Pairing Buchla modules with easel

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

zzelig
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zzelig » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:47 pm

Reviving this thread.
Now that I've owned my Easel for a bit I've come to really appreciate the Buchla workflow and sound and am contemplating selling some of my eurorack modules for a few more Buchla modules.
So, what would you consider good complements for the Music Easel? Would a 259r/e, 281e, and 292e be redundant?

Fuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by Fuzz » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:25 pm

It depends on what you're looking to do. I wanted more modulation and sequencing for my Easel so I started off with a 281r and a MARF. That's arguably too much modulation for the Easel to handle, but the patches got much more complex.

If you're looking for a whole 2nd voice, "259r/e, 281e, and 292e" is a great way to go. Or swap out the 281 and 292 for the "h" versions if you're planning on keeping things small. Another good module to pair with the Easel is a 267e as that brings noise, fluctuating random, s&h, and filtering to the table.

I suggest getting a Portabellabz BOB or 208 Toolbox with pulse inputs so you can drive the Easel's sequencer and pulser with other modules.
darksparkler.bandcamp.com - Music
sourceofuncertainty.audio - Podcast

zzelig
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zzelig » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:32 pm

Right thanks, I'll have to think about what I want...not sure yet. I do have a 208 Toolbox which is a great addition and am going to build a BOB soon. I was considering the 267e as well for the features you mentioned.

JamieDrouin
Common Wiggler

Post by JamieDrouin » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:30 pm

I've probably laboured over this exact question far more than I should have. To echo @Fuzz, it partially depends on what type of sound and compositional methods you wish to explore. My own discovery in expanding upon a 208 was how much sonic terrain the 208 covers all by itself. After much trial and error, I (personally) found the following modules expanded the 208 in a compelling way:

267e - Difficult to select a more diversely packed module than this one, which adds a completely different flavour of CV randomness/modulation to the 208, the aforementioned three types of noise, and two filters (that can also function as oscillators!) which can be modulated by both CV and additional audio for a super wide palette of signal processing to/from the 208. I owned both the 266e and 267e...I preferred what the 267e added to the 208.

281h & 292h - In addition to being an audibly different flavour than the same components in the 208, they pack signal mixing, self-cycling LFOs, and very musical clock division pulses to use in driving other modules...all in 1U.

285e - A super interesting module to self-patch, and can be used as a unique sounding oscillator on its own. A distinctly brighter sound than the 208's own modulated oscillator, with reasonably wide sound design possibilities.

Others will have different opinions, and not everyone shares my same musical goals. For me, an instrument must be very hands-on performative, and with a consistent surface UI. I don't enjoy modules which require pre-programming, screens, or that I can't simply start unpatched and at zero each studio session and get somewhere interesting within a few minutes (why I sold my 250e). That's the existing benefits of the 208, and I only wish to expand/enhance upon that.

After a few years of creating albums based entirely on a 208 + four (ever-changing) modules in a LEM-208 case, I find myself heading in non-analog sonic territory now, but hopefully my experiences above will be of some help to you. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Last edited by JamieDrouin on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzelig
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zzelig » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:43 pm

JamieDrouin wrote:
267e - Difficult to select a more diversely packed module than this one, which adds a completely different flavour of CV randomness/modulation to the 208, the aforementioned three types of noise, and two filters (that can also function as oscillators!) which can be modulated by both CV and additional audio for a super wide palette of signal processing to/from the 208. I owned both the 266e and 267e...I preferred what the 267e added to the 208.
Thanks for the input. Yes, it certainly appears that the 267e is a module that I'll be adding at some point, as CV modulation and randomness is something I can never seem to get enough of.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 pm

Have you heard about the VCS3 Card ? ;)

Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

zzelig
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zzelig » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:59 pm

papz wrote:Have you heard about the VCS3 Card ? ;)
pm sent :)

ArguZ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ArguZ » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:59 am

Make the Easel the centerpiece of your rig.
Turn your pulser into Midi clock, or your envelope into CC, extract notes from your sequencer and make all your other outboard gear follow the Easel.
The card talks to external effects like the Eventide H9 or the Strymon pedals natively (preset banks) but it also hold more exotic configs like Kilpatrick's REDOX or even BlackCorp's DDRM.
The 4 CV generators of the Easel are present at the bus, four more can by inserted into the middle row.
The right part of the panel handles pules and notes from the 208 and can even transcode aftertouch, velocity and an 8 octave note range.

zzelig
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Pairing Buchla modules with easel

Post by zzelig » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:38 am

I've updated my setup and need a bit of advice: between the 251e or the 256e what would you choose in this system to pair with the Music Easel? All the other modules are already in place and spoken for.

https://www.modulargrid.net/u/racks/view/1138235

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”