂̥̥̊̊̊̊▂ ‬::.:::.h++p://z.x-xx---x.info □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □‬

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3001 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:30 am

Doing some investigation from Kent's interview with BEMI @ Grant's Pass:
K: What appears to be the case is that BEMI in Grants Pass, Oregon is the corporate headquarters and that it now, in terms of sales, an Oregon-based company. The question of having to pay Sales Tax in California has come up a few times.
M: Now that product is shipped from here, normal sales tax rules are followed. The bottom line is that: Don lives in Berkeley. The R&D office is in Berkeley. Wait, let me rephrase that: “DON’s” R&D office is in Berkeley. Now that Jeff is here as Director of Engineering; there is engineering and development going on here in parallel. One doesn’t supplant the other. All sales, all invoicing, all support… well, everything except Don sitting in front of something and designing is done up here now.
So it looks like Don's still involved, wonder if CTO level though. hmmm. I wonder if he has veto power.
-

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:45 am

Don is currently working on something new. It is 2 panels wide and very "Don", apparently. It is almost done and it has the ability to remove cash from bank accounts.

That's all I know as I don't like to pry into these matters.

abendrot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abendrot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:00 am

Kent wrote:Don is currently working on something new. It is 2 panels wide and very "Don", apparently. It is almost done and it has the ability to remove cash from bank accounts.

Yes!!! :tu:

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:10 am

Came across this cool story from Howard Moscovitz over at electro-music.com (go to the link to see pictures):

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60887
Here is something special that I've been meaning to post for about 10 years, but I never got around to it. This is the first circuit that Don Buchla ever made. Here's the story:

Way back in 1972 I got a job with Don Buchla as an electronics tech. This was in the very early days of the infamous Electric Symphony Orchestra project. One day in the early summer, he took me, and all three of the other employees, to help him clean up his old place, because he had just moved. His old place was fabulous. He had an entire WW-II temporary building at the Oakland, California airport. It was a wooden, barracks-like building - very cool. For those who would know, it was very near the old Mike Quinn Surplus store, and it was the same type of structure. There were many stories circulating at the time of fantastic parties there in the sixties, some with The Greatfull Dead and other now-famous people. I don't know much about that, but the place was just perfect for parties in the sixties. This was the coolest pad I'd ever seen.

Anyway, the work we did was mostly carrying stuff out of the building to either a garbage can, or to Don's car. (I can't remember what kind of car). I didn't like doing this it because it was physical work, and it was very dusty.

At the end of the day, we were standing around talking before getting into our cars to leave. I just happened to glance into a trash barrel and saw this little box labeled, "The Buchla Machine". I asked Don, "What's this?".

He replied,"Oh, that's the first circuit I ever built. It has the first available commercial transistor in there." He told me the number which I can't remember, but it wasn't a 2N number. Subsequent research tells me that it must have been in the mid 1950s.

"What does it do?", I asked. (My father was a journalist, so I know how to ask the right questions.)

"It's a distortion circuit.", he said.

I asked if he knew it was in the garbage. He said he didn't care. I said, "Can I have it?"

Don said, looking at me with disappointed amazement, "Why on Earth would anybody want this?"

I said, "I dunno, I would like to have it though."

He said, "Sure, you can have it, and any of the other garbage too." He pointed to plastic bags full of kitchen and bathroom trash.

Well, I've kept it as a treasure for all the last 41 or so years. As you can see, it's a mess. The batteries that were in it leaked and may of the wires and parts are disconnected. There's even a clip lead in there, and a resistor just jammed into the chassis; probably something that happened in the garbage can. Obviously this was an an experimental project. I have refrained from doing anything to it, not even blowing out the dust. I thought of taking it apart to look for a transistor number, but I have resisted.

Anyhow, at least I know from the horse's mouth that it is the oldest Buchla box in existence, and so, to me at least, it's quite groovy. I think it belongs in a museum, but, like Don would say, "What museum on Earth would want this?" The Chez Mosc Museum, of course.

Here are some pics I just took. I hope you enjoy them. If you ever come to Chez Mosc, you'll get to see it, and even touch it! It's not an autographed first edition of the Bible, but it's not a piece of garbage either...

The harmonica is in the pic for size reference. If you click on a picture, it will take you to a full res image.

ffh
1-Post Wiggler

Post by ffh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:22 am

Kent wrote:Don is currently working on something new. It is 2 panels wide and very "Don", apparently. It is almost done and it has the ability to remove cash from bank accounts.

isn't that the best way to find out … it's been great to see a few years ago when the 296e and the 272e were announced that these had this certain twist that's been so particular to Buchla

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MechaSeb » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:29 am

Isn't it a common functions of all Don creation's ? ... :deadbanana:

Very interesting post Cebec !
Thanks for the link :tu:

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:19 am

Oh, I hope this is what I think it is!
wtb: silence

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3001 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:27 am

sascha.victoria wrote:

Oh, I hope this is what I think it is!
And what's that? :popcorn:
-

richard
bananaphile

Post by richard » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:29 am

Kent wrote:Don is currently working on something new. It is 2 panels wide and very "Don", apparently.
well, without having a fucking clue what you are talking about even I'm interested in one of those. But does it do Dubstep?
Bastard Science Vol.1 and 2 (Hordik, Buchla, Serge, EMS, Oberheim) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-1
https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-2

Tales from the Voodoo Box (EMS Synthi A solos) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ynthesiser

Richard Scott - Several Circles https://cuspeditions.bandcamp.com/album ... al-circles

richard
bananaphile

Post by richard » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:30 am

hang on, its not an actual pair of bongos is it?
Bastard Science Vol.1 and 2 (Hordik, Buchla, Serge, EMS, Oberheim) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-1
https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-2

Tales from the Voodoo Box (EMS Synthi A solos) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ynthesiser

Richard Scott - Several Circles https://cuspeditions.bandcamp.com/album ... al-circles

abendrot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abendrot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:58 am

And they come with a manual :love:
Last edited by abendrot on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZenMusic
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ZenMusic » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:06 pm

first time I ever used "ignore" on this forum... it's great for removing those big images .. .. <edit> okay .. I'm better now .. removed the ignore .. I'd thought it disrespectable to Don but I see it's just humor (that's a hard concept for me.. next to Cynicism in difficultly to recognize) 8^)

3001 , Kent ?
Where is the interview that Kent did? can you point me to the text ?
Last edited by ZenMusic on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3001 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:16 pm

ZenMusic wrote:first time I ever used "ignore" on this forum... it's great for removing those big images ..

3001 , Kent ?
Where is the interview that Kent did? can you point me to the text ?
viewtopic.php?t=88876&highlight=interview
-

ZenMusic
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ZenMusic » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:37 pm

thanks! that was a great read ....

BHC303
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BHC303 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:51 pm

:mygod: :hyper: :75:
Dmmavar wrote:what do I need to get into drones
Pighood wrote:A bees nest and a small container of corn syrup.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:38 pm

All I'm going to say about the new thing (if it is indeed the same one Kent is talking about) is....

This is gonna be you guys:
Seriously though.

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MechaSeb » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:07 pm

:cat2:

science
Spending Spree!

Post by science » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:00 am

I hope whatever this new 2-panel thing is, is actually something new, and not another reissue. The Easel made sense, but now I really want to see Don do what he does best instead of revisiting old designs.

klontart
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klontart » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:35 am

If Don's work is what I hope it is I'm lost. :)
That will force me I to Buchla modular next to my easel.

Lyonel
button pusher

Post by Lyonel » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:53 am

A Multi-Delay in a 296e panel spirit ?

Minimoog56
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Minimoog56 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:48 am

It better have a barber pole! Or 16!

:wow: :wow: :beer: :wow:
Beatniks and Bongos/Bagels and Bongos/Buchlas and Bongos...

de gustibus....

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MechaSeb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:05 am

:cat2: :cat2:

Okay, too much excited about this news that i try a rehtorical approach :

Anyone has a secret info to share ?! :razz:

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Location: ̋͋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̏̏ ̏ ˳̊̊̊̊̊ ˳̥̥̥̥̥̊̊̊̊̊̊̊˳̥&#751;Ξ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿&#9602; ̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋

Post by solaris » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:29 am

of course someone has...
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ t r a n s f e k t i o n ▔▔▔▔╲▂▂▁▂▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂▁▁
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▔╲▂̥̥̊̊̊̊▂ ‬::.:::.h++p://z.x-xx---x.info □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □‬

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”