Random*Source Serge Mantra panel

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

User avatar
The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 am
Location: Alpes de Haute Provence
Contact:

Random*Source Serge Mantra panel

Post by The Junglechrist » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:44 am

Hey there everyone ! I got one of those thing as my first 4U panel after a few years of eurorack expansion.

As there is no deicated thread on this panel I figured i'll create one. I'm wondering if there is any other users out there ? Any people curious about it feel free to fire up questions and i'll try to anwser.

We will make some videos about it with my youtube channel Wired Brain, I will post those here as well.

Anyway so far i'm totaly in love with it, the DUSG sound fantastic (maybe my favorite saw wave ever), I could ping that VCFQ for month and not be bored of the sound of it, it make crazy good acid sounds, the Sequencer is super fun to play with, hell of an instrument !


Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

User avatar
lasesentaysiete
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1534
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:23 am
Location: Barcelona

Re: Random*Source Serge Mantra panel

Post by lasesentaysiete » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:02 am

The Junglechrist wrote: the DUSG sound fantastic (maybe my favorite saw wave ever)
I agree. It is underrated as an oscillator.

Enjoy!

User avatar
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1865
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Post by luketeaford » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:47 am

I have the DUSG in euro format, but the thing that surprised me so much about it is that it sounds GREAT, perhaps especially in a filter. Somewhere in Rob Hordijk's Nord Modular site, he mentions that the rising edges of waves has an effect on the filter sound and that is very clear when you combine the DUSG with a serge filter and then replace it with the saw from the NTO for example.

Looks like a great panel, and I'm looking forward to some videos!

User avatar
The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 am
Location: Alpes de Haute Provence
Contact:

Post by The Junglechrist » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:29 pm

The Euro version of the Dusg is what got me thinking I would like to have a 4U Serge panel. Realy happy I did ! I’m very impressed by the overall sound (and build) quality so far.


Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

User avatar
mathomas
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:35 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by mathomas » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:53 pm

Congrats! That’s my dream starter panel.

User avatar
The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 am
Location: Alpes de Haute Provence
Contact:

Post by The Junglechrist » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:04 am

First patch with the beast last week, shit sound sorry but the real videos are coming soon ;-)



Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

User avatar
mathomas
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:35 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by mathomas » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:26 am

The Junglechrist wrote:First patch with the beast last week, shit sound sorry but the real videos are coming soon ;-)

:tu: :banana:

User avatar
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:31 am
Location: Amsterdam, NL

Post by wavecircle » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:20 am

The Junglechrist wrote:First patch with the beast last week, shit sound sorry but the real videos are coming soon ;-)

Cool first patch, followed!
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

User avatar
lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: UK

Post by lud » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:14 pm

Really juicy panel, loads of fun there... looking forward to hearing more!

User avatar
The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 am
Location: Alpes de Haute Provence
Contact:

Post by The Junglechrist » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:44 am

Joy and happiness ! Here the first Patch From Scratch video with the Mantra !

[video][/video]


Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:53 am

The more i look at it the more i want one. :deadbanana:

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2730
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Post by FatRocky » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:19 am

excellent thanks for sharing :yay:

it would be awesome to know which roles can the Active Proc play in that panel. That one doesn´t come in R*S 4x4 format which is a pity , i hope it does one day.

User avatar
The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 am
Location: Alpes de Haute Provence
Contact:

Post by The Junglechrist » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:45 am

FatRocky wrote:excellent thanks for sharing :yay:

it would be awesome to know which roles can the Active Proc play in that panel. That one doesn´t come in R*S 4x4 format which is a pity , i hope it does one day.
Your welcome ! There will be more videos on it soon.

About the Active Pro so far I didn't get deep into it; basic use are of course crossfader / mixer / VCA / attenuator, the flip flop make a very nice suboscillator or basic clock divider (by two).


Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

User avatar
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:31 am
Location: Amsterdam, NL

Post by wavecircle » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:19 am

The Junglechrist wrote:
FatRocky wrote:excellent thanks for sharing :yay:

it would be awesome to know which roles can the Active Proc play in that panel. That one doesn´t come in R*S 4x4 format which is a pity , i hope it does one day.
Your welcome ! There will be more videos on it soon.

About the Active Pro so far I didn't get deep into it; basic use are of course crossfader / mixer / VCA / attenuator, the flip flop make a very nice suboscillator or basic clock divider (by two).
Could you try a patch for me please? I am thinking about upgrading to the RS ACPR on my system.

I would like to know if the ACPR can act as a precise switch between two voltages under CV. This allows you to turn the 2x8 sequencer into a 1x16 set up. All other weird relationships are possible using a clock divider to jump between sequencer channels.

If you input the same fixed voltage to both inputs of the ACPR and use a gate to the CV in (knob should be at full CCW), does the voltage stay the same level? That part is quite important so there is no deviation in voltage.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

User avatar
The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 am
Location: Alpes de Haute Provence
Contact:

Post by The Junglechrist » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:45 am

I’ll try that tomorrow if have time ;-)


Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

User avatar
lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: UK

Post by lud » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:50 am

Did you try the CGS and STS active processors and get poor results wavecircle?

User avatar
The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 am
Location: Alpes de Haute Provence
Contact:

Post by The Junglechrist » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:08 am

wavecircle wrote:If you input the same fixed voltage to both inputs of the ACPR and use a gate to the CV in (knob should be at full CCW), does the voltage stay the same level? That part is quite important so there is no deviation in voltage.
I just tried it, there is a 40 ct of pitch drop between the two channels, it also occur with nothing patched in. Appart from that the transition between the two voltages with a gate is not audible.


Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

User avatar
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:31 am
Location: Amsterdam, NL

Post by wavecircle » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:02 am

The Junglechrist wrote:
wavecircle wrote:If you input the same fixed voltage to both inputs of the ACPR and use a gate to the CV in (knob should be at full CCW), does the voltage stay the same level? That part is quite important so there is no deviation in voltage.
I just tried it, there is a 40 ct of pitch drop between the two channels, it also occur with nothing patched in. Appart from that the transition between the two voltages with a gate is not audible.
Ace, thank you for trying this patch.

I have a stroh crossfader in my system, it's not really intended to be quite the same thing as the active processor. I think I will be making the upgrade and pop some extra holes in for the flip flop.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

User avatar
The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 am
Location: Alpes de Haute Provence
Contact:

Post by The Junglechrist » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:30 am

That said it does work very well as a switch for the sequencer.


Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2730
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Post by FatRocky » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:05 pm

wavecircle wrote:
The Junglechrist wrote:
wavecircle wrote:If you input the same fixed voltage to both inputs of the ACPR and use a gate to the CV in (knob should be at full CCW), does the voltage stay the same level? That part is quite important so there is no deviation in voltage.
I just tried it, there is a 40 ct of pitch drop between the two channels, it also occur with nothing patched in. Appart from that the transition between the two voltages with a gate is not audible.
Ace, thank you for trying this patch.

I have a stroh crossfader in my system, it's not really intended to be quite the same thing as the active processor. I think I will be making the upgrade and pop some extra holes in for the flip flop.

Do you mean it´s possible to buy only the R*S Active Pro PCB ( from the Mantra panel) in their website?

User avatar
The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 am
Location: Alpes de Haute Provence
Contact:

Post by The Junglechrist » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:48 am

Quick and dirty jam from yesterday that will surely turn into a track soon. Yocto 808 + Mantra = Pure weirdo electro



Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

User avatar
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:31 am
Location: Amsterdam, NL

Post by wavecircle » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:57 am

FatRocky wrote:
wavecircle wrote:
The Junglechrist wrote:
wavecircle wrote:If you input the same fixed voltage to both inputs of the ACPR and use a gate to the CV in (knob should be at full CCW), does the voltage stay the same level? That part is quite important so there is no deviation in voltage.
I just tried it, there is a 40 ct of pitch drop between the two channels, it also occur with nothing patched in. Appart from that the transition between the two voltages with a gate is not audible.
Ace, thank you for trying this patch.

I have a stroh crossfader in my system, it's not really intended to be quite the same thing as the active processor. I think I will be making the upgrade and pop some extra holes in for the flip flop.

Do you mean it´s possible to buy only the R*S Active Pro PCB ( from the Mantra panel) in their website?
Yep, just email Ralf. He has always been cool about buying individual pcbs. I have lots in my system but the active processor wasn't available when my build started.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

User avatar
FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2730
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Post by FatRocky » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:00 pm

wavecircle wrote:
FatRocky wrote:
wavecircle wrote:
The Junglechrist wrote:
wavecircle wrote:If you input the same fixed voltage to both inputs of the ACPR and use a gate to the CV in (knob should be at full CCW), does the voltage stay the same level? That part is quite important so there is no deviation in voltage.
I just tried it, there is a 40 ct of pitch drop between the two channels, it also occur with nothing patched in. Appart from that the transition between the two voltages with a gate is not audible.
Ace, thank you for trying this patch.

I have a stroh crossfader in my system, it's not really intended to be quite the same thing as the active processor. I think I will be making the upgrade and pop some extra holes in for the flip flop.

Do you mean it´s possible to buy only the R*S Active Pro PCB ( from the Mantra panel) in their website?
Yep, just email Ralf. He has always been cool about buying individual pcbs. I have lots in my system but the active processor wasn't available when my build started.
i´ll do that , thanks!

:tu:

User avatar
The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 am
Location: Alpes de Haute Provence
Contact:

Post by The Junglechrist » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:49 am

Hey there everyone ! I'm happy to present you our big "10 Patches" video on the Mantra panel !

[video][/video]


Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:07 am

Some really cool patches!

Post Reply

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”