The VCS3 Card : Every 208 / Easel needs a SYNTHI !

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

Karl71
Common Wiggler

Post by Karl71 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:48 pm

Incredible work papz. :yay:

vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vgermuse » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:13 pm

Installment Three :party:

A brief exploration of the Mixer Modulation Output and just one of the myriad possible routings.
Let your imaginations run wild . . .

[video][/video]

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:46 pm

Wow, very cool project! :bananaguitar:

seeasound
Common Wiggler

Post by seeasound » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:17 am

This sounds great for sure.

But im wondering why there are no normaled modulation options on the card synthi using the card bus? Except for the keyboard control off course.

Is it possible to customize the empty bottom section and fill it modulation switches?

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:30 am

Patch points are more versatile than switches.

Behind the panel empty bottom section is the dense circuit, there's no room to add switches, and there will be labeling on the final version.

Here's a render : http://gerblook.org/pcb/kTZ6BKUnzGPNHtgTzyzRzJ
Last edited by papz on Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vgermuse » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:13 pm

4th installment and last one for awhile. I've created a playlist here:

[video][/video]

Looking forward to other demos from you all! :-)

bcomnes
Common Wiggler

Post by bcomnes » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:06 pm

Hey Papz , so if I get this Synthi card with plug in slot...and plug a 208 toolbox onto the back of that , how do the TO CARD inputs handle things?

Also how long is the wait list for pre-assembled at this time...?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too Loud?

Too Bad
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:58 am

At the time of writing there are 9 persons on the waiting list but I guess it will continue to grow thanks to Todd's great videos :hail:

If the Synthi Card is plugged together with a ToolBox that uses the 208's inverter "to prog" socket as an option input, the signal patched to this socket will be routed to both the ToolBox's option and Synthi Card RVG clock in.
A mini slide switch can be added onto the ToolBox's edge connector contact to disable this input when desired.
It's pretty straightforward and I'll be happy to give detailed info in private on how to do it.

bcomnes
Common Wiggler

Post by bcomnes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:15 pm

Hey Papz, thanks for update, that switch would resolve it IMHO, now to next question

Would the MIDI in to the Easel pass its note-on and pitch info to the Synthi card? I'm showing my ignorance here, as I'm not sure how the Easel does it internally,

I'm thinking hard on this one, really want one, but am a bit constrained by other life forces at the moment, will stay in touch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too Loud?

Too Bad
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:22 pm

All contacts of the rear edge connector are connected to the 208's ones, no signal is lost or discarded when a card is plugged via the rear connector of another one.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:17 am

pathein
Common Wiggler

Post by pathein » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:17 pm

Hi papz,

from the BOM, the 1k tempco resistors amount is not listed, am wondering if only 1 or more are needed for the diy set?

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:36 pm

Yes it's one tempco only. I'll correct the BOM, thanks for pointing this.

search64
Ultra Wiggler

Post by search64 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:20 am

If you do requests... I would love love love to have a DUSG card for the Easel. It's the one module I'm really missing from my Eurorack days (I made a Clarke86 Quad Slope which would be even better).

This will definitely be my next synthi purchase though! Sounds amazing.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:33 am

A DUSG card sounds very possible but I'd need to familiarize with the module operation first, my experience with Serge is quite limited, unlike the Synthi, and the only system I own is a DIY 73-75 that has no DUSG.

search64
Ultra Wiggler

Post by search64 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:49 am

Ever used a Make Noise Maths? It's basically the same thing as that, minus the mixer.

Here's the schematic and information from CGS:
http://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/cgs/ ... _dusg.html

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:14 am

My eurorack system was already long gone when the Maths was released, I never used one.

I meant that to make such a card I find it essential to have a good experience of the DUSG operation, ie having played it myself for some time and fully understand it to be sure that the card works as it should and there's no bug that I could miss.

search64
Ultra Wiggler

Post by search64 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:17 am

That makes sense.

darmklacht@gmail.com
Wiggling with Experience

Post by darmklacht@gmail.com » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:51 am

Cool to see this is out in the wild!

the card is pretty much a must buy. it really adds to the easel big time. it´s quite simple to comprihend but the possibilities are pleeeeeeeeeeenty. modulation and timbre wise.
Its great for new inspiration but doesn´t stray to far off the keeping it simple and compact idea

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks !

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:16 am

The PCBs just arrived. :banana:
I'll build and test one this week, I did some improvements to ease DIY build and calibration, the sound, features and performance remain the exact same ones as the prototype of course, nothing will change from a users point of view.
If all works as it should the DIY sets will be available on my website in a few days.

search64
Ultra Wiggler

Post by search64 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:02 am

That's tight! Is there room for sockets for the ICs?

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:47 am

Yes

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:11 am

I just finished the build, all is ok.

The added trimpots to replace the shape SOT resistors work fine. :tu:

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”