Buchla 218 Grounding vs. Balance Power - Resolved!

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Buchla 218 Grounding vs. Balance Power - Resolved!

Post by chiasticon » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:48 pm

Graham Hinton wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:26 pm
It leaves you ungrounded. Try a wire from the grounding port to a wrist strap or similar.
don't have a wrist strap but if I plug a banana cable into it and hold it or put it down my sock or something, as long as it's touching skin it's fine. but that's annoying. I'd love to find a way to tether the ground port to something in the studio.

Buchla says you can tether this to a pipe or radiator but I don't have those nearby.

their take on this is here:

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Buchla 218 Grounding vs. Balance Power - Resolved!

Post by Graham Hinton » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:54 am

chiasticon wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:48 pm
[don't have a wrist strap but if I plug a banana cable into it and hold it or put it down my sock or something, as long as it's touching skin it's fine. but that's annoying.
You can buy wrist straps and various other bondage gear for working with electrostatic sensitive electronics. The wrist straps are black carbon loaded plastic with a battery style press stud terminal. Yes, they are cumbersome. You can get bridles that slip over the heel of a shoe too, but they are just as likely to be tripped over.

A conductive mat that you can stand on connected to the Easel may work. Do you have an insulating carpet and/or shoe soles?
Do a search on "electrostatic bench mat" for ready made products or you could make an aluminium plate and attach a wire.
I'd love to find a way to tether the ground port to something in the studio.
The Easel is already grounded and that won't solve the problem. You need tethering to the Easel and I'm afraid there is no way around that.
Buchla says you can tether this to a pipe or radiator but I don't have those nearby.
That is not a good idea anyway and could be extremely dangerous if there were a close lightning strike.

Like so many manufacturers, they are confused between the seemingly conflicting requirements of grounding for safety, common reference and EMC. This is a common reference issue and connecting to the grounding port gives you a common reference with the Easel. It should also be connected to the mains Earth for safety, but that is a separate issue that is superimposed.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”