Buchla Easel Mods?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

InnnerSight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by InnnerSight » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks Papz - I'll have to improve my DIY skills then.

wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wsy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:03 pm

pelican wrote:I’ll tell you what would be a cool mod is to add a rechargeable battery and a pair of speakers to make it truly portable
I juiced my Easel-K with +12 volts from a lead-acid battery (the one inside a Crate Limo 50 watt battery powered amp). Worked for about
20 minutes, then no bueno (voltage fell too low), just under 12 volts. The BEMI-sold AC adapter puts out 12.31 volts unloaded, so the margin
is REALLLY small.

What worked better was a separate LiIon pack like this one (not exactly, but close) that has laptop recharge capability with selectable voltage.

Since the power is generated by a switcher, it's much more stable.

- Bill
"Life is short. But we can always buy longer patch cords" - Savage

Tropic Al
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tropic Al » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:31 am

papz wrote:It can be done via unused contacts of the program card slot but some extra internal wiring would be needed anyway.
No way to do it with a factory condition unit.
It would be great if it was possible to wire each LPGs output to one of the 'stereo' tinijax outputs so LPG one to L LPG two to R.

How difficult would this be on BEMI easel? Would it just be a case of disconnecting the cables that are currently going to the L and R outputs and connecting cables from each LPGs pot?

I don't understand why BEMI didn't just do this as standard anyway - whats the point in having STEREO outputs for a mono signal????

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:45 am

Maybe an extra amplifier would be needed for each output, but should be easy, the wires to the 1/4" outs is just connected via a 3 pin header.
This would loose the reverb for these outputs though...
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

Tropic Al
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tropic Al » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:49 am

Thanks for the reply Papz!

Would it be possible to leave the wires that are there on the pots and just route additional wires to the tinijax L and R (replacing what is there on the tinijax only)

Then the mix signal would still go through the reverb and come out of the quarter inch jack output on the side if the reverb was ever needed?

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:02 am

Yes this should work and is worth a try.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

fablesofsilence
Common Wiggler

Re: Buchla Easel Mods?

Post by fablesofsilence » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:00 am

And then normal the outputs so that if only one output is used , it actually is the mix. Shouldn’t that be possible?

lumin
Common Wiggler

Post by lumin » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:48 am

If i understand your question right, the 1/4" outputs are just like stock outputs. I have done the mod and I use the tinijax outs for separate processing of the CO & MO, but if I want both oscillators to be processed by internal reverb, then I go through the 1/4" outs like normal.
Hope this helps.

fablesofsilence
Common Wiggler

Post by fablesofsilence » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:22 pm

What I mean is that I would still like to get the mix out at the top outputs as long as only one of them is patched. Not sure if it makes a lot of sense... with having two top outs, a headphone out and two side outs, it should be possible to chose two for the per oscillator out without giving up too much. Still, I always like it when behavior only changes when it has to. So, one output patched = mixed osc with reverb, two outputs patched = separate osc outs and no reverb.

lumin
Common Wiggler

Post by lumin » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:25 pm

From my understanding, because of the way the reverb is applied in the circuit, you can't have separate oscillator outputs with reverb applied outputted to tinijax without modifiying the circuit itself. The reverb output goes to 1/4 outputs. It is not stereo so it can't be separated into 2 signals, one for each oscillator. You have control via the A/B volume knobs for how much signal gets sent to the reverb.
If you want to have control over reverb while also having a dry signal, then do the mod as described above. You have 2 outputs of unaffected oscillators through tinijax, 2 outputs via 1/4 with reverb amount applied, plus headphone jack. You don't lose any of them if cable is plugged in. They all function at the same time.

fablesofsilence
Common Wiggler

Post by fablesofsilence » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:51 am

Thanks for the clarification!

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”