Banana system pictures

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
nrdvrgr
Working at NASA on acid
Posts: 3584
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:17 pm
Location: Westmanland, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by nrdvrgr » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:40 am

Been a few years since I posted here... many setups have come and gone, but I think I am now at some kind of critical mass where I feel content (well, there are a few holes to fill in the Buchla, but that will be taken care of).
Serge side is a 73-75, Audio Interface/Creature, THC custom panel, TKB.
Buchla is a 208C with a bunch of 100-clones.
Attachments
IMG_9651.jpg
IMG_9653.jpg

User avatar
diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2380
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:50 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, USA

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by diophantine » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:43 am

nrdvrgr wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:40 am
Been a few years since I posted here... many setups have come and gone, but I think I am now at some kind of critical mass where I feel content (well, there are a few holes to fill in the Buchla, but that will be taken care of).
Serge side is a 73-75, Audio Interface/Creature, THC custom panel, TKB.
Buchla is a 208C with a bunch of 100-clones.
Nice to see! Is the cut-down Buchla 216 a custom job?

How do you like connecting the 208 with the 100 series modules? I have never tried with mine (they live in separate rooms...).

User avatar
aethyr
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 348
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Over the edges

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by aethyr » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:46 pm

the 216 is from JRB
diophantine wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:43 am
nrdvrgr wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:40 am
Been a few years since I posted here... many setups have come and gone, but I think I am now at some kind of critical mass where I feel content (well, there are a few holes to fill in the Buchla, but that will be taken care of).
Serge side is a 73-75, Audio Interface/Creature, THC custom panel, TKB.
Buchla is a 208C with a bunch of 100-clones.
Nice to see! Is the cut-down Buchla 216 a custom job?

How do you like connecting the 208 with the 100 series modules? I have never tried with mine (they live in separate rooms...).

User avatar
wsequeira
Polyphonic Wiggler
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: n.ca.usa

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by wsequeira » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:21 pm

nrdvrgr wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:40 am
Been a few years since I posted here... many setups have come and gone, but I think I am now at some kind of critical mass where I feel content (well, there are a few holes to fill in the Buchla, but that will be taken care of).
Serge side is a 73-75, Audio Interface/Creature, THC custom panel, TKB.
Buchla is a 208C with a bunch of 100-clones.
Nice system — like the wood finish/overall cabinet look/form factor., nice. :guinness:
Live in the heart, it's timeless.

User avatar
nrdvrgr
Working at NASA on acid
Posts: 3584
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:17 pm
Location: Westmanland, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by nrdvrgr » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:04 pm

Patching the 208c with the 100’s is great, it works like the main controller for the whole bunch.
The woodwork I made myself after thinking long and hard about ergonomics and workflow... I also did not screw the 73-75 / 208c into the cabinets - they are invisibly attached with velcro so that I can move them easily if I want to play them somewhere else without the whole setup.

User avatar
levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:53 pm
Location: Olympia

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by levelhead3 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:52 pm

nrdvrgr wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:04 pm
I also did not screw the 73-75 / 208c into the cabinets - they are invisibly attached with velcro so that I can move them easily if I want to play them somewhere else without the whole setup.
Super clever! :hail:

Also, great system in general - it's cool to see the Serge and Buchla formats envisioned together as one system like that. Very nice!

User avatar
hox3d
Common Wiggler
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:30 am
Location: Grenoble, Alps

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by hox3d » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:51 am

It is not much but it has reached a point where it looks and feels great.
I didn't really think this as a 'complete system' as I wanted to build random stuff to get me started.
Also, I needed some basic functions going to start developing my own designs/modules.
Anyway, here is the current state of the banana box:
DSC_0030.JPG
Now I can start building a three-tier case with proper planning.

User avatar
batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4981
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by batchas » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:53 pm

nrdvrgr wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:40 am
Been a few years since I posted here...
It's very cool to see you (back) here. Great system :sb:
-----------------------------------
FS: KESAKO Player & Reverb for Serge and Buchla

User avatar
tIB
Stainer!
Posts: 9577
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by tIB » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:44 am

Sounds like:


Looks like:
Attachments
IMG_20210117_105917857.jpg

User avatar
mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:59 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by mrbloor » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:59 am

tIB wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:44 am
Sounds like:


Looks like:
Sounds great (& looks good) :love:

User avatar
arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2093
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:53 am
Location: Alps

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by arnoux » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:00 am

tIB wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:44 am

Looks like:
There are more connection in that Serge than in an average human brain :eek: :yay:

+ love the banana CVIO

gnome666
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:26 am

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by gnome666 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:43 pm

state of the system
9 panel serge.jpg

User avatar
themanthatwasused
I don't speak that language anyway
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:20 pm
Location: Philippines

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by themanthatwasused » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:49 pm

gnome666 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:43 pm
state of the system
9 panel serge.jpg
This is a great looking system!
Do you have videos of this?
:deadbanana: :deadbanana:

gnome666
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:26 am

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by gnome666 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:18 am

themanthatwasused wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:49 pm
gnome666 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:43 pm
state of the system
9 panel serge.jpg
This is a great looking system!
Do you have videos of this?
:deadbanana: :deadbanana:
I have some videos of using some of the panels over on my IG page but since COVID hit, haven't really been too productive creatively....system has been rearranged and updated since most of those vids.


User avatar
themanthatwasused
I don't speak that language anyway
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:20 pm
Location: Philippines

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by themanthatwasused » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:39 am

gnome666 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:18 am
I have some videos of using some of the panels over on my IG page but since COVID hit, haven't really been too productive creatively....system has been rearranged and updated since most of those vids.
Followed!
Sounds great .

User avatar
NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Location: SFV, LAC

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:07 pm

Finally got some time to redesign the setup. Built new cases and stand that will make it easier to move around. Only a few things left to do, like build the last CGS module(a wave multiplier) and some DIY diode mults to fill the small gaps. Been switching between using the BPOOT Programmer sequencer and a dual fourses for control at the bottom. Very excited to get to spend more time with it!
IMG_0813.jpeg
IMG_0816.jpeg

User avatar
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper
Posts: 12494
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by Kent » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:18 pm

batchas wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:53 pm
nrdvrgr wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:40 am
Been a few years since I posted here...
It's very cool to see you (back) here. Great system :sb:
Ain't that the truth. Loved having him present here back in the day.

User avatar
Duplan
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:19 am
Location: Lyon, France

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by Duplan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:59 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:07 pm

IMG_0813.jpegIMG_0816.jpeg
:love: A liitle more info on that double metal disc phony thing would be cool !!

User avatar
Duplan
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:19 am
Location: Lyon, France

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by Duplan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:00 pm

Here's my packed desk
Attachments
IMG_1718.JPG

User avatar
NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Location: SFV, LAC

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:39 pm

Duplan wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:59 pm
NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:07 pm

IMG_0813.jpegIMG_0816.jpeg
:love: A liitle more info on that double metal disc phony thing would be cool !!
Sure thing!
It's a dual fourses touch synth that I put together from a couple flux monkey pcbs. He made them off of the original Ciat Lonbarde paper circuit TARP layout with the big improvement of an end stage amplifier. It has a mono summed output and a stereo one for right and left control individually. I also added a rotary switch with six settings for the base frequency of each individual oscillator. The large circles are touch pates that serve as listening nodes. They are polished aluminum glued with conductive paint to a copper disc which was then soldered to the jack in the middle. They are on transparent 3d printed risers with the leds for frequency inserted so they glow horizontally across the panel.

Basically any of the banana jacks can be either connected to it with a cable for drones and/or used as a temporary connection by hand with bare plugs inserted. any of the nodes can be connected to each other by hand or cable. It makes for some wild noises and interesting beating patterns on its own but really comes alive as an expressive instrument when run through effects. My favorite has been rings in sympathetic string mode, so I build a standalone one in a large pedal enclosure with some added utilities.
For this setup I've mainly been using it as a complex drone touch source to fm various oscillators or add in some very low bass lines. This thing does low well with the switch mod.

P.S. Your setup looks amazing. Must be hard to ever leave that space especially with a wing pinger and easel.

User avatar
Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2797
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:33 pm
Location: United States

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:17 pm

Duplan wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:00 pm
Here's my packed desk
Looks like a candy store. Awesome setup. And the GR-1 as a cherry on top.

User avatar
nrdvrgr
Working at NASA on acid
Posts: 3584
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:17 pm
Location: Westmanland, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by nrdvrgr » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:00 pm

Kent wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:18 pm
batchas wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:53 pm
nrdvrgr wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:40 am
Been a few years since I posted here...
It's very cool to see you (back) here. Great system :sb:
Ain't that the truth. Loved having him present here back in the day.
Hey Kent, I am still present, just been busy patching stuff and recording the results instead of posting here ;)
I will never abandon MW!
BTW, here is more banana stuff; currently recording an album where this setup has been the main sources:
Attachments
IMG_9927.jpg

User avatar
kedowe
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by kedowe » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:30 am

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:07 pm
Finally got some time to redesign the setup. Built new cases and stand that will make it easier to move around. Only a few things left to do, like build the last CGS module(a wave multiplier) and some DIY diode mults to fill the small gaps. Been switching between using the BPOOT Programmer sequencer and a dual fourses for control at the bottom. Very excited to get to spend more time with it!

IMG_0813.jpegIMG_0816.jpeg
Wow, nice setup!

User avatar
deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1394
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by deltaphoenix » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:06 am

Fun set-up there! What is that on the lower left?

User avatar
woVERTICES
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:19 pm

Re: Banana system pictures

Post by woVERTICES » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:52 pm

Deltaphoenix - looks like an Ex-Friend brand synth.
Best,
John

Post Reply

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”